GM Ricciardi goes on tirade about starter AJ Burnett - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

GM Ricciardi goes on tirade about starter AJ Burnett

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: GM Ricciardi goes on tirade about starter AJ Burnett

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:19 pm

SmartassBoiler wrote:
Yoda wrote:This is the same Ricciardi that lied about BJ Ryan's elbow injury for months correct?


Yeah. Maybe Riccardi should sit down with his manager and ask him why:

A) He ran Burnett into the ground with high pitch counts
B) Why did he and the manager rush him back from an arm injury when the season wasn't going anywhere.

Perhaps then he can run his mouth. He's far more to blame than Burnett for this situation. The way the current Blue Jays staff manages their pitchers is a joke.

Just to correct a few things. Nobody rushed AJ Burnett back from an arm injury. Burnett wanted to come back immediately because they all realized there was nothing seriously wrong with him. And the whole pitch counts thing? Well if he can't go a few starts over 110+ pitches (and it's not like AJ didn't want to pitch in those situations) without feeling "fatigue" in his shoulder, he's not exactly a reliable #2 guy.

IMO, the Jays seem to do a fine job of managing most of their pitchers...Burnett is the aberration.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: GM Ricciardi goes on tirade about starter AJ Burnett

Postby nsulham » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:37 pm

Is this greasing the skids for a possible trade? Got to think they can spin him into a pretty good prospect or two even if he is partially damaged goods considering I haven't heard anything about starting pitching being on the market other than Buerhle.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4883
Joined: 26 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Charlottesville

Re: GM Ricciardi goes on tirade about starter AJ Burnett

Postby Yoda » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:09 pm

nsulham wrote:Is this greasing the skids for a possible trade? Got to think they can spin him into a pretty good prospect or two even if he is partially damaged goods considering I haven't heard anything about starting pitching being on the market other than Buerhle.


Good point. But saying negative things won't help him in negotiations would it?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: GM Ricciardi goes on tirade about starter AJ Burnett

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:38 pm

Yoda wrote:
nsulham wrote:Is this greasing the skids for a possible trade? Got to think they can spin him into a pretty good prospect or two even if he is partially damaged goods considering I haven't heard anything about starting pitching being on the market other than Buerhle.


Good point. But saying negative things won't help him in negotiations would it?

Nope, or atleast you wouldn't think it would.

I think he may just be doing this to try to get AJ to opt out after '08...or another likely scenario, he opened his mouth without thinking.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: GM Ricciardi goes on tirade about starter AJ Burnett

Postby Danger » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:45 pm

That's really unfair on Ricciardi's part. I'm sure he's more frustrated at the Jays not living up to the hype preseason. AJ really stepped up when Halladay went down and put together a string of outstanding performances before his injury. If there's anyone to blame, blame Gibbons for running AJ's pitch count up every game. Or blame yourself JP for signing Wells to that huge contract and Thomas, both doing virtually nothing this season. I can understand the frustration about the team but AJ shouldn't be the scape goat.
Danger
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2769
Joined: 21 May 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: McCovey Cove, on my raft with my laptop

Re: GM Ricciardi goes on tirade about starter AJ Burnett

Postby RedSoxdominate » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:23 pm

There are a lot of us who expected these results when they signed Burnett to such a lucrative deal. There were all kinds of red flags about Burnett's elbow with the Marlins, but Ricciardi couldn't resist his obvious talent, ignored the injury-riddled past and went ahead and committed big money to what is now a "third or fourth starter" in his own words.

Solid work, J.P. Not only do you authorize this all-too-risky deal. You then go ahead and rip the guy for agreeing to such a contract when he gets hurt, as if you should've expected anything different. I respect the hell out of Ricciardi for the most part, but this is really unprofessional and foolish of him. What's that saying about "you made your bed, now go lie in it"?
RedSoxdominate
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 86
Joined: 11 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: McLean, VA

Re: GM Ricciardi goes on tirade about starter AJ Burnett

Postby bdrotoronto » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:14 pm

sportsguy138 wrote:Drama really can't stop with this team, can it?

It really is incredible, isn't it?

The last couple of years, the only things you can rely on from this team are about a .500 record, and a bizarre string of ridiculous stories (Hillenbrand, Lilly, Ryan, Burnett, etc.) that I just don't hear coming out of any other city. Ricciardi called out Wells in the media around this time last year too, although somehow he got him to re-sign after the season anyway.

My opinion for a while now has been that Ricciardi and Gibbons are the problem with this team, moreso than any of the players. And Godfrey really contributes to the situation by persistently spinning that their perpetual mediocrity is somehow successful or excused. :-t
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1708
Joined: 10 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: GM Ricciardi goes on tirade about starter AJ Burnett

Postby Noggy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:44 pm

mweir145 wrote:Just to correct a few things. Nobody rushed AJ Burnett back from an arm injury. Burnett wanted to come back immediately because they all realized there was nothing seriously wrong with him. And the whole pitch counts thing? Well if he can't go a few starts over 110+ pitches (and it's not like AJ didn't want to pitch in those situations) without feeling "fatigue" in his shoulder, he's not exactly a reliable #2 guy.

IMO, the Jays seem to do a fine job of managing most of their pitchers...Burnett is the aberration.



It's the team's responsibility to hold him back. Burnett wasn't the model of health before the signed him. If Ricciardi didn't know he was a health risk and the team didn't have to be careful with him, that's his fault. He offered the contract. He should have known what he was getting.

Just because AJ wanted to come back as soon as possible or stay in games despite a high pitch count, it doesn't mean it's ok to let him. Things like that aren't AJ's decisions. The team should be protecting their investment.

And please define "managing most of their pitchers".... as long as the manager and pitcher don't throw punches at each other it's ok?
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 527
Joined: 28 Jan 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: GM Ricciardi goes on tirade about starter AJ Burnett

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:46 pm

Not smart...any trade value that Burnett had just went through the floor.
Image

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3542
(Past Year: 31)
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: GM Ricciardi goes on tirade about starter AJ Burnett

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:04 pm

Noggy wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Just to correct a few things. Nobody rushed AJ Burnett back from an arm injury. Burnett wanted to come back immediately because they all realized there was nothing seriously wrong with him. And the whole pitch counts thing? Well if he can't go a few starts over 110+ pitches (and it's not like AJ didn't want to pitch in those situations) without feeling "fatigue" in his shoulder, he's not exactly a reliable #2 guy.

IMO, the Jays seem to do a fine job of managing most of their pitchers...Burnett is the aberration.



It's the team's responsibility to hold him back. Burnett wasn't the model of health before the signed him. If Ricciardi didn't know he was a health risk and the team didn't have to be careful with him, that's his fault. He offered the contract. He should have known what he was getting.

Just because AJ wanted to come back as soon as possible or stay in games despite a high pitch count, it doesn't mean it's ok to let him. Things like that aren't AJ's decisions. The team should be protecting their investment.

I think JP is frustrated by the fact that this is the third time he's went on the DL for this team in 2 years when there was nothing actually wrong with him. Burnett is unreliable in this way. But you're right, as I said, this is something JP shouldn't have said to the media at all, and something he should have discussed in-house. Again though...maybe he has a plan we're not seeing here.

I personally think pitch counts are overrated, and my belief wasn't changed by the fact that AJ seemingly got "fatigued" as a result of them in a few games.
And please define "managing most of their pitchers".... as long as the manager and pitcher don't throw punches at each other it's ok?

Well I was referring to this year's team. Marcum and McGowan have both emerged as very good starters in this league, and Downs, Janssen, and Accardo have excelled in roles they weren't projected to be in heading into this season.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact