What is a Good # of Keepers for a League? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is a Good # of Keepers for a League?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jbird669 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:43 pm

We did 3, now do 5, and someday may do 7, but no more than that. 12 dilutes the league and makes things less competitive. You might as well keep your entire team from year to year and not hold a draft. Bring it to them like that and see what they say.
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What is a Good # of Keepers for a League?

Postby stabone76 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:14 pm

ferris182 wrote:I am in a 10 team keeper league and we currently keep 12 players, which in my opinion is way too much. The owners are very weary about reducing the # of keepers for the season.

I am suggesting to keep between 4 and 6 players year year.
I have stated that by reducing the number of keepers this will make each year's draft more valuable and will increase trading.

What points can I make to suggest to the league to reduce the number of keepers?

I think four or 5 isnt enough cause of an owner drafts for the future, its not nice to make him ditch some of his keepers and ruining his strategy, but 12 is too many to let someone rebuild. If someone has a bad team and isnt good at "scouting" then they may NEVER be competitive. I think you have to draft a decent amount of players just to let every team be competitive during the season. I figure that maybe six or seven is perfect, then a team can get a balanced team from year to year by keepers (lets say three pitchers, four hitters) a strong Pitching staff from year to year (if he wants to keep 5 or six pitchers and one or two hitters) Or go with 5 or 6 hitters and one or two pitchers. That is enough that someone can have their own gameplan and have their strategy to win or lose, but enough everyone can be competitive. If someone traded for a good enough team to have an advantage come next season, they should have that advantage. But you should also let all teams be competitive or its just not fun
stabone76
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stabone76 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:18 pm

In other words, to keep it competitve and enjoyable for everyone, 7 is enough for a solid franchise base, but also lets weak teams rebuild

YES. I would try that. I think overall if not everyone is having fun, it may be easier to change
Last edited by stabone76 on Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stabone76
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sreit160 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:50 pm

We keep 3 in our league,and it's based upon where the player was drafted the year before. Basically,you can keep one player from the first 6 rounds.one from 7-12 and one from 13-18. That seems to keep the competetive balance pretty well in regard to talent in the draft and also rewards teams that get a late-round sleeper that turns into a stud.
Sreit160
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby stabone76 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:23 pm

Sreit160 wrote:We keep 3 in our league,and it's based upon where the player was drafted the year before. Basically,you can keep one player from the first 6 rounds.one from 7-12 and one from 13-18. That seems to keep the competetive balance pretty well in regard to talent in the draft and also rewards teams that get a late-round sleeper that turns into a stud.

What is the fun in that, if htat is how you do it, you may as well draft all over. The point of a keeper is to guess who will improve and snatch them a year early
stabone76
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pablo975 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:26 pm

We do 4 batters and 4 pitchers.....course, we're just starting it up, so I'll let ya know if it sucks.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby AuburnTigers » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:17 pm

I would make it as few as possible, probably in the 3-6 range
AuburnTigers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby gagnerules » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:15 am

In my league a manager can keep up to 9 plus 1 rookie keeper. If you keep less than 9 you pick earlier in the suplimental draft. If you fail to keep a rookie its made up at the end of the draft. I personally like having more keepers b/c it adds a wrinkle into the drafting process since not all teams are looking for the same team. Due to the fact that the vast majority of managers are reasonably good it seems to prevent any of the teams from becoming to powerful that they would not suffer from a bad draft.
gagnerules
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby ferris182 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:22 pm

I'll see what I can do. My propsal is going to be 4-6 keepers, which is a decent amount. This league has been going on for a few years now and there are a couple of really good teams.
The owners of the top teams are not really willing to reduce the # of keepers. :-t

What more can I say to the league to reduce the # of keepers?
ferris182
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:36 pm

I'm more in favor of dynasty leagues (keep your entire roster), but there have been some good suggestions for you here.

Only focus on the positives of less keepers. If someone mentions a negative, acknowledge it and try to downplay it as much as possible due to the positives of a smaller keeper list.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers