Brett Myers coming back to Close. Hopefully. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Brett Myers coming back to Close. Hopefully.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brett Myers coming back to Close. Hopefully.

Postby jtbarr » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:55 am

Myers is expected to return from the disabled list around July 13, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
Myers hasn't pitched since May 23, but this latest news is promising. He is 1-2 with six saves in seven chances and **should move into the Phillies' closer role upon his return**. Continue to monitor the developments in case he suffers a setback.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=305017&hilit=
jtbarr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Brett Myers coming back to Close. Hopefully.

Postby wildbill » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:17 pm

He's already had multiple setbacks, would another make much difference? It's a shame the GM and Manager in Philly have absolutley no idea how to build and use a pitching staff. The move to the bullpen is what got Myers hurt for the first time in his major league career. Now they want to send him right back out and continue doing what got him hurt. I wouldn't expect much out of him until next season when hopefully the GM and manager have been fired and replaced by some competant people who put him back in the rotation.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dc928 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:25 pm

wildbill wrote:He's already had multiple setbacks, would another make much difference? It's a shame the GM and Manager in Philly have absolutley no idea how to build and use a pitching staff. The move to the bullpen is what got Myers hurt for the first time in his major league career. Now they want to send him right back out and continue doing what got him hurt. I wouldn't expect much out of him until next season when hopefully the GM and manager have been fired and replaced by some competant people who put him back in the rotation.

I agreed, why the hell do they put him as a closer anyways, it is like putting Johan Santana to the closer role. B Myer is the Ace of the staff in the beginning of the season, there is no reason they should be doing that to him. Especially now with the injuries to J Liber and F Garcia. I'd expect them to put B Myer back as a starter. They will be stupid if they don't.
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wildbill » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:43 pm

dc928 wrote:
wildbill wrote:He's already had multiple setbacks, would another make much difference? It's a shame the GM and Manager in Philly have absolutley no idea how to build and use a pitching staff. The move to the bullpen is what got Myers hurt for the first time in his major league career. Now they want to send him right back out and continue doing what got him hurt. I wouldn't expect much out of him until next season when hopefully the GM and manager have been fired and replaced by some competant people who put him back in the rotation.

I agreed, why the hell do they put him as a closer anyways, it is like putting Johan Santana to the closer role. B Myer is the Ace of the staff in the beginning of the season, there is no reason they should be doing that to him. Especially now with the injuries to J Liber and F Garcia. I'd expect them to put B Myer back as a starter. They will be stupid if they don't.
Well Phillies management is stupid; incredibly stupid. They have no one of significant trade value in the minor leagues that would get them a difference making SP in a trade, so their only options are internal. Myers is the only option they have that can be a difference making SP. Without him starting I think the Phillies will be out of contention and sellers by the end of July. BTW wasn't Charlie Manuel a kindergarden dropout? The man makes Forest Gump look like a genius.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby uucrook3d » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:02 pm

myers is not going to be starting. when he comes back he will be the closer. he said in the beginning that if the move was made it would be permanent for the year. he didnt want to be shuttled back and forth. also, trying to stretch him out again at this point would probably further injure him...
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wildbill » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:23 pm

uucrook3d wrote:myers is not going to be starting. when he comes back he will be the closer. he said in the beginning that if the move was made it would be permanent for the year. he didnt want to be shuttled back and forth. also, trying to stretch him out again at this point would probably further injure him...

Perhaps you're not responding to me but I'm not arguing he is going to start. I think what you said is practically verbatim of what I've read on various news sites many times over the last month. Do you have any thoughts of your own to add? All opinions welcome. The point I was making is that he should not have been put in the bullpen in the first place because that's what got him hurt. If as expected he returns to the bullpen I fully expect another lenghty DL stay this season. Then again there won't be much to close so maybe he'll only pitch every five days anyway.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates