Thoughts on Jeremy Hermida? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Jeremy Hermida?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on Jeremy Hermida?

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:36 pm

We all know this kid was one of Baseball America's golden boys, ranked the 4th-best prospect in their 2006 pre-season rankings and was a fashionable pick for NL Rookie of the Year by a lot of pre-season prognosticators. Now after suffering injury upon injury since the start of the '06 season, he's been playing everyday since coming off the DL in late May and showing a little bit of power and flashes of his overall potential here and there - today he had a homer and double off of Peavy.

It seems like he's had every part of the lower half of his body injured - a stress fracture in right ankle and strained right hip flexor in '06 kept him out of action most of the year and this year he fouled a ball off his knee-cap near the end of Spring Training and had a deep bruise there, which kept him out till May.

What's everyone's take on him? Can he be trusted to stay healthy, and maybe get in a groove? Is he injury-prone or unlucky? Is he a waste of a roster spot in a 12-team league? It seems a little hard to tell at this point, but someone with this much potential seems worth taking a flyer on if he's on your league's waivers, esp. in a keeper league.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thoughts on Jeremy Hermida?

Postby zepfan » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:55 am

I've got him stashed on my bench in my 12 team keeper. I think luck may have something to do with it. Some of his split stats are a little odd too. He's only batting .204 vs. righties which you would think would have to increase. Also, I know the Marlins play in a pitcher's park but not to the extent that his home/away stats would indicate. His OPS at home is .537 vs .904 on the road. Not that these stats mean too much but they're just too weird to assume that luck hasn't been a factor in his final line so far.
I'm gonna hang on to him for now. As you mentioned, he has shown some power and it could be that he is just slow to recover from his injuries. In a redraft I probably wouldn't bother for this year. I still think he has some major potential in a keeper but I've tempered my expectations a bit compared to when I drafted him at the beginning of last year. I still think he could be a star though.
Also, does anyone know if he had a long injury history in the minors? I'm hoping luck has aslo been a factor in the rash of injuries he has had over the last year and a half.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers