Strategy in Keeper League: Win and Build for next year - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy in Keeper League: Win and Build for next year

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategy in Keeper League: Win and Build for next year

Postby Nails86 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:55 pm

I am winning the league by a fair amount and we can keep 8 players next year. It is an 11 team 5X5 roto league. the guys I am thinking about keeping are Konerko, Miguel Cabrera, Tejada, Holliday, Pence, Figgins, Sheff, Delmon Young, Braun, Lackey, Lincecum, Sheets, Webb.
As you can see I have a lot of solid players but only 2 top guys. I am thinking about dealing two of these players for one great player and althought it may hurt me this year it will help next year and I think I can still hold off the rest of the pack for this year. I want to package a Tejada and a Braun for Crawford. Or a Sheets and Webb for Johan. Something along those lines. Has anyone used this straegy? Is it a good idea? Thanks
Nails86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Strategy in Keeper League: Win and Build for next year

Postby dclark0699 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:02 pm

I think the best idea is win the league this year...then in the off-season try to make a package deal or two.

Some of the lower teams may not have as many solid keepers and would look to trade one superstar for two great players.

That is the strategy I use. Every year I try to build a team that can win, with as many keeper quality players as possible, So I can make trades at the end of the year and improve the overall quality of the guys I end up keeping.

My plan this year is to package a combo of guys like Kazmir, Pence, Hart, Rich Hill..etc...for a top tier guy to complete my keepers.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:03 pm

I know this strategy well. I am a very big supporter of it, and try to employ it every year in my keeper regardless of standings. It generally is advantageous to be receiving the best player. I constantly try to improve my keeper set, and get the best set of keepers I can.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:43 pm

I would definitely try to improve whenever you can. I'm a big proponent of trying to win this year if you have the chance. looks like MCab, Holliday, Webb, Sheets and Lackey are pretty good 5 in an 11 team league. I would try to package Tejada and another hitter for a top SS since he seems to be regressing some.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mak1277 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:13 pm

dclark0699 wrote:I think the best idea is win the league this year...then in the off-season try to make a package deal or two.

My thoughts exactly. If you're at or near the top this year, don't do anything that will jeopardize that. You can make your keeper upgrade trades just as easily in the offseason. Maybe more easily, because there is less pressure for the other owners to make a deal that doesn't piss anyone off since you're in the offseason.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:07 pm

The key to this strategy is balance. As long as you keep your team strong enough to be a serious contender for the title, I'd make these moves whenever possible.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rounders » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:47 pm

mak1277 wrote:
dclark0699 wrote:I think the best idea is win the league this year...then in the off-season try to make a package deal or two.

My thoughts exactly. If you're at or near the top this year, don't do anything that will jeopardize that. You can make your keeper upgrade trades just as easily in the offseason. Maybe more easily, because there is less pressure for the other owners to make a deal that doesn't piss anyone off since you're in the offseason.

Flags fly forever. I'm winning my league, but I'm trying to make a deal where I send my 2nd best keeper (I'm not selling Ortiz) for 2 or 3 good players that aren't keepers. I'm lucky to be at the top considering that I took over for a team that didn't turn in their keeper list, so I had to draft everyone I got. (we can keep up to 5, and they become our first 5 picks)
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:52 pm

Rounders wrote:
mak1277 wrote:

Flags fly forever. I'm winning my league, but I'm trying to make a deal where I send my 2nd best keeper (I'm not selling Ortiz) for 2 or 3 good players that aren't keepers. I'm lucky to be at the top considering that I took over for a team that didn't turn in their keeper list, so I had to draft everyone I got. (we can keep up to 5, and they become our first 5 picks)

Well it depends on league settings as well...but in my keeper league, I'm constantly trying to improve my keeper set. The way I see it is once I have the strongest set of 10 keepers possible, my team will be a perennial contender for the crown. So I find myself doing the opposite of what you are suggesting, I'm contstantly trying to trade for other teams top keepers, even if it means trading a handful of talented players.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:00 pm

pokerplaya wrote:Well it depends on league settings as well...but in my keeper league, I'm constantly trying to improve my keeper set. The way I see it is once I have the strongest set of 10 keepers possible, my team will be a perennial contender for the crown. So I find myself doing the opposite of what you are suggesting, I'm contstantly trying to trade for other teams top keepers, even if it means trading a handful of talented players.

I agree for the most part on keepers although I traded Wright in my league last week to shore up for the playoffs. Having good keepers allows you to compete every year.

I was out of the race last year and traded Berkman, Pedro, Hafner, Jenks, Vmart among others for Pujols, Santana and Fielder. My other keepers coming into the season were Holliday, Sheets and Wright. Needless to say, that trade help me out big time so far this year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers