Scooter Libby's Sentence Commuted - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Scooter Libby's Sentence Commuted

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Scooter Libby's Sentence Commuted

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:44 am

Yeah I'll throw the BS flag on those statistics. I bet that anyone who has ever watched/read (even once) is counted as audience. I won't eve make this about FOX vs Daily Show viewers (I watch both regularly). There is absolutely no way only 44% of regular Daily Show viewers could identify Libby.
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Re: Scooter Libby's Sentence Commuted

Postby Coppermine » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:52 am

Amazinz wrote:Yeah I'll throw the BS flag on those statistics. I bet that anyone who has ever watched/read (even once) is counted as audience. I won't eve make this about FOX vs Daily Show viewers (I watch both regularly). There is absolutely no way only 44% of regular Daily Show viewers could identify Libby.


Yeah, if you're a regular Daily Show viewer, I'd put that close to 80%. The Daily Show has been doing bits on Libby consistently since his indictment. I think it's hard to tell where viewers literally get their news; some studies have indicated that Daily Show viewers are more informed because they have a general interest in current events anyway, and get their news from print media or the Internet.

I watch the Daily Show regularly, but I get my news from NPR which is where I would pride myself on being able to name several world leaders with hard-to-pronounce names (Ahmadininajad anyone?) and that I know absolutely nothing about the Paris Hilton incarceration (there wasn't a single mention of it).

Edit: I don't think Jon Stewart even talked about Paris Hilton, only telling his audience that if they were to do a story on Paris, that the clever, pop-cultureism they would use for the story would be "The Shawskank Redemption." B-)
Last edited by Coppermine on Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Re: Scooter Libby's Sentence Commuted

Postby knapplc » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:52 am

Amazinz wrote:Yeah I'll throw the BS flag on those statistics. I bet that anyone who has ever watched/read (even once) is counted as audience. I won't eve make this about FOX vs Daily Show viewers (I watch both regularly). There is absolutely no way only 44% of regular Daily Show viewers could identify Libby.


Why do you say that? They talk about him ALL THE TIME. I would bet that the percentage is higher than 44%.


EDIT - nevermind. I missed "only" in your post. We agree. ;-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7870
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Re: Scooter Libby's Sentence Commuted

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:07 pm

You know, I'm often pretty critical of republicans, but I'll admit they've stepped up to the plate today. To wit:

"How can parents instill values and morality in their children?" asked a befuddled Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-NE). "How can educators teach our children? How can the rule of law for every American be applied equally if we have two standards of justice in America – one for the powerful and the other for the rest of us?"

Senate Minority Leader Bill Frist joined Hagel in slamming Bush's actions, saying the commutation amounted to unfair treatment. "He is not above the law," said the clearly enraged Republican from Tennessee. "If an ordinary citizen committed these crimes, he would go to jail."

You would think, of all places, President Bush would find some love in his home state of Texas -- but no so. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison said the Libby communion jeopardizes the nation’s entire legal system.

"I very much worry that with the evidence that we have seen that grand juries across America are going to start asking questions about what is obstruction of justice, what is perjury," the senator said. "And I don't want there to be any lessening of the standard. Because our system of criminal justice depends on people telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. That is the lynch pin of our criminal justice system and I don't want it to be faded in any way."

Fellow Republican Texan Tom Delay, himself indicted, nonetheless issued a scathing attack on the commutation.

"No man is above the law, and no man is below the law," Delay said, choking back tears. "That's the principle that we all hold very dear in this country."



ON EDIT: My mistake. Those were all quotes from when CLINTON lied under oath. The republicans have been supportive of the Libby pardon.
Last edited by Absolutely Adequate on Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5000
Joined: 6 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Not here.

Re: Scooter Libby's Sentence Commuted

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:16 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:"How can parents instill values and morality in their children?" asked a befuddled Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-NE). "How can educators teach our children? How can the rule of law for every American be applied equally if we have two standards of justice in America – one for the powerful and the other for the rest of us?"


Although I agree with his message, I can't help but find it humerous that a US Senator thinks he's among "the rest of us" and not one of the powerful.
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Scooter Libby's Sentence Commuted

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:51 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:You know, I'm often pretty critical of republicans,


8-o

Get out of here. ;-7



In any case, this is stupid. But they all do this. Seems to me I remember Clinton having his Whitewater buddies whacked and then pardoning a bunch of his other felonious friends while he was in office as well. Not that it makes this any better, just that it's not terribly surprising. I think Bush is wrong here, but then I'm not surprised by that either. Frankly, the only hope the Republicans have in 2008 (not that I particularly love any of the candidates, but I like to think they'll do a better job with taxes and not raising the budgets of all the social welfare programs by 400% - or God help us going to universal health care) is that Hillary or Obama win the nomination, because I don't think either are electable.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13710
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Building a metric. And being ignorable and stupid.

Re: Scooter Libby's Sentence Commuted

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:17 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:You know, I'm often pretty critical of republicans,


8-o

Get out of here. ;-7


Well, I wasn't critical of them at all until they started running our country into the ground...



In any case, this is stupid. But they all do this. Seems to me I remember Clinton having his Whitewater buddies whacked and then pardoning a bunch of his other felonious friends while he was in office as well. Not that it makes this any better, just that it's not terribly surprising. I think Bush is wrong here, but then I'm not surprised by that either. Frankly, the only hope the Republicans have in 2008 (not that I particularly love any of the candidates, but I like to think they'll do a better job with taxes and not raising the budgets of all the social welfare programs by 400% - or God help us going to universal health care) is that Hillary or Obama win the nomination, because I don't think either are electable.


I'm sorry, did you just claim that Clinton paid to have people killed because of Whitewater? Really? I think that sort of baseless accusation really nullifies the rest of the post. Just like when somebody claims that 9/11 was set up by the government and you rightfully disregard anything else that person says, I'm drawing some pretty strong conclusions now.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5000
Joined: 6 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Not here.

Re: Scooter Libby's Sentence Commuted

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:47 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:In any case, this is stupid. But they all do this. Seems to me I remember Clinton having his Whitewater buddies whacked and then pardoning a bunch of his other felonious friends while he was in office as well. Not that it makes this any better, just that it's not terribly surprising. I think Bush is wrong here, but then I'm not surprised by that either. Frankly, the only hope the Republicans have in 2008 (not that I particularly love any of the candidates, but I like to think they'll do a better job with taxes and not raising the budgets of all the social welfare programs by 400% - or God help us going to universal health care) is that Hillary or Obama win the nomination, because I don't think either are electable.


I'm sorry, did you just claim that Clinton paid to have people killed because of Whitewater? Really? I think that sort of baseless accusation really nullifies the rest of the post. Just like when somebody claims that 9/11 was set up by the government and you rightfully disregard anything else that person says, I'm drawing some pretty strong conclusions now.


IIRC there were some pretty good links between Clinton and several people who were just mysteriously killed, and the Clintons were the prime beneficiaries. I'm not saying that he for sure did anything, but no one knows exactly what the whole relationship was here either but in this case it's ok to assume that Bush is crooked up to his eyeballs (not that I really care because I'm not a fan of his either). Anyway, it's just a good example of the bitchin' double standard we seem to have around here... They're all crooks to some extent or another and I'm not surprised by a damn thing that any of them do any more.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13710
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Building a metric. And being ignorable and stupid.

Re: Scooter Libby's Sentence Commuted

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:04 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:In any case, this is stupid. But they all do this. Seems to me I remember Clinton having his Whitewater buddies whacked and then pardoning a bunch of his other felonious friends while he was in office as well. Not that it makes this any better, just that it's not terribly surprising. I think Bush is wrong here, but then I'm not surprised by that either. Frankly, the only hope the Republicans have in 2008 (not that I particularly love any of the candidates, but I like to think they'll do a better job with taxes and not raising the budgets of all the social welfare programs by 400% - or God help us going to universal health care) is that Hillary or Obama win the nomination, because I don't think either are electable.


I'm sorry, did you just claim that Clinton paid to have people killed because of Whitewater? Really? I think that sort of baseless accusation really nullifies the rest of the post. Just like when somebody claims that 9/11 was set up by the government and you rightfully disregard anything else that person says, I'm drawing some pretty strong conclusions now.


IIRC there were some pretty good links between Clinton and several people who were just mysteriously killed, and the Clintons were the prime beneficiaries. I'm not saying that he for sure did anything, but no one knows exactly what the whole relationship was here either but in this case it's ok to assume that Bush is crooked up to his eyeballs (not that I really care because I'm not a fan of his either). Anyway, it's just a good example of the bitchin' double standard we seem to have around here... They're all crooks to some extent or another and I'm not surprised by a damn thing that any of them do any more.


Really, I've seen the argument. It's silly.

I think it is fair to assume either that Bush is up to his eyeballs in this or his closest aides are. Certainly, Rove and Cheney were pretty strongly implicated in this.

I'm not sure how discussing how Bush has circumvented justice while we ignore wild speculation about the Clintons killing people is a "bitchin' double standard." Also, I'm not sure what a "bitchin' double standard" is, either. How is it different from a regular double standard?

"They're all crooks to some extent or another..." Yeah. We all break laws to some extent or another. I jaywalk. I think I remember reading that Omaha Red Sox litters. But I think it's pretty clear at this point that Bush and Cheney are crooks. And that they think they're above the law. Today, they had a victory. The royal court probably had a nice little garden party. But this isn't the way the government is supposed to work. If Congress had any guts, they'd impeach Cheney at this point. But they don't, and our royal overlords continue to create two Americas: one for the rich and one for the poor.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5000
Joined: 6 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Not here.

Re: Scooter Libby's Sentence Commuted

Postby 5 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:13 pm

what does Clinton have to do with Libby?
5
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2296
Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Jul. 23
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cleveland at Minnesota
(1:10 pm)
Kansas City at Chi White Sox
(2:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Milwaukee
(2:10 pm)
Washington at Colorado
(3:10 pm)
Detroit at Arizona
(3:40 pm)
NY Mets at Seattle
(3:40 pm)
LA Dodgers at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
San Francisco at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
Texas at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Tampa Bay at St. Louis
(7:15 pm)
San Diego at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Baltimore at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(10:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact