Ted Williams vs. Barry Bonds - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ted Williams vs. Barry Bonds

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ted Williams vs. Barry Bonds

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:42 am

A friend of mine and I got into the argument of who is a better all time hitter, Williams or Bonds UNDER THE ASSUMPTION THAT STEROIDS PLAYED NO ROLE. I argued Williams, he argued Bonds.

Purely stats wise, this is how it is broken down in the order of importance (IMO, although he agreed basically to it anyway). Extra > means it's a bigger margain (i.e. >>> signifies way ahead whereas > signified slightly ahead)

OPS: Williams > Bonds
OBP: Williams >> Bonds
SLG: Williams > Bonds
HR: Bonds >> Williams
RBI: Bonds >> Williams
SB: Bonds >>>>> Williams
R: Bonds > Williams

The one other thing that must be taken into consideration is that Williams took off some key years to fight in wars.

But the basic argument boils down to whether the fact that Williams' averages are better, which discounts war time, or if you want to argue that even if Williams didn't miss any time, he still would have way less HR. Also, Bonds leads in more catagories whereas Williams leads in the more important ones. Anyway, let me know what you think, I just figured it's an interesting argument, and I'd like to hear your say.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ted Williams vs. Barry Bonds

Postby arod77 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:41 am

My vote would go to Teddy Ballgame. He missed some prime years (3 full years at 34-26 years old; and most of 2 years at 34 and 35) because of war. If you go by who had the best career, then you have to say Bonds. However, if you average it out Ted Williams has to win out. .344 career average and then you throw in another 150-200 homers. He would have 700+ homers

Career wise, there is not really anyone that can match Bonds (except maybe Ruth or Cobb) However, Ted Williams (war time), Lou Gerig (early retirement), Mantle (injuries), Griffey (injuries), all have the what if factor. If they had a full healthy career all those guys would have crazy numbers. Bonds has played injury free until 43. Could you imagine what those other guys would have done had they played injury free their whole careers.

Career wise you have to say bonds. He's about to break the all time HR record, has the all time BB record, is 3rd all time in Runs scored (100 runs from Rickey) and 5th in RBI's, and is the only member of the 500-500 club. He also has won 7 MVP's and 8 gold gloves.
arod77
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:55 am

The Splendid Splinter pwns Bonds and all other MLBers in the landing burning airplane after getting hit by enemy fire category. His HOF speech is one of my favorite all-time sports moments as well. Williams was probably Bonds' equal in terms of incurring the wrath of the press and may have shot more F-bombs back at them, at least according to his bio (as I presume whatever else Bonds does, use of any such language would be reported upon). Bonds stats are pretty crushing but that does not diminish Williams amazing accomplishments nor the fact that Ted was an amazing character in the history of baseball.

If Bonds played the first game of a doubleheader and was batting .402, would be be back for the second game? I dunno about that. It will be interesting to see what Bonds does in his last AB...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:21 am

I think it has to be Barry, because of longevity. If you plug in replacement level years for the years Teddy took off, I think Bonds would probably have Teddy beat in OPS and SLG...
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Yoda » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:22 pm

Bonds
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby 4Pack » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:31 pm

Yoda wrote:Bonds

I see Bonds has another day off! Must be tough to get up early from those night games. Yeah nice team player he is. Gotta go with Teddy.
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:43 pm

4Pack wrote:

I see Bonds has another day off! Must be tough to get up early from those night games. Yeah nice team player he is.

Please tell me you are just joking. If not that, then you might want to dig a little deeper in to some facts.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby mak1277 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:59 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:I think it has to be Barry, because of longevity. If you plug in replacement level years for the years Teddy took off, I think Bonds would probably have Teddy beat in OPS and SLG...

Using replacement level stats would be a mistake though...you can't argue that Williams would've put up replacement level numbers during the middle of his career. His OPS+ the year before his time off was 217, and it was 215 the year he came back.

Ted's career OPS+ was 190, compared to that of 183 for Bonds.

I think Barry's first four years tilt the scale towards Williams. His OPS+ was never over 150 in those years. Ted only had one year in his career (at age 40) where his OPS+ was under 150 (and it was only half a season really).

I think as a hitter, Ted gets the nod. If you consider the total package though, Bonds is probably the better overall player (9 gold gloves as a LF is pretty impressive).
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby 4Pack » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:08 pm

Tavish wrote:
4Pack wrote:

I see Bonds has another day off! Must be tough to get up early from those night games. Yeah nice team player he is.

Please tell me you are just joking. If not that, then you might want to dig a little deeper in to some facts.

Yeah I am joking! I would love to have a teamate that plays when he wants to play ala Randy Moss.
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:23 pm

4Pack wrote:Yeah I am joking! I would love to have a teamate that plays when he wants to play ala Randy Moss.

So I'll take that as you weren't joking. You do realize that he is on pace to break nearly every offensive record for a 42 year old, including games played? You realize that only Randy Winn has played in more games for the Giants this season? Hard to understand why his teammates put up with his laziness. ;-7

Current pace and rank All-Time for a player who is 42:
BA - 3rd
OBP - 1st
SLG - 1st
OPS - 1st
Games - 1st
ABs - 4th
PA - 2nd
Runs - 1st
Hits - 5th
TB - 1st
Dbl - 1st
HRs - 1st
RBI - 3rd
BB - 1st
SB - 5th
OPS+ - 1st
RC - 1st
XBH - 1st
ToB - 1st

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers