HR Derby - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

HR Derby

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

HR Derby

Postby vladrules » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:04 am

Thank gosh Pujols probably won't participate int he Derby if he's asked.

Has the list been announced or finalized?

I'm hoping none of my players (Holliday, CaLee, Hafner, Rollins) enter the HR Derby. If they are, I'm going to trade them.
vladrules
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: HR Derby

Postby Ender » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:11 am

vladrules wrote:Thank gosh Pujols probably won't participate int he Derby if he's asked.

Has the list been announced or finalized?

I'm hoping none of my players (Holliday, CaLee, Hafner, Rollins) enter the HR Derby. If they are, I'm going to trade them.

Yeah I'm sure all those Howard owners last year were really upset he was in the derby. The entire myth about the homerun derby messing up a players swing is silly. Just because a couple mediocre HR hitters like Tejada/Abreu slumped after it doesn't mean it messes things up. Baseball is a streaky game, thats just how things are.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:39 am

If BP doesn't mess with a hitter's swing, then the Derby shouldn't either.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby IrishSox14 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:41 am

It could be a mental thing. They just want to swing for fences which could actually help them, but i dont think it should make that big of an impact.
IrishSox14
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AdvRider » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:54 am

I hope Barry sits it out. I'd love to watch him perform, but it's not worth the risk of straining an oblique or something on a 42-year-old torso and derailing his pursuit of the 756 HR crown.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 19)

Postby rjforlife » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:18 am

It didn't affect Howard because his swing is used for hitting homeruns every swing anyways. Just like if Prince were to enter, it wouldnt affect him at all since he takes a massive cut every time. The guys it affected, Tejada/Abreu/D. Wright, are guys that are line drive hitters, putting the ball into play and into gaps. The derby forced their swings to alter, and they have all had trouble reversing the effects. There has been quite a debate on this not only on this site but in baseball circles everywhere, and I'm pretty sure most people are not ready to dismiss the HR Derby problems so readily. Im not saying trade your players away if they are in the Derby, thats just ridiculous, but be cautious with your players that enter and don't trade for a good line drive hitter out of the derby.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1284)

Postby Athrun340 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:26 am

andruw jones should join the derby .. he's always trying to hit a hr every AB .. im sure it wont affect him at all :-)
^^Ty Smoovethug^^
Athrun340
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tianyi86 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:29 am

Athrun340 wrote:andruw jones should join the derby .. he's always trying to hit a hr every AB .. im sure it wont affect him at all :-)

I just hope Andruw Jones doesn't strikeout in the derby.
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:48 pm

AdvRider wrote:I hope Barry sits it out. I'd love to watch him perform, but it's not worth the risk of straining an oblique or something on a 42-year-old torso and derailing his pursuit of the 756 HR crown.

I think Barry has already said he won't participate. He said something along the lines of "I have nothing left to prove"
Barry showing his bad side once again. Mysteriously comes up with enough last minute votes to start at home, and then rewards his home town fans by snubbing them in what would have been the best homerun derby ever. I hate Bonds for letting his pissy personality keep him from being the greatest player that ever lived.

I think what mlb should try and do is have the fans elect players for the homerun derby. If you refuse to play in the derby, then you don't get to play in the all-star game. Just think of how fun it would be to see a homerun derby with Bonds, Pujols, Fielder, etc.

Mod Edited for language.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Tavish » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:14 pm

moochman wrote:
AdvRider wrote:I hope Barry sits it out. I'd love to watch him perform, but it's not worth the risk of straining an oblique or something on a 42-year-old torso and derailing his pursuit of the 756 HR crown.

I think Barry has already said he won't participate. He said something along the lines of "I have nothing left to prove"

Actually he said something along the lines of "I'm too old and I'm not sure my body can take it."

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers