Which report on Gallardo is real? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Which report on Gallardo is real?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which report on Gallardo is real?

Postby yankscool » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:10 pm

There have been mixed reports on whether Gallardo will go to the pen and pitch long relief, go back down to triple A, or be used as a starter in a 6 pitcher rotation once Capuano is back. Does anyone know which report is legit? thanks...i can't afford to hold onto him if he will only be used in a long relief situation.
yankscool
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Which report on Gallardo is real?

Postby nyrblue2 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:25 pm

I'm afraid I can't give a definite answer because there have been so many different opinions on the situation. However, I have followed the situation closely because I am a Dave Bush owner and he is affected by this as well. As far as I can tell (mostly based on team notes on the Brewers' website), they aren't sure if Gallardo will get one more start before the all-star break. One report syas he is scheduled to open the series against Washington, but another says he isn't scheduled for another start before the break. Either immediately after (or after a couple starts), he will head to the bullpen in order to keep his arm fresh for the end of the year. So it seems as though they will bring him back to the rotation, but only as the year gets closer to the end. The only mention I've heard of the 6-man rotation is up until the all-star break. I have heard nothing to indicate that it will continue after.

As I said, that's my take on it. Sorry I can't be 100% certain, but I don't think anyone can be at this point.
nyrblue2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronxBomber2007 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:56 pm

I dont think anyone but the manager knows for sure....I am sure in his mind he knows that Gallardo is the best of the 4 but there also comes the question of loyalty and the clubhouse reaction. In using him out of the bullpen....yes he keeps his arm fresh but he also loses alot of valuable experience that would be gained in pitching week to week. And also the question of keeping his arm fresh seems somewhat ludicrous because the Gallardo is a kid and his arm hasn't had that much wear and tear on it. I also think it might be a question of economics also in that a strikeout pitcher like Gallardo is a much bigger draw for fans than Caps, Bush or Vargas....people will exclusively come to see him pitch. But in answering your question...I dont have an answer other than hold on to him and hope that there is an off the record pitchoff going on between Bush, Caps and Vargas with Gallardo basically already having a spot in the rotation after the All Star Break....but which one of the 3 pitcher's spot it is would be the unknown.
BronxBomber2007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Morel Orel » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:32 pm

If it's a keeper league, hang on to him.

If it's a redraft, drop him and look for a solid replacement ;-D
My sweet sigs got the boot...
Morel Orel
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dubstar » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:34 am

im usure as well, the only report ive read that says he will start again before the break is that article from the madison paper. the brewers website had an article on 6/30 and it said nothing about the 6 man rotation, and it says gallardo isnt scheduled for another start. im in the same boat wating to see, im starting to think he will not start again before the break.

and bronxbomber2007, as far as keeping his arm fresh, you said it yourself... 'his arm hasnt had that much wear and tear on it', exactly. he hasnt pitched over 150 innings in a season, and if he pitched out the rest of this year he would be near or over 200 probably. that young they need to gradually get his arm up to that amount of innings instead of jumping in one year. just something to consider, i think its a smart move on their part, however shitty for us fantasy owners.
dubstar
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Vladiator » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:46 am

I really don't think a stint in the pen will be so bad. Let's say he pitches 4-6 innings a week in relief; that should mean 5+ K's along with the opportunity to pick up some vulture wins here and there. Only a matter of time before one of the other starters gets hurt or implodes anyway. Like many others have said, it won't be too long before his talent wins out; and at least he'll gain RP eligibility (see Andrew Miller), which is a big plus for teams looking to load up on starters. When he does return to the rotation, he'll be fresh down the stretch, thus making him a big factor in H2H playoffs. I'm sticking with him. ;-D
Vladiator
College Coach
College Coach

Postby poopdungbeatle » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:55 am

heck, i kind of what him in the bullpen for a while.....
I could start him in my SP, get me good ratios, vulture wins, and get holds......
but for playoffs, i want him as a stud SP...
poopdungbeatle
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dubstar » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:43 pm

dubstar
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Rollotommasi » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:28 pm

dubstar wrote:officially to the pen.

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/a ... p&c_id=mil

wow.....this is ridiculous

:-t
Rollotommasi
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dubstar » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:30 pm

Rollotommasi wrote:
dubstar wrote:officially to the pen.

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/a ... p&c_id=mil

wow.....this is ridiculous

:-t

why is it rediculous? sucks for us owners, but a great move for the brewers.
dubstar
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates