Congratulations Chris Young and Hideki Okajima - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Congratulations Chris Young and Hideki Okajima

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Congratulations Chris Young and Hideki Okajima

Postby arod77 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:38 pm

quote="davidmarver"]
IrishSox14 wrote:Here in Chicago on the Mike and Mike show on AM 670 the score...they predicted and expected Big Z to get in...Once again they seem to be wrong :-?

I'm not sure how someone could vote for Zambrano over Chris Young and look in the mirror while still considering himself a baseball fan. Thank God he didn't get Hafnered.[/quote]

I would never have watched another All star game again if Chris Young didn't get in. This guy has a 2.00 ERA.

He's had 7 starts where he hasn't allowed a run, 4 starts where he's only allowed 1 run and 2 starts only allowing 2. That's 13 or 17 starts allowing 2 of fewer runs. The padres are 12-5 in games he's started.

In the last month, he is 2-0 with a 1.23 ERA and 39 K's in 36 innings. Young should have a better record but the Padres don't score for him. In his last start, he pitched 7 Shutout innings, while striking out 9. The padres won 1-0 but they scored in the 9th and CY got a No decision.
arod77
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby arod77 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:44 pm

byfrcp wrote:
sdfan wrote:Honestly I was more bothered that Larussa didnt pick Young in the 1st place. Arguably the 4th best pitcher the 1st half of the season in all of baseball has to resort to a fan vote to get in. Ridiculous :-t

LaRussa has very little say in the matter. Years ago maybe, but now players are voted in mostly by other players.

Larussa had 3 spots on the pitching staff that he could fill. He filled them with RP's. Apparantly, he though Brian Fuentas (4.06 ERA) and Jose Valverde (2.70 ERA) were more deserving. I can understand if those teams weren't represented but both of them were. Larussa is a JOKE!!!
arod77
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BJSFAN123 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:59 pm

Young should have an insane amount of more wins..many games he puts up a 0 er and doesnt get ANY run support at all..

Thank god he made it in..2.00 era
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby byfrcp » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:06 pm

arod77 wrote:
byfrcp wrote:
sdfan wrote:Honestly I was more bothered that Larussa didnt pick Young in the 1st place. Arguably the 4th best pitcher the 1st half of the season in all of baseball has to resort to a fan vote to get in. Ridiculous :-t

LaRussa has very little say in the matter. Years ago maybe, but now players are voted in mostly by other players.

Larussa had 3 spots on the pitching staff that he could fill. He filled them with RP's. Apparantly, he though Brian Fuentas (4.06 ERA) and Jose Valverde (2.70 ERA) were more deserving. I can understand if those teams weren't represented but both of them were. Larussa is a JOKE!!!

Like I said not his decision...

Each team consists of 32 players. These players are currently selected though the following process:

* Fan voting: Baseball fans vote on the starting position players for the All-Star Game, with ballots distributed at Major League Baseball games before mid-season and, more recently, on the Internet. When the game is played at an American League park, the designated hitter for the AL team is also selected in this manner. This method has been recently criticized because most of the starting players from the American League are from teams that have large fan bases, such as the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox.
* Player voting: Pitchers and one back-up player for each position are elected by the players. If the top vote-getter at a position has also been selected via fan voting, the second-place finisher in this category is selected.
* Manager selection: The managers of the 30 MLB teams and the Commissioner's Office will fill the roster up to 31 players.
* Final vote: After the lists of 31 players for each league is announced, fans will vote for one additional player, chosen from a list of 5 players provided by the manager and the Commissioner's Office.
* Replacements: After the roster is selected, the manager and the Commissioner's Office will replace players who are injured or who decline to participate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Leag ... -Star_Game
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby arod77 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:23 am

Like I said not his decision...

Each team consists of 32 players. These players are currently selected though the following process:

* Fan voting: Baseball fans vote on the starting position players for the All-Star Game, with ballots distributed at Major League Baseball games before mid-season and, more recently, on the Internet. When the game is played at an American League park, the designated hitter for the AL team is also selected in this manner. This method has been recently criticized because most of the starting players from the American League are from teams that have large fan bases, such as the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox.
* Player voting: Pitchers and one back-up player for each position are elected by the players. If the top vote-getter at a position has also been selected via fan voting, the second-place finisher in this category is selected.
* Manager selection: The managers of the 30 MLB teams and the Commissioner's Office will fill the roster up to 31 players.
* Final vote: After the lists of 31 players for each league is announced, fans will vote for one additional player, chosen from a list of 5 players provided by the manager and the Commissioner's Office.
* Replacements: After the roster is selected, the manager and the Commissioner's Office will replace players who are injured or who decline to participate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Leag ... -Star_Game[/quote]

He did have a decision.
32 Man Roster

Fans pick the 8 starting positions
Players pick 8 reserves, 5 starters and 3 relievers. From there, Larussa gets 6 picks. From those 6 picks, he has to make sure every team is represented. He picked 3 pitchers and 3 reserves. All 3 of his picks were relievers and he picked Fuentes over Chris Young. Colorado already has Holliday going so he didn't need to pick anyone from the rockies.
arod77
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby thedude » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:55 am

mweir145 wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Roy Halladay didn't want to go so I didn't vote for him. My votes would have made up that difference, there is no doubt. :-D

I think Chris Young was definitely deserving of going, so good for him. Okajima...I'm not sure. Neshek arguably had better numbers, and Bonderman/Escobar are having great seasons. But Okajima did have 2 "nations" supporting him to get there, so it wasn't surprising to see the result there.

Neshek had better numbers? I know he had 12 more K's but what else?

I believe I said arguably. But last I checked, I think it was Neshek who had a better WHIP.

Also an ERA nearly 50% higher...
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:00 am

Leyland only had 2 picks that werent mandated by team representation - Santana and VMart.

As for CYoung and Okajima, congrats. CYoung was the obvious choice in the NL, and Okajima has had as good a yr as anyone.

You know what I would like to see though? I know its a pipe dream, but I would love it if fans couldnt vote for their team's representative for the online ballot. The fact that Okajima was voted in by one of the largest fan bases doesnt sit real well. Had he been voted in by non Red Sox fans would have legitimized his AS selection much more IMO.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby LukeW9027 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:57 am

davidmarver wrote:
IrishSox14 wrote:Here in Chicago on the Mike and Mike show on AM 670 the score...they predicted and expected Big Z to get in...Once again they seem to be wrong :-?

I'm not sure how someone could vote for Zambrano over Chris Young and look in the mirror while still considering himself a baseball fan. Thank God he didn't get Hafnered.

I completely agree that Chris Young deserved to be in there, but should Zambrano have been voted in, It would have been fine by me. Zambrano has been one of if not THE best pitcher in baseball over the last 30 days, and in a game where you are playing for home field advantage in the world series, you want a guy who will go out there and pitch the best at this time. Chris young would be very close to Zambrano, But right now the only 2 guys I would rather have on the hill for a game are Santana and Peavy.
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:13 am

thedude wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:
Neshek had better numbers? I know he had 12 more K's but what else?

I believe I said arguably. But last I checked, I think it was Neshek who had a better WHIP.

Also an ERA nearly 50% higher...

Arguably....

I said a case could be made for Neshek over Okajima, that's all.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby TopHatCat » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:20 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:You know what I would like to see though? I know its a pipe dream, but I would love it if fans couldnt vote for their team's representative for the online ballot. The fact that Okajima was voted in by one of the largest fan bases doesnt sit real well. Had he been voted in by non Red Sox fans would have legitimized his AS selection much more IMO.

Isn't the point of the all-star game to please the fans? Seems sort of backwards to force fans to vote for someone they don't root for.
TopHatCat
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers