Panic attack Major League Managers. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Panic attack Major League Managers.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Panic attack Major League Managers.

Postby KR » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:08 pm

This is my first year reaallly following every game and some managers really fustrate me, Do they fustrate anyone else?

Players spots in the lineup is just sooo important in leagues, and so many managers seem to either have no patience(Lou Pinella) or are in total panic mode(Joe Torre).

Lou Pinella has a bunch of young players, and besides destroynig there confidence it just seems like he has no patience. Felix Pie looks to be a 5 tool player, and is now sitting on the bench even against righties for Angel Pagan. Mike Fontenet is hitting 400 in the 2 spot, and got benched after 1 hitless game.

Joe Torre continues to panic every day switching now jeter to the 3 spot, Cano to 9th as punishment for yesterday's no hit game in the 3 spot. Cabrera is shifted everyday too. Any Yankee fan has seen this stuff just about everyday lately. Bobby Cox in Atlanta has been in panic mode quite a bit this year as well.

im noticing a few managers really get panic'ed and its getting fustrating. Out of all of them Lou Pinella is just the worst---Thankgod Im not a cub fan. How do you guys react to your players getting switched from productive spots in the order to the backend? What managers are known to do this? Is this completely normal?
KR
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Panic attack Major League Managers.

Postby jake_harv88 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:21 pm

I've actually found myself questioning more managers moves this year than others. Charlie Manuel is the name that comes to a lot of peoples minds. If its not his random blow ups its the fact that he moved brett myers to the bullpen at of no where. The orioles were allowing 22 yr old adam loewen to throw a month with pain in his elbow i believe. Its moves like that, that make me question how some people still have a job...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby BigZ38 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:32 pm

Maybe Mike Fontenot went to the bench because he has never played a 162 game year, and is a young guy who occasionally needs a day off, and Pinella has DeRosa and Theriot who he has to work into the lineup.

Also, the Cubs are 18-9 since Pinella went bizurk on the umpire.

If you want the worst manager, then wait until Dusty Baker gets another job.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Noggy » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:37 pm

Wasn't there a study done that showed that the order that the same guys hit only results in the difference between a few runs over the course of the season?
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KR » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:10 pm

BigZ38 wrote:Maybe Mike Fontenot went to the bench because he has never played a 162 game year, and is a young guy who occasionally needs a day off, and Pinella has DeRosa and Theriot who he has to work into the lineup.

Also, the Cubs are 18-9 since Pinella went bizurk on the umpire.

If you want the worst manager, then wait until Dusty Baker gets another job.

Being that I follow the games I can tell you it has ALOT more to do with Theirot hitting 3 doubles yesterday, and Fontenot doing a 0-fer.

While your defending him please explain how horrible hes handling Pie. Angel Pagan are you kidding me? Pie is sitting against righties now too.
KR
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BigZ38 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:16 pm

I can't explain what the Cubs are doing with Pie. He was hitting about .400 in the minors, but right now he and Pagan have put up very similar numbers for the past month. I would like to see him in the game more but right now is a stupid time to b1tch about Lou seeing as how the Cubs have won 9 of their last 10.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:05 am

Torre has been making bad decisions for years
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby dillpickle » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:20 am

Not sure this qualifies as a "panic attack", but I do know that Jim Leyland seemed to think or assume that the Tiger's bullpen this year was the same as last year well into the season, when it was quite obvious to the average baseball fan after about 20 games that Rodney, Grilli, and Jones weren't even close to last year. Zumaya wasn't even throwing the ball anywhere close to last year prior to injury. Ten games in, I was very, very concerned about this year's bullpen. Of course, Leyland kept pulling his pitchers 80 pitches into the game and letting this year's bullpen blow games. Now I think he has figured it out that their bullpen is one of the worse in baseball if not thee worse.
dillpickle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:27 am

dillpickle wrote:if not thee worse.

lol... Biblically speaking, right? :-b
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Return to Baseball Leftovers