Carlos Comez (Broken Hand) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Carlos Comez (Broken Hand)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Carlos Comez (Broken Hand)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:25 pm

New York Mets outfielder Carlos Gomez will miss 6-8 weeks after breaking a bone in his left hand. Gomez, 21, broke the hamate bone in his hand on a check swing in the sixth inning of the Mets’ 17-7 loss to Colorado on Wednesday, assistant general manager John Ricco said.
Gomez flew to Houston with the team, then caught a morning flight back to New York, where he had surgery scheduled for Thursday night. He was hitting .250 with two homers and 11 RBIs in 42 games.
The Mets recalled David Newhan from Triple-A New Orleans to replace Gomez on the roster.

Yahoo! | FULL STORY
:,-(
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Carlos Comez (Broken Hand)

Postby blubombers » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:44 pm

Any chance that Lastings Milledge gets the call to showcase his talent for a potential trade. I would love to see him come to Houston via a Jason Jennings trade to play CF. Then the Astros could move Pence to right field. :-? ;-D

Special thanks to GiantsFan14 for the awesome sig.
blubombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nyrblue2 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:18 am

He won't be called up for at least a few weeks, if he even gets called up at all. He's been dealing with a sprained foot for a while and is just now preparing to get some rhab starts in single-A. I know he hasn't really lived up to expectations (when he was up with the Mets last year), but with all the injuries (Chavez, Alou, Gomez) they might need him.
nyrblue2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby in10s » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:46 pm

I think Milledge is called up for the Mets first post all star game on Thursday. One of the NY sports talks radio stations made it breaking news as a done deal. Print media has been more along the "maybe" path. (see one example: http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ ... mets-print)

My thoughts is since the minor leagues are not taking a break, they leave Milleege there till Thursday so he can get more at bats Mon, Tue, Wed. But since they are sending Ledee down, Milledge will start on Thursday.

Not sure if they can get him in games each day. I didn't check all the schedules, but I think AAA team is off, The AA team he is currently on only plays tonight, 7/9 but are off 7/10 and 7/11. A+ plays 7/9 and 7/11, but not 7/10.

No guarentee, but if I was a betting man I would put money down on him starting on Thursday.
in10s
College Coach
College Coach

Postby NYCBuckeye » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:34 pm

When is Alou expected back? What a wacky injury year for Mets outfielders: Green, Alou, Chavez, Gomez all with stays on the DL, Beltran has been playing hurt most of the year. Guess its a blessing the Mets are still in first place.
NYCBuckeye
College Coach
College Coach

Postby in10s » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:54 pm

NYCBuckeye wrote:When is Alou expected back? What a wacky injury year for Mets outfielders: Green, Alou, Chavez, Gomez all with stays on the DL, Beltran has been playing hurt most of the year. Guess its a blessing the Mets are still in first place.

I can't remember seeing a first place team with an outfield as beat up as the Mets. In addition to your list of DL players, don't forget Milledge was on the minor league DL for a long time too. (But that might have been fortunate, giving Gomez playing time in the bigs so the Mets see he might be for real.)

Anyway, on Alou's return, I don't have a clue. Last reasonable date I heard was end of July early August. But some reports were saying sooner, say around the 23rd. I don't buy that date.

Also, since he got off the DL, Green's numbers have stunk like he did back in Spring Training when we thought he was done. Seems like the first third of the season for him couldn't be a fluke and he will be ok. But between Green slumping, Alou and Beltran hurting, maybe Milledge will get enough at bats to see if his spring training was a real indication of him being ready to play.
in10s
College Coach
College Coach

Postby in10s » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:57 am

Milledge update: last night 2 for 4. Oh, the two were bombs.

Nice article: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/10/sport ... ei=5087%0A That article says:
He is now headed to Brooklyn to play with the Class A Cyclones during the All-Star Game break, which will put him only a short drive from Queens. He will probably start the second half of the Mets’ season at Shea Stadium,

But, Cyclones are off tonight and on the road tomorrow, so not the short drive away from Queens.

If I was a betting man, I would bet Milledge goes somewhere to get at bats on Wed and starts in left field for the Mets on Thursday night against the reds at Shea.

The only reason he can't get at bats today is because no minor league games are scheduled on the day of the All Star game.
in10s
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates