Jorge Julio.. 45+ saves?! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jorge Julio.. 45+ saves?!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:04 am

45???

That's a very ambitious number.

I think the real question is if he'll last the entire year as the closer of team. He was almost taken out of the role last year.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby GSes » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:05 am

35-40 saves. I don't think 40+ saves is possible b/c while the orioles will greatly imporve their win total they still are not going to give the save opps that the elite teams will.

Example Yankees, Sox, A's, Mariners, Angels, Blue Jays, Twins will all create 45+ save opps.

Also Julio is going to blow a large portion of games so 35-40 is realistic.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

you dont have to be elite

Postby TheWind199 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:13 am

you dont have to be a "elite" team to get save opps. Look at the dodger for one, granted julio is no Gagne--but teams that dont score a lot of runs like the dodgers, and the padres get quite a few opps themselves. btw, you guys should be talking about dotel, hoffman before a guy like julio.

T
TheWind199
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby LBJackal » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:37 am

The more save chances Julio gets, the more opportunity for him to screw up big time. He's honestly probably the worst closer in baseball, but his save totals keep him valuable for fantasy. He has a terrible ERA and WHIP, doesn't get a lot of K's, and blows a lot of saves (worse converted save % than Biddle :-o ). I'd stay away from him, anybody half decent could probably steal his job...

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Sticky Spice » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:54 am

Trying to guess how many save opps someone will get is nearly insane. You might as well have a chimp throw darts at a wall papered in bingo cards. It's luck!

I think projecting the Orioles at 90 wins is far too high of an expectation, but for my example, let's take it. A team last year that won a similar number of games was the Florida Marlins who won 91. Braden Looper had just 28 saves despite pitching in 74 games and ending 64 of them. I couldn't find how many saves he blew, but let's be liberal and say 8 big ones. Now let's say he converted all those AND give him Urbina's 6 from the last few weeks in September. That equals 42 saves assuming he converted every single opportunity.

Senor guest brought up another good point which is that Jorge almost lost his job last year.
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 40)

Postby CrimeDog » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:45 am

He may put up that many saves, but his ERA and WHIP numbers probably won't do you much good. I'd still take him though, lotsa upside.
CrimeDog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Grouperman941 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:48 am

How much of a shot would DeJean have of beating out Julio for the job during the season??
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby stumpak » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:56 pm

DeJean has a great shot. Fundamentally, Julio is a crap pitcher. He had a fantastic rookie season in terms of WHIP and ERA, but he was lousy in those areas last year, and I checked out his minor league stats last night--almost invariably a 4+ ERA and 1.30+ WHIP over a long nimor league career. Not what you want from a closer, either fantasy or real life.

I stand by my projection that Julio will either pitch himself out of job or get traded to a contender to serve as a set-up guy after the Oriloes are 20 games behind Boston and New York. The O's are smart enough to realize he is not their long-term solution if they want to morph into a truely competitive team.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:01 pm

I agree that save opps are hard to predict. Look at my crappy Rangers last year. Urbina led the league in saves at the All Star break. Wouldn't think that would you? Lol. :-D

I'd say 35-40 is realistic and what to bank on. 40+ is gravy for having to put up with the era/whip damage.

Someone mentioned that if he got 45 saves, he'd be in Gagne/Smoltz/Wagner territory. No he won't. He doesn't have the stellar whip/era/k numbers to put him in that territory. That would be like someone stealing 55 bases and hitting .240. He wouldn't equate to Pierre or Crawford. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby stabone76 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:14 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:Trying to guess how many save opps someone will get is nearly insane. You might as well have a chimp throw darts at a wall papered in bingo cards. It's luck!

HEY DONT GIVE AWAY MY STRATEGY
stabone76
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers