Fantasy gods I need your help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fantasy gods I need your help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fantasy gods I need your help

Postby thaklanksta » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:46 pm

I've spent countless hours in research for the up coming season. I have my (NL only) protected list ready to turn in but it's not due until March 2nd. Whats a good plan to be doing while I wait to see who is protected so I can plan on my draft.

I have players ranked at each position based on several source rankings in combination of my own personal adjustments. I feel my team of Thome, Helton, Sosa, Nevin, Griffey, Patterson, Cintron, Millwood, Nomo, Willis is a good combintaion of Power and pitching (even if griff is a stiff AGAIN).

I see a glaring weakness for speed and saves. All of what I read say grab the best players available in the first few rounds. Problem is i'm loaded in the outfield and First base. Should I take the best players period in the first few rounds and trade them for my needs later? Or should I take Benitez or Matsui with my first pick and pass up players I anticipate that will be available (Chipper, Cameron, Everett, N.Johnson, Luis Gonz, Durham, AJ Pierzynski, Jenkins, Beltre, Maddux, Clement Pettitte, Clemens and much more i'm sure)

Would you offer Nevin for someones first pick if you could get the 2nd and 5th pick (Matsui and Benitez??) which should fill two needs instantly?

Any help (on the topic) would be greatly appreciated.
thaklanksta
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kentx12 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:53 pm

I would trade Nevin if I thought I could get a quality player. As far as your needs I would not be to quick to take a closer. You had Chipper listed as available. I would be tempted to grab him then try to package a couple of lesser players for a closer. As far as Matsui if he is the best available ss I would grab him early.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby thaklanksta » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:58 am

Bump...bump bump....
thaklanksta
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Erboes » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:36 am

Well, I may not be a god, but I'll take a stab at it as a minor deity.

I'm not a big proponent of position scarcity, but there comes a time when you have to fill those positions; however, when a player such as Jones is available at this point you take him regardless of need.

As far as your trade possibility goes, you should do it immediately. It is the best of both worlds and Nevin is always a risk. When it comes right down to it, Jones is much better than Nevin so you improve your team right there, plus adding Matsui and Benitez to fill your needs is just icing on the cake.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:10 am

Trade Nevin. Chipper is the best pick. Benitez and Matsui would be good 2nd choices.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby trevisc » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:10 am

HOOTIE wrote:Trade Nevin. Chipper is the best pick. Benitez and Matsui would be good 2nd choices.

Solid advice

;-D

Chipper has 8 straight 100 rbi seasons
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby StLrEdBiRdS2004 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:24 am

ya, good advice Hootie.

http://excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=1400
StLrEdBiRdS2004
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:48 pm

trevisc wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:Trade Nevin. Chipper is the best pick. Benitez and Matsui would be good 2nd choices.

Solid advice

;-D

Chipper has 8 straight 100 rbi seasons

That's what I would do. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers