Edwar Ramirez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Edwar Ramirez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Edwar Ramirez

Postby ActionHero » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:41 am

Very impressive debut last night -- 3 batters faced, 3 K's. His minor league stats are unbelievable.

2006 4W, 1L, 1.17ERA, 30.2IP - 6BB, 47Ks
2007 3W, 0L, 0.62ERA, 43.1IP - 17BB, 80Ks

Why haven't I heard about this guy before? Is it because he's 26 years old? Perhaps he's a late bloomer?
ActionHero
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Edwar Ramirez

Postby sandman042 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:23 am

im a yankee fan and watching him pitch was great yesterday.

How he got to majors
he is 26 yr old. He pitched in the minor league for most of his career. He was primarly w/ the angels who released him twice. he thenn was about to retire from baseball after the release when his dad said dont quit. he developed a changeup and went to independent leagues where the yankees signed him and he flew up the minor leagues to the majors.

scouting report
he is very skinny weighin in at 150lbs and he is 6-3. from what i saw yesterday he uses primarly fastball which goes 90-93mph and changeup 78-80mph. he is changeup is his out pitch and its is nasty. he looked almost unhittable yesterday w/ his change.

his minor league numbers are very scary almsot 2k's an inning!
sandman042
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:45 am

His minor league numbers in AAA (from memory of last night so they'll be close but not exact)

15 Games
26.7 IP
0.67 ERA
13 H
9 BB
47 K's

He'll most likely turn out to be nothing, but he was sure impressive last night. The wasn't throwing junk; the guy throws strikes (9:5 strike to ball ratio) I didn't see his fastball over 90 so I don't know where 93 comes from. The change is an incredible pitch though. He'll be an interesting guy to watch this year if he sticks around.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby sandman042 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:57 am

[quote="blankman"]His minor league numbers in AAA (from memory of last night so they'll be close but not exact)

15 Games
26.7 IP
0.67 ERA
13 H
9 BB
47 K's

He'll most likely turn out to be nothing, but he was sure impressive last night. The wasn't throwing junk; the guy throws strikes (9:5 strike to ball ratio) I didn't see his fastball over 90 so I don't know where 93 comes from. The change is an incredible pitch though. He'll be an interesting guy to watch this year if he sticks around.[/quote]

i saw him throwing 90-92 yesterday. and what i heard from other forums he throws max at 93.
sandman042
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:12 pm

sandman042 wrote:
blankman wrote:His minor league numbers in AAA (from memory of last night so they'll be close but not exact)

15 Games
26.7 IP
0.67 ERA
13 H
9 BB
47 K's

He'll most likely turn out to be nothing, but he was sure impressive last night. The wasn't throwing junk; the guy throws strikes (9:5 strike to ball ratio) I didn't see his fastball over 90 so I don't know where 93 comes from. The change is an incredible pitch though. He'll be an interesting guy to watch this year if he sticks around.

i saw him throwing 90-92 yesterday. and what i heard from other forums he throws max at 93.

I'll watch the inning again. I hope you're right.

EDIT: So I stand somewhat corrected. He topped out of 91, hitting that about as often as he hit 90. No sub-90 mph fastballs.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby sandman042 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:30 pm

ok i was wrong too he didnt hit 92 i guess i was looking at the radar gun too fast. i went looking back to th forum where some guy gave the scouting report of edwar and said he max out at 93 but i cant seem to find it but i came across this which a guy posted. it says edwars fastball is 89-91 primarly

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=248&p=2&c=655564
sandman042
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:42 pm

sandman042 wrote:ok i was wrong too he didnt hit 92 i guess i was looking at the radar gun too fast. i went looking back to th forum where some guy gave the scouting report of edwar and said he max out at 93 but i cant seem to find it but i came across this which a guy posted. it says edwars fastball is 89-91 primarly

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=248&p=2&c=655564

Interesting. I don't think we've seen his slider yet, most likely because its not as good of a pitch yet.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:28 pm

would he be getting this much attention if he's not a Yankee? Probably not. Is he going to help in a 12 teams league? Probably not.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby valnas » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:46 am

Definetly an oddball player. At 26, he's not a prospect. With an offspeed pitch like his plus plus changeup, he'd prolly project as a starter. But at 150 lbs he prolly doesn't have close to the stamina to go deep in games. Do they use him in long relief and build him into a starter ? or just go against conventional logic and take him at face value as a dominant short innings guy. The number of closer/setup guys who dominate with a change up is pretty short (Guardado had one, and most notably Trevor Hoffman).
valnas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby OnceinDC2\1 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:16 am

Might end up being a valuable middle reliever for fantasy....You forgot to include Keith Foulke by the way as a reliever whose success came primarily from his changeup. The movement of the pitch and throwing it with the identical arm speed of a fastball is important but also the separation between the fastball and changeup makes a big difference. If he is throwing 91 and then throwing a 78mpg changeup, that is pretty significant separation between the two. Edwar may turn out to be pretty successful, guess we'll see.
OnceinDC2\1
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers