GM Ricciardi goes on tirade about starter AJ Burnett - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

GM Ricciardi goes on tirade about starter AJ Burnett

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

GM Ricciardi goes on tirade about starter AJ Burnett

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:46 pm

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/articl ... 21221_5188
Blue Jays' general manager J.P. Ricciardi had harsh words for often-injured starter A.J. Burnett on a Toronto radio station, saying that Burnett may now be considered a third or fourth starter, and if he had to do it all over again, he probably would not have signed Burnett to a five-year $55 million deal in December, 2005.

Yikes...JP just can't keep his mouth shut sometimes can he? Will the soap opera on this team ever end?

I did pretty much know this was what JP felt (it's even probably the way I feel about AJ)...but saying it like that on a local radio show, well that just puts us on a whole different level, and it's not something he should have done.

Burnett is still definitely the 2nd best pitcher the Jays have, no matter how good Marcum's ERA is, or how McGowan is going right now. So saying this...well that's pretty disrespectful of Burnett, especially while he's on the DL. I mean come on JP...you knew (or should have known) what you were getting into by signing a pitcher with a history of injuries and attitude problems.

It almost seems like JP is basically daring him to opt out of his contract at the end of '08. Maybe that's what he intended by going on this tirade, but either way, it's not good for the team. I've gotten the impression that for the most part, AJ's teammates like him.

Hopefully this will make AJ come out with some kind of fire, and finish off the season well, in the event that he's not traded.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: GM Ricciardi goes on tirade about starter AJ Burnett

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:59 pm

Weird I thought Canada was the Land of Zero Injury where the magical injury free fairy blesses all its residents with magic healing dust to keep "Often Injured through their whole career in Florida" players from becoming "often injured throughout their entire career in Canada" players. I thought this was common knowledge and so must have JP or else he wouldn't have signed an injury risk player like Burnett.

Bizzare :-S
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Field » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:06 pm

He knew what he was getting before he signed him. And, if he didn't think injuries were going to hit then, like acs said, he's living in a land of magic, fairies, and purple grass.

I don't follow the Jays all that closely, but this seems most likely:

It almost seems like JP is basically daring him to opt out of his contract at the end of '08. Maybe that's what he intended by going on this tirade, but either way, it's not good for the team. I've gotten the impression that for the most part, AJ's teammates like him.

Would another team give AJ 3 years 33 mil if he opts out?

I could possibly see it.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby sportsguy138 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:08 pm

Drama really can't stop with this team, can it? I don't know Burnett's history, but he seems like a guy (like on the mound) gets agree easily. I wouldn't be surprised if he would want out of Toronto and if he does ask public ally for that, then his value would go down. :-t
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 406)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:34 pm

Field wrote:Would another team give AJ 3 years 33 mil if he opts out?

I could possibly see it.

I could easily see it as well, with pitchers' contracts the way they are right now.

That might be what all of this is...just an attempt by JP to get AJ to opt out after '08. Because I really don't see how you can trade a guy when his value is at an all time low right now.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby jake_harv88 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:38 pm

mweir145 wrote:
Field wrote:Would another team give AJ 3 years 33 mil if he opts out?

I could possibly see it.

I could easily see it as well, with pitchers' contracts the way they are right now.

That might be what all of this is...just an attempt by JP to get AJ to opt out after '08. Because I really don't see how you can trade a guy when his value is at an all time low right now.

yeah any kind of "decent" starter makes about 8-10 million these days. Its a little ridiculous but those are the facts. There is definately a team out there willing to risk 11 million a year on the upside of AJ burnett
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Yoda » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:45 pm

This is the same Ricciardi that lied about BJ Ryan's elbow injury for months correct?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby EWSPECIALTY » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:08 pm

I wouldn't mind if the Astros were to sign him. Houston will take him in a second. And since we have the roger clemens savings fund to spend now and we are desperate for pitching it could happen by a very slim chance. We would be lucky just to get anyone close to his ability. I mean really our number three starter is Woody Williams.
EWSPECIALTY Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SmartassBoiler » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:08 pm

Yoda wrote:This is the same Ricciardi that lied about BJ Ryan's elbow injury for months correct?

Yeah. Maybe Riccardi should sit down with his manager and figure out why:

A) They ran Burnett into the ground with high pitch counts
B) They rushed him back from an arm injury when the season wasn't going anywhere.

Perhaps then he can run his mouth. He's far more to blame than Burnett for this situation. The way the current Blue Jays staff manages their pitchers is a joke.
Last edited by SmartassBoiler on Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SmartassBoiler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:09 pm

Yoda wrote:This is the same Ricciardi that lied about BJ Ryan's elbow injury for months correct?

Yes...but it was for a few weeks. That whole situation was blown out of proportion IMO, from a guy who follows this team. I definitely don't hold it agaisnt him. They figured it wasn't serious at first, and they called it a back injury in ST out of respect for BJ and his agent.

I personally don't see how witholding or lying about injuries (which is fairly common in all pro sports) is as bad as calling out players on radio shows. This is just something, no matter how true it may be, you just can't do if you're a GM of a major league team.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers