LA Times reporting interesting Dodger/White Sox Trade Rumor - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

LA Times reporting interesting Dodger/White Sox Trade Rumor

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: LA Times reporting interesting Dodger/White Sox Trade Rumor

Postby hwiggen » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:02 am

Tommy John, you make a good point about the White Sox being cheap. Kemp's salary is probably a big plus for them but Kenny Williams has said repeatedly that he wants young (read: cheap) pitching.
I don't think people really appreciate how good Buhrle is. Look at his career numbers and then consider that he's pitched half his games in one of the best hitter's parks in baseball AND for a few ofthose years the Sox had one of the worst defenses in baseball:Carlos Lee, Jose Valentine, Ray Durham, Greg Norton.
That said, I wouldn't mind seeing Kemp in a White Sox uniform, but IMO it will take a damn good pitching prospect to get Williams to go for it.

Dodgers fans: is there a chance the Dodgers will try to showcase Kemp for the rest of the month?
I'd pick him up in a heartbeat if he got regular at bats.
hwiggen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby p32bars » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:57 am

The only flaw in Kemp's game is his inability to hit breaking stuff with any consistency. He's too talented to not get over that hump, I'm pulling for him to get regular at bats either with the Dodgers or via a trade. I think that is one of the main reasons why he has had that problem, he's not in there each and everyday to see pitches. If you're struggling as a young player, you need to be thrown into the fire at some point and battle it out to truly conquer your problem. Some players are able to do it, others simply cannot.
p32bars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby skapur20 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:43 am

p32bars wrote:The only flaw in Kemp's game is his inability to hit breaking stuff with any consistency. He's too talented to not get over that hump, I'm pulling for him to get regular at bats either with the Dodgers or via a trade. I think that is one of the main reasons why he has had that problem, he's not in there each and everyday to see pitches. If you're struggling as a young player, you need to be thrown into the fire at some point and battle it out to truly conquer your problem. Some players are able to do it, others simply cannot.

i guess you didnt see the game today or highlights... i think hes commin around on those breaking balls, smoltz threw him a slider up and in and Kemp just absolutely crushed it. i mean over the wall in the bullpen @ dodger stadium. I havent seen a ball hit that far there for sometime.

vin scully came on and said he hadnt seen a ball go over that wall since a bomb by Matt Holliday back in the beginning of the season. good company to be with on that ;-D

Matt Kemp is a stud OF in the making. and to that guy that doesnt think Kemp is enough, they also offering a prospect with him from what is the best farm system around. all for a guy who already rejected a contract offer from the sox and will walk at the end of the year for... nothing! i dont get how any sox fans dont see how they are getting a steal if this trade goes down. No one will complain in a couple years when Kemps got a couple 25/25 .300 seasons under his belt with a gold glove or 2.
ummm lets go angels? :)
skapur20
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hwiggen » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:11 am

Like I said, I like Kemp, but there's absolutely no way the Sox make that deal unless there's another big time pitching prospect included in the deal.
Kemp doesn't play every day and when he does he's batting 8th.
Buhrle is the type of pitcher that will put LA over the top.
hwiggen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tommy John » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:14 am

Is there anyone in here that is close to the Dodgers organization that may know what the future plans are for Kemp. There is no way that Kemp/Ethier should platoon as two up and coming (and most importantly still developing) players, so the arrangement right now doesn't make any sense to me unless they are trying to showcase talent for a potential trade. I agree that both players should be seeing significant time, just not at the other's expense, give LuGo some days off.
Anyone have any deeper insight, I am looking for an excuse to pull the trigger on picking up Kemp. I would just like to know that he will have regular ABs coming his way.
Tommy John
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shasty mcnasty » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:58 am

i know that in general Kenny Williams is always going for young pitching...it's part of the Sox' entire philosophy on pitching, which is a good part of the problem in this buehrle situation. However, i haven't heard Williams say that in this case he's looking for pitching specifically. While it may be true, it seems like pitching is the strength of this team and farm system, and that he might be looking for some good young hitting, since there seems to be virtually none of that in the Sox' farm system...it seems like every time they bring up a young player that's tearing up AAA, he just sucks forever. All that to say, i'm not so sure that Williams is looking for pitching over hitting at this point...i think he wants good young prospects and/or someone who can help them immediatly. They've got Massett/Gonzalez/Floyd all ready to take a spot in the starting rotation when Buehrle leaves.
On another note, i'm with those who think Kemp would be about as good as the Sox could do for Buehrle. I mean, i realize that he's the kind of pitcher that could put a team over the hump in a division/wildcard race, but the fact is that he is a rental player....free agent at the end of the year, who will command a pretty decent contract on the open market. I mean, if Kenny waits until late in the game and gets a couple teams in a bidding war, and/or someone gets really desperate for pitching help, perhaps he could do better, but i just don't really see the sox getting 2 top major league ready talents in exchange for a half year rental...if it happens, Kenny will have gotten a steal.
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: enjoying another beautiful day in southwest Michigan

Postby dc928 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:29 pm

Tommy John wrote:Is there anyone in here that is close to the Dodgers organization that may know what the future plans are for Kemp. There is no way that Kemp/Ethier should platoon as two up and coming (and most importantly still developing) players, so the arrangement right now doesn't make any sense to me unless they are trying to showcase talent for a potential trade. I agree that both players should be seeing significant time, just not at the other's expense, give LuGo some days off.
Anyone have any deeper insight, I am looking for an excuse to pull the trigger on picking up Kemp. I would just like to know that he will have regular ABs coming his way.

If you are in a NL only league you have to pick him up, right now I don't think he is mix league worthy yet. I think the Dodgers likes what they get right now with the Plantoon. It might be a while until Kemp has the starting gig. It might take an injury to L Gonzalez or Juan Pierre to open up playing time for Kemp. What is this remark about Lugo? He is not with the Dodgers any more man.
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby skapur20 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:09 pm

dc928 wrote:
Tommy John wrote:Is there anyone in here that is close to the Dodgers organization that may know what the future plans are for Kemp. There is no way that Kemp/Ethier should platoon as two up and coming (and most importantly still developing) players, so the arrangement right now doesn't make any sense to me unless they are trying to showcase talent for a potential trade. I agree that both players should be seeing significant time, just not at the other's expense, give LuGo some days off.

If you are in a NL only league you have to pick him up, right now I don't think he is mix league worthy yet. I think the Dodgers likes what they get right now with the Plantoon. It might be a while until Kemp has the starting gig. It might take an injury to L Gonzalez or Juan Pierre to open up playing time for Kemp. What is this remark about Lugo? He is not with the Dodgers any more man.

I think LuGo = Luis Gonzalez. not Julio Lugo. i thought that too 1st time i read it.

as far as Kemp goes, depends what kinda league your playing in. in my 12 team dynasty league, I have had him since last year when he got the call, cause the guys i play with will jump at the chance to get a guy with the talent that Kemp has and rub it everyones face when he starts producing. They dodgers have got to get this guy a starting gig, hes hit a HR in 2 consecutive games. In his time in the bigs(though be it limited) hes absolutely crushed the ball all over the field while also stealing a few bases. I think his time will come sooner than later as the NL west is as competitive a division there is in baseball and its just gonna be too hard for them to sit a guy whose hitting so well

btw, earlier in the season, Kemp had won the RF starting job over Ethier. out of spring training they were platooning but after I think a week or 2, it was pretty clear Kemp had won the job. Then bam, hurts his shoulder(makin a sweet catch) playing hard and hittin the outfield wall. so what does he do? goes on the dl for a couple weeks, jus to come back and have like a 14 game hit streak in AAA before the callup.
ummm lets go angels? :)
skapur20
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tommy John » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:49 pm

Ya, I meant Luis Gonzalez. Kemp can't just flat play! ;-D
Tommy John
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TitusIII » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:30 am

Buehrle would be a true ace on the left-coast. I'm not sold on Kemp at the moment, but I'm sure the Dodgers can throw in some highly-regarder 18-20 year old.
TitusIII
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates