Braves sign a top international prospect, Julio Teheran - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Braves sign a top international prospect, Julio Teheran

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Braves sign a top international prospect, Julio Teheran

Postby BravesGuy » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:35 pm

http://braves.scout.com/2/656167.html

It’s the biggest international signing for the Braves since a kid named Elvis came aboard two and a half years ago, and it has the front office just a tad bit excited.

The Braves signed sixteen-year-old Julio Teheran to a contract Monday, the first day for international signings. He’s a 6’2½”, 175-pound right-handed pitcher from Colombia that was rated as the top pitcher on the international market this summer.

Teheran has a fastball that ranges from 91-94 mph along with a plus curve and plus changeup. The Braves have followed Teheran for two years, seeing most of his starts. When he turned sixteen in January the Braves increased their interest and made him the top target.

”We’re extremely happy,” said Almaraz, who has seen Teheran four times himself in person. “This kid is some type of talent. Julio is a power arm. He’s everything we look for in a pitching prospect. He’s a very special prospect because he’s so young and he has the pitchability that not many young kids have. He’s a right-handed pitcher that just has an idea of how to pitch.”

”He commands three pitches in the strike zone, and they are all average to above average pitches. To find a pitcher with command for these pitches is very rare. He’s the best 16-year-old I’ve ever seen that possesses both command and the stuff at the same time.”
Last edited by BravesGuy on Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Braves sign top international prospect, Julio Teheran

Postby Knicks4ever » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:47 am

so how good of a prospect is this kid? would you say he is a top 100 prospect? or is he two raw?
Knicks4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BravesGuy » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:08 pm

Knicks4ever wrote:so how good of a prospect is this kid? would you say he is a top 100 prospect? or is he two raw?

I couldn't tell you that. I just read it on Scout.com (free trial ends today). Maybe someone else could tell you some more about him, but I doubt theres much info on him b/c he is so young.

Here is another article that mentions him.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/pr ... 64421.html
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Fantasy Man 27 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:34 am

He's too raw. I read on BA that if these guys were in the draft, they'd be taken at the end of the first round. This guy is going to be great one day, but that day is a long way away.
Fantasy Man 27
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:16 am

I've heard this kid was good but I hear the Red Sox got the top signing with Almanzar.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 138)

Re: Braves sign a top international prospect, Julio Teheran

Postby stealthdevil » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:59 pm

hmmm. I heard the Yankees got the best signee with that DeLeon fellow. Once again its BoSox vs. Yanks. Anyway I picked up in Teheren in my Dynasty League. Figured I'd get him before someone else did.
stealthdevil
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BravesGuy » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:13 pm

I didnt say the Braves got THE top prospect, just A top prospect.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stealthdevil » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:53 pm

BravesGuy wrote:I didnt say the Braves got THE top prospect, just A top prospect.

The top pitching prospect at least. It doesn't sound like the position players are very highly touted this year. The best I've heard is a Melky Cabrera comparison. So, Teheren could very well be the top international prospect signed.
stealthdevil
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Seattle_Will » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:32 am

Teheran is the top RHP for sure. Carlos Flores is a Lefty who may be the better prospect. He is throwing 90-91 as a 16 or 17 year old, and that alone puts him higher than Teheran for me.

Of course there are a ton of things that could come up and diminish or increase prospect values. Flores has been pretty secretive from what I have read, and there is actually some doubt that he even exists, and plenty of prospects lie about their age. And it is much less exact than the June Draft. Wily Mo Pena was a million dollar plus signee, and Carlos Gomez was less than a tenth of a million. That said, there is the occasional "cant-miss" King Felix.

My Point: I won't get excited about an International FA until they actually do something like Triunfel or Guerra.
Seattle_Will
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Fantasy Man 27 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:42 pm

Yeah, too bad Teheran can throw 94 MPH already.
Fantasy Man 27
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball