Strategy as Bonds Approaches Record - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy as Bonds Approaches Record

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategy as Bonds Approaches Record

Postby MTUCache » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:19 pm

So, as I'm sure it's occured to most of us by now, Bond's approaching of the record is going to have some pretty funky effects on his games over the next month (or two), which in turn are probably going to have some quirky effect on fantasy numbers throughout the game.

I'm going to assume that Bonds is owned in pretty much every league out there... those leagues which include OPS, SLG, Walks, etc are obvious, and even in shallow basic leagues he warrants ownerwhip. But what about other effects on the game? Those that non-Bonds owners could pick up on and use.

The incredible number of walks he's going to recieve over the next few weeks aren't simply going to effect Bond's numbers, are they? Of course not... they're going to strongly influence the numbers of those players batting behind him. Namely Ryan Klesko. Giant's fans correct me if I'm wrong, but for the past few weeks Klesko has either been batting directly behind Bonds, or one behind that hitter, putting him in pretty prime territory for knocking around some runs now that there's almost always going to be runners on base for him. Add into that a very strong average at home, and you may be looking at a player worthy of a short-term pickup, especially in leagues with some extra bench spots, or if your team needs a short-term replacement at 1B because of a slumping star.

In any case, I'd like to see a conversation in this topic about what kind of fantasy strategy we could use to our advantage as Bond's approaches the record. It's obvious that these last four/five HR are going to take a while, as managers and pitchers will shy away from having the dubious honor of giving up the record tying/breaking shot.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Strategy as Bonds Approaches Record

Postby Danger » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:13 pm

I think that strategy has always been true throughout the whole season. Bonds gets on base a whole lot anyways and I don't think the fact that he's approaching the record will make that huge of a difference. Klesko may be a viable short term option but with the return of Aurillia, Klesko may see more days off. It's really hard to predict the starting lineup for the Giants on any given day because Bochy likes to play around with the lineup because of his aging veterans.
Danger
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Strategy as Bonds Approaches Record

Postby arod77 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:58 pm

Also, remember that he wants to break this record at home. That probably means he will take more days off on the road as he approaches the record.
arod77
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers