Derrek Lee's lack of HRs? What to make of it? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Derrek Lee's lack of HRs? What to make of it?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Derrek Lee's lack of HRs? What to make of it?

Postby IrishSox14 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:25 pm

I think the main reason of his lack of HR this years is due to the fact that they brought in Soriano. They no longer turn to him for the long ball but to drive them in. With Aram healthy and hitting behind him, he just needs to get on base to set up Aram. Im thinking if the Cubs make a push, look for his HR to increase. Thats my 2 cents.
IrishSox14
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tf77 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:03 pm

That's the other thing I noticed... He isn't swinging for the fences just trying to get on base. Still, he gets to see alot of pitches down and away, nothing he can drive really
tf77
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby LukeW9027 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:32 pm

IrishSox14 wrote:I think the main reason of his lack of HR this years is due to the fact that they brought in Soriano. They no longer turn to him for the long ball but to drive them in. With Aram healthy and hitting behind him, he just needs to get on base to set up Aram. Im thinking if the Cubs make a push, look for his HR to increase. Thats my 2 cents.

So you are saying the Cubs are telling him not to hit HR's anymore? give me a break. Also, if you ever watch any Cubs games, you would realize that Aram is not even close to being healthy, he can barely run. Lee just has been hitting tons of line drives and just doesnt seem to have the power in his swing. There are countless times where lee will hit the ball hard but fly out to deep left center, I cant put my finger on it. Hopefully he gets it going.
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby alchemy » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:38 pm

From what I've seen -- watched a few games -- and read (his quotes), I don't think he's changed his approach at all. Could just be happenstance. He is hitting a lot of doubles which suggests he is hitting the ball well.

As an owner of both Lee and Vlad, I'm wishing more of their doubles would turn into home runs. And would be better off in the standings if this was the case. But not sweating it ... yet.
alchemy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MotorCityKitties » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:57 pm

Yoda wrote:Wrist injury... you do not want one of your hitters coming off a wrist injury... This year alone, look at Weeks, Delgado, Lee....

I agree with you but Sheff is coming off a wrist injury as well.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mtxdevil » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:54 pm

MotorCityKitties wrote:
Yoda wrote:Wrist injury... you do not want one of your hitters coming off a wrist injury... This year alone, look at Weeks, Delgado, Lee....

good point. And Sheff is killing the ball now.
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pangbones » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:23 am

MotorCityKitties wrote:

Yes he is. But wasn't Lee's similar to the one Nomar had a few years back. He hasn't been the same since. Maybe Lee's power is gone!! :-t
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby ukrneal » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:58 am

I think people were just expecting too much. He never was really a big HR hitter. The only reason he was usually ranked so high was the 20-20 proposition at 1B (or 30-15). How many 1B provide so many SB. So I really don't see much of a difference. He always hit more doubles, so this should not be new. If people were expecting 2005 results, they are of course upset. In terms of Runs and RBI, he is pretty much on track with historical numbers. The only real difference is probably his SB totals. But I don't think he is off career averages, he's just been a bit unlucky with more doubles and fewer HR.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mugrila » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:09 pm

I sort of had a sneaky suspicion that he wouldn't produce like everyone expected; I think he's having a solid season, but I'm glad I didn't take him as a 1st or 2nd round pick.

Check this out. :-)
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Philomath » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:31 pm

Mugrila wrote:I sort of had a sneaky suspicion that he wouldn't produce like everyone expected; I think he's having a solid season, but I'm glad I didn't take him as a 1st or 2nd round pick.

Check this out. :-)

Very funny Mugrila, but your article is true. Lee's 2005 year was an anomoly. He has had a 280ish batting avg and approx 25 HRs over his career.
Philomath
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers