Chances of Arod going to the Cubs this year for Zambrano? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chances of Arod going to the Cubs this year for Zambrano?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Chances of Arod going to the Cubs this year for Zambrano?

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:14 pm

The Mets will sign him to play 2b. ;-7 :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:20 pm

Tavish wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
dryice wrote:Yanks won't resign him cuz they lose the free Texas dough..

that would be dumb for the parties taking advantage of free Texas dough (Yanks and arod) wouldn't it...opt out of the contract, no more Texas dough and then resign w/ Yanks?

Could extend him tho and keep the dough.

While the Yankees would love to continue to have Texas picking up some of the tab, that is a nonfactor here.

Exactly. A-Rod is going to get paid, he doesn't care where it comes from and the Yankees don't have much choice in the matter. There is no way you will ever hear A-Rod say that he won't resign with the Yankees, even though I don't see any way it happens. But neither A-Rod nor Boras are stupid enough to eliminate a team that could help drive his price in the free market up. If people thought his contract with Texas was ridiculous, wait until they get a load of the one he gets this next offseason. Teams won't only be bidding for his services, they will also be bidding for the chance to have A-Rod on their roster as he chases down whatever mark Barry sets the HR record at. 7 or 8 years at $30 per isn't out of the question.

Yup. What irks me as a Yankee fan is how the agents fictitiously mention the Yankees "interest" to drive up the price. They used to be in on most big ticket guys and drove the price up but now, even when they aren't involved, it seems like the agents say that they are just to get their client more $$. :-C
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Tavish » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:23 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Yup. What irks me as a Yankee fan is how the agents fictitiously mention the Yankees "interest" to drive up the price. They used to be in on most big ticket guys and drove the price up but now, even when they aren't involved, it seems like the agents say that they are just to get their client more $$. :-C

It could be worse, you could try and sign Gil Meche and have the agent say "Well look how much Carl Pavano and Jaret Wright make." :-C

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby dougbies » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:02 pm

zero
dougbies
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby noseeum » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:15 pm

Tavish wrote:It could be worse, you could try and sign Gil Meche and have the agent say "Well look how much Carl Pavano and Jaret Wright make." :-C

And then that GM should say, "Meche hasn't done squat and both of those guys were signed coming off of great seasons. Try another one."

Not that I'm saying those were good signings, but the Yanks weren't the only ones competing for Pavano and Wright. Meche was not good last year. He's never been good. He's just had potential. Pavano and Wright have definitely performed well in the past.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby celtics464 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:01 pm

The chances of this deal happening are 0. They cant afford Zambrano so they definitely can't afford Arod. The only team I see Arod going to would be the Angels for a boatload of players. No one else wants/can afford him
celtics464
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:36 pm

The other wild card here is that if the Cubs do manage to accomplish something for a change, they would likely do EXTREMELY well at selling themselves and get gonzo interest in all things Cubs and, presumably, make money off of it and could end up in a position to be able to afford Cra-Z and A Rod and seven dwarves to boot.

The Cubs already get nice numbers of fans on the road all over the country and I think that there are quite a few people who are out there besides the ones who get stuffed into Wrigley every year. If the Cubs win, we would all have to buy at least one jersey, an official world series hat and perhaps some other goodies as well. While there's plenty of opportunity for people outside the club to make money off of it, I think that a Cubs series appearance would likely rake in some serious dough, likely quite a bit more than the 'typical' team in the world series... :-)
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:51 pm

I still think Arod ends up a cub even if this trade doesn't happen.

And since the concensus is Zero Chance. I'll say there's a chance and proudly note it in my sig if it happens. If it doesn't i'll deny ever mentioning it. :-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby citti34 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:09 pm

celtics464 wrote: No one else wants/can afford him
Come on now, lets be realistic. I can't have Eva Longoria, but do I want her?

Ummm, YES...
citti34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:15 pm

citti34 wrote:
celtics464 wrote: No one else wants/can afford him
Come on now, lets be realistic. I can't have Eva Longoria, but do I want her? Ummm, YES...

Nice. ;-D

And the guys mentioning the pending sale of the Cubbies are dead on, IMO. Zambo will be back with the Cubs next year. He likes it there, he likes his team, he likes the city, and all those people like him. The only reason they haven't locked him up is the sale.

ARod is never going to play for the Cubs. They won't afford him after signing Big Z, on top of all the other salary they picked up last offseason. Note I said they "won't" afford him, not "can't." That's not a typo.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers