Top Prospect Predictions for 08 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Top Prospect Predictions for 08

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Top Prospect Predictions for 08

Postby bigken117 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:33 pm

thedude wrote:1. Justin Upton

By a large margin

yup

thedude wrote:2.Clay Buccholz -top pitching prospect status will be sealed by his playoff stint as a shutdown setup man

I would call that a bit hopeful, but hey, I won't complain...

The rest of the list looks solid as well.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CrashDavisAllStars » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:12 am

Do most of you seem to think that Andrew Miller is a better long term prospect than Phil Hughes?? I would have thought it to be the other way around, even if only slightly....The reason I ask is b/c I currently have Hughes on my roster, but can trade him at any time for Miller if I wanted to...Who would you rather have (long term, not this season)
CrashDavisAllStars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jwhands » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:29 am

Justin Upton
Clay Buchholz
Jay Bruce
Evan Longoria
Colby Rasmus
Cameron Maybin
Andrew McCutchen
Jake McGee
Wade Davis
Jose Tabata
Reid Brignac
Joba Chamberlain
Travis Snider
Max Scherzer
Chris Volstad
Clayton Kershaw
Adrian Cardenas
Jeremy Jeffress
Gorkys Hernandez
Cedric Hunter
Kasey Kiker
Jody, Jody Davis. Hits 'em high and far. Jody, Jody Davis. He's a superstar. Holy Cow!!!! http://www.stinkytee.com
jwhands
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fantasy Man 27 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:29 am

I think you are overrating Buchholtz a tad. I don't think he's a top 5 prospect quite yet. Top 10 for sure.
Fantasy Man 27
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby J35J » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:12 am

CrashDavisAllStars wrote:Do most of you seem to think that Andrew Miller is a better long term prospect than Phil Hughes?? I would have thought it to be the other way around, even if only slightly....The reason I ask is b/c I currently have Hughes on my roster, but can trade him at any time for Miller if I wanted to...Who would you rather have (long term, not this season)

Keep Hughes

Fantasy Man 27 wrote:I think you are overrating Buchholtz a tad. I don't think he's a top 5 prospect quite yet. Top 10 for sure.

I'd take Buchholtz top 5...maybe not #2 but top 5! Of course thats just my opinion. :-)
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby Seattle_Will » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:00 am

Here is a look at my top-5. I'll add more later when I have more time.

1. Jay Bruce, OF
All he has done is hit and hit since last season. Excluding his 24 ABs at AAA, he has an OPS well above .950, and he is very young for his level. Has some trouble though Striking out, with a 32/87 BB/K rate.

2. Justin Upton, OF
He is making up for last years numbers with great numbers this year that are comparable to Bruce. He hasn't been as consistent though, he went a month without a HR. It is very close though, Upton has done better with his BB/K ratio.

3. Evan Longoria, 3B
36% XBH% to date isn't as impressive as Bruce's 50%, and doesn't have as much upside as Upton. What he does have is superior plate discipline, making him more likely to reach his potential.

4. Clayton Kershaw, LHP
111 Ks in 81.1 IP with only 42 BB and 2 HRA. More importantly, he has a 1.23 GO/AO ratio, and a .194 BAA, after a bad last outing. Age and GO/AO ratio make him my no. 1 pitching prospect.

5. Adam Jones, OF
Hitting 45% XBH in AAA. 23 HR, and an OPS of .967. He may be in the PCL, but Tacoma's stadium is actually favorable to pitchers. Of the top hitters, Jones has the worst plate discipline, striking out 94 times and walking only 29.

Park Factors: http://firstinning.com/pf/?type=basic&l ... eason=2007
Seattle_Will
College Coach
College Coach

Postby J35J » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:49 pm

Seattle_Will wrote:5. Adam Jones, OF

:-o

As far as Kershaw goes, I would take Buchholtz slightly before Kershaw for a couple reasons....1) he is closer to the bigs, 2) he has better control at the moment.....and 3) he has a legit change up
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby thedude » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:51 am

J35J wrote:
Seattle_Will wrote:5. Adam Jones, OF

:-o

As far as Kershaw goes, I would take Buchholtz slightly before Kershaw for a couple reasons....1) he is closer to the bigs, 2) he has better control at the moment.....and 3) he has a legit change up

I agree. Kershaw has a higher upside, but he a very young pitcher and therfore has a great deal of risk (not that Buchholz doesn't also have a large risk factor).
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Members Only Jackets » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:22 am

Joba Chamberlain is creeping up the top SP list....maybe he'll pass bucholz by sept if he keeps dominating AAA.
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thedude » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:13 pm

Members Only Jackets wrote:Joba Chamberlain is creeping up the top SP list....maybe he'll pass bucholz by sept if he keeps dominating AAA.

Buchholz will likely be either in the Boston rotation or bullpen by September.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball