Jack Cust: For Real? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Jack Cust: For Real?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jack Cust: For Real?

Postby Richie Rich » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:58 am

Just wondering what we think here...Discuss
C:Sandoval 1B:Teixeira 2B:Ramirez 3B:Huff SS:Rollins OF:Crawford OF:Markakis OF:Kemp U:Holliday U:Morneau B: Werth DL: Lowell
SP Billingsley Shields Verlander Lackey Romero Hughes
RP Cordero Bell Bailey Francisco
DL Dempster
Richie Rich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jack Cust: For Real?

Postby ceLpH » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:21 am

are his hot streaks for real? yes

hes extremely streaky but his hot/cold streaks seem to last a pretty long time
http://cashcrate.com/408420

^easy money by filling out referrals and surveys
ceLpH
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pangbones » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:36 am

He knows how to hit HR's, and take BB's, and strike out. I don't know much else about him, but he went nuts and hit 7 HR's in 10 days, then did nothing for about a month, then did nothing again. I think he's worth owning, but don't expect these hot streaks to last very long.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Timosha » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:44 am

Yes he is for real. No offense to anybody who disagrees, but I would not pay much attention to the negative outlook going around. Where are all the people who said he was done a few weeks ago?

His so-called "streaks" happen to most guys who come up: Pitchers adjusted to him and he has now adjusted back, which is exactly what good hitters do. What is a "streak" anyway. Let's stick to stats and facts, not fuzzy words.

...also he didn't play very much this last month.

Look at his AAA stats if you want to know if he's for real. It was not his bat that kept him down there for so long as has been pointed out by many commentators--it was the fact that he could not and still cannot really play defense. He is a DH hitter, which is usually reserved for proven hitters, thus his long tenure in AAA.

Disclaimer: I am not a Cust owner.
Timosha
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Splendid61 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:22 am

Let's stick to stats and facts

Given his propensity to strike out, isn't his BABIP unsustainably high?
Splendid61
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BJSFAN123 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:57 am

He has always been a great power hitter, but never got a chance because he really can't play out in the field too well. His hitting is completely for real, just look at his stats in the minors.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 197)

Postby akula » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:18 am

He is Adam Dunn clone..minus the defense and a better walk rate. He is born to be a DH..yet his contact rate is not very good. so he couldn't really bump more established hitter ahead of him without defense..playing in NL didn't help either, as teams try and hope him to succeed as an OF..
then he finally got traded to AL, while Piazza is out..he got his chance and is trying to live his dream..let's hope he keeps this up, I mean, at least similar numbers to Dunn minus the steals
His 5 tool outlook:
Throw - not very good
Base Running - terrible
Hitting for Power - top echelon
Hitting for Average - not very good
Fielding - not very good
akula
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pangbones » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:02 pm

Timosha wrote:Yes he is for real. No offense to anybody who disagrees, but I would not pay much attention to the negative outlook going around. Where are all the people who said he was done a few weeks ago?

His so-called "streaks" happen to most guys who come up: Pitchers adjusted to him and he has now adjusted back, which is exactly what good hitters do. What is a "streak" anyway. Let's stick to stats and facts, not fuzzy words.

...also he didn't play very much this last month.

Look at his AAA stats if you want to know if he's for real. It was not his bat that kept him down there for so long as has been pointed out by many commentators--it was the fact that he could not and still cannot really play defense. He is a DH hitter, which is usually reserved for proven hitters, thus his long tenure in AAA.

Disclaimer: I am not a Cust owner.

And why was that?? :-?

Could the reason be that he wasn't doing anything?? If he's not hitting HR's, he's not gonna do much of anything else. Like I said before, he's worth owning, but when Piazza comes back, he could be sitting more than not.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)

Postby kbarre » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:51 pm

No offense to the A's group on here, but the Oakland offense is poor. It's lackluster at best. Chavez always heats up post ASB, but they lack on proven stud offensively.

Enter Cust...he's basically Nick Swisher with more pop (less defensive skills). We all know Swisher will drop to around .260 before long, and Swish is also prone to slumps that last a week at a time. So what if Cust can't play defense? Piazza is no spring chicken, and I'm not convinced Cust's numbers wouldn't dwarf Piazza's anyway over the course of the 2nd half.

Why bench him? Dude just goes out and gets 9 RBI's in the last three games and helps bash the brains out of the Yankees. I picked him up during his first hot streak, dropped him at the first sign of derailment, and now have just picked him up again...he'll stay on my roster. The second he hits a HR, he'll go into my lineup for at least 3 days.

Disclaimer: I have Cust, and am 109-61 in a highly competitive12 team Yahoo H2H league. I'm no genius, but the guy is sitting in my starting lineup right now....
kbarre
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ursa » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:33 pm

kbarre wrote:No offense to the A's group on here, but the Oakland offense is poor. It's lackluster at best. Chavez always heats up post ASB, but they lack on proven stud offensively.

Enter Cust...he's basically Nick Swisher with more pop (less defensive skills). We all know Swisher will drop to around .260 before long, and Swish is also prone to slumps that last a week at a time. So what if Cust can't play defense? Piazza is no spring chicken, and I'm not convinced Cust's numbers wouldn't dwarf Piazza's anyway over the course of the 2nd half.

Why bench him? Dude just goes out and gets 9 RBI's in the last three games and helps bash the brains out of the Yankees. I picked him up during his first hot streak, dropped him at the first sign of derailment, and now have just picked him up again...he'll stay on my roster. The second he hits a HR, he'll go into my lineup for at least 3 days.

Disclaimer: I have Cust, and am 109-61 in a highly competitive12 team Yahoo H2H league. I'm no genius, but the guy is sitting in my starting lineup right now....

Good info here, I completely agree. I had Cust first time around, dropped him when he tanked and have been watching him rip the guts out of the Yanks recently. No-one else picked him up off the wire so I did this weekend. I have both Swisher and Glaus in the tank right now so picking up Cust makes good sense.

Before I picked him up, I checked on Piazza and the latest news indicates he's three weeks away yet. Looking at Cust's playing time, he's been a starter every day for over a week and while he's this hot, there's no chance of that changing. If I'd had the wit to pick him up Friday, I'd have won three categories that I lost, turning 4-8 into a 7-5 win.

Lastly, his BA has gone from .268 to .288 in the last week. This just in - 0.288 is a pretty good average for someone with that power. This guy should not be on waivers in deeper leagues.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 24)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates