GM Ricciardi goes on tirade about starter AJ Burnett - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

GM Ricciardi goes on tirade about starter AJ Burnett

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: GM Ricciardi goes on tirade about starter AJ Burnett

Postby bdrotoronto » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:32 pm

mweir145 wrote:But you're right, as I said, this is something JP shouldn't have said to the media at all, and something he should have discussed in-house. Again though...maybe he has a plan we're not seeing here.

Much like his "five-year plan" that he announced six years ago.. X-I

The funny thing about the Jays this year is that the only things that have gone genuinely well for them (e.g. Marcum, McGowan, Accardo, Stairs) have all been things that were completely unplanned by JP. All those guys were expected to play bit roles. Major off-season decisions that JP planned for (e.g. Ohka/Thomson/Zambrano, Thomas) have been either colossal disasters or disappointments.
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:00 am

bdrotoronto wrote:
mweir145 wrote:But you're right, as I said, this is something JP shouldn't have said to the media at all, and something he should have discussed in-house. Again though...maybe he has a plan we're not seeing here.

Much like his "five-year plan" that he announced six years ago.. X-I

Haha. :-b
No, I mean like trying to get AJ to opt out after '08.

The funny thing about the Jays this year is that the only things that have gone genuinely well for them (e.g. Marcum, McGowan, Accardo, Stairs) have all been things that were completely unplanned by JP. All those guys were expected to play bit roles. Major off-season decisions that JP planned for (e.g. Ohka/Thomson/Zambrano, Thomas) have been either colossal disasters or disappointments.

If you're going to criticize him for signing guys like Ohka, Thomson, and Zambrano, then you have to say he did a great job in signing Stairs. Thomas hasn't been that big a disappointment. As of right now, he's one of the team leaders in OPS, and that number is climbing. He's been a far better hitter than our previous DH, Shea Hillenbrand. %-6

Other than that, yeah, he's had quite a bit of luck that some of those pitchers have turned out the way they have, but he did draft or trade for them (with the exception of McGowan).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby mbuser » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:17 am

it's just not a coincidence that, in his three appearances before all the issues started, he totaled 125, 117, and 130 pitches. there's being a reliable #2 guy and being a guy with a history of arm problems who shouldn't average 125 pitches per over three starts. burnett appears to be somewhere in the middle
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Seanyfever » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:38 am

As a Canadian, I used to root for the Jays... Since my Expos left the country, I didn't have a choice really... However, with the present management, I selected to not root instead of rooting for the only alternative. I really wish we could hit fast forward and rid ourselves of both GM and coach.
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 289)

Postby RC » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:19 am

MWier's generally on the money with a lot of the Blue Jays situation, but as another homer that follows the team pretty closely, I have to completely disagree.

Riccardi is an egomaniac. This is as close as he's come to admitting he's made a mistake and he managed to blame it on AJ.

They over worked AJ and had him brainwashed into coming back too soon and pitching with pain. AJ has a nerve impingement, which is an overuse injury which would get much worse without a DL stint. So he's not faking it.

The BJ Ryan situation was by no means blown out of proportion. He lied. Nevermind respecting BJ and his agent. BJ's signed for 4 more years, so it's not like a Tommy John would hurt his next contract value. He'll be long but recovered by then. The only reason he lied was to save face. If it served him better to tell the truth, he would have.

There's a good amount of J.P. Kool-Aid in Toronto because Rogers owns the Jays, the major sports talk radio station and one of the major all sports networks. So there's a lot of spin out there, but bottom line is he couldn't make the 5 year plan work.

What's completely infuriating is that this team is sooooo close to being a WS contender (go figure with the payroll) but due to some unprecedented bad luck (at least Toronto sports-wise) he's starting to take shots at his players.

J.P. should be reigned in, plain and simple. If only Godfrey had the balls.
Like my Avatar?
RC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:10 am

RC wrote:MWier's generally on the money with a lot of the Blue Jays situation, but as another homer that follows the team pretty closely, I have to completely disagree.

Riccardi is an egomaniac. This is as close as he's come to admitting he's made a mistake and he managed to blame it on AJ.

They over worked AJ and had him brainwashed into coming back too soon and pitching with pain. AJ has a nerve impingement, which is an overuse injury which would get much worse without a DL stint. So he's not faking it.

The BJ Ryan situation was by no means blown out of proportion. He lied. Nevermind respecting BJ and his agent. BJ's signed for 4 more years, so it's not like a Tommy John would hurt his next contract value. He'll be long but recovered by then. The only reason he lied was to save face. If it served him better to tell the truth, he would have.

There's a good amount of J.P. Kool-Aid in Toronto because Rogers owns the Jays, the major sports talk radio station and one of the major all sports networks. So there's a lot of spin out there, but bottom line is he couldn't make the 5 year plan work.

What's completely infuriating is that this team is sooooo close to being a WS contender (go figure with the payroll) but due to some unprecedented bad luck (at least Toronto sports-wise) he's starting to take shots at his players.

J.P. should be reigned in, plain and simple. If only Godfrey had the balls.

Oh, I don't doubt that JP is an egomaniac, or that he's trying to misplace the blame for signing AJ Burnett. It's pretty clear that he's trying to turn both the media/fans agaisnt Burnett, and he's attempted to do it before through a few Jeff Blair columns. However, I do feel that he gets blamed for a lot of things when he really isn't doing that bad of a job. Witholding information (and yes, even lying) about injuries is a fairly common practice in pro sports, and it was very unlucky for him that BJ's particular injury unexpectedly blew up the way it did agaisnt him. I also thought he built a very good team this year, and it was unfortunate that they had to deal with this massive bout with injuries.

As for this particular Burnett situation, I don't think JP would be saying things like this if he didn't have access to information or doctors telling him that AJ, for all intents and purposes, is basically fine. That's where the frustration comes from. Of course, that doesn't make it right for him to go public with stuff like this. JP has always had a problem keeping his mouth shut about stuff like this.

If I were Godfrey, I'd give him another year to see if this team he's built this year will work, and if it doesn't, I would get rid of him. Of course that's not about to happen though. Ricciardi is here through 2010, and he has the full confidence of the higher-ups still.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:14 am

Ricciardi is a joke.

It's AJ-Freaking-Burnett. You didn't sign Cal Ripken here then have him decide to take a bunch of vacation days. Out of the Beckett/Burnett pair, you signed the LESS reliable guy. Maybe if you didn't dump all of your money into a closer, an injury-prone starter, and an outfielder with a career season, you could have bought some real help for your team.

This reminds me of the guy in our league who always drafted Prior, then would complain all season long about his health. Um.... :-?
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:15 am

If anybody should be going on a rant it's Jays fans ranting about JP.

Since he's come here, as part of his 5 yr plan he has let get away Shannon Stewart, Felipe Lopez, David Bush, Orlando Hudson, Chris Carpenter and Brandon Lyon. He has traded for Hinske and Overbay but I can't think of a single trade that he has won except for maybe the Speier and Hillenbrand trades but then he managed to waste them as well. In 2005 when our payroll was $5M he was given an extra $210M to spend over the next 3 yrs and he has bungled it. The worst thing that he has done IMO is neglecting our minors. He has traded away prospects and generally ignored our minors. We had one of the best systems and now baseball america ranks our prospects as 25th in the majors. :-t
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby tgalv » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:27 pm

the problem is burnett running up the pitch count to 100 in 4 or 5 innings, making him not that useful if the organization isn't willing to go over.
tgalv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:13 pm

Did you know that on the Jays 40 man roster there are 36 Americans and only 4 non-Americans (3 Venezualans)? Remember back when we were winning we had a strong Latin contingent?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers