Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Next Mr. 3000

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Next Mr. 3000

Postby Tavish » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:44 pm

Shadow of the Sun* wrote:
BennyTheJet wrote:
JoeMoney19 wrote:I bet sizemore eventually does

I agree. He just got 500 hits and he's only 25 years old. He's had at least 185 hits the last two seasons.

Ask Mr. Griffey about predicting records for players at such a young age...

Exactly. You can pretty much say across the board if a player is under 27 right now his chances of making it to 3000 are slim to none. You would be right 99% of the time.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LukeW9027 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:51 pm

I think Miggy Cabrera has a very good chance of getting to 3000. He has 654 hits at the age of 23 not counting this season, and is a perennial contender for 200 hits each season. He is an extremely talented hitter and one of the best 5 in the game IMO. Thats my pick.
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby masarume » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:04 pm

Other than the obvious ones that will do it (ARod)...

Pending on Pujol's real age, I think he has a decent shot at 3000.
masarume

Hockey Mod
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby arod77 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:58 am

Catchers get old fast. I think Pudge might get to 3000 but it's not guaranteed.
Another player is Vlad 1900 at 31.

As far as young players go, I agree that Sizemore, Miguel Cabrera and Jose Reyes but you are forgetting about Carl Crawford. He is a one year older than sizemore but has 170 more hits. He get 185 hits every year.

One more thing I don't understand. Why do people think that Jeter will approach Rose's record and not Arod. Arod is 13 months younger and is only 99 hits behind Jeter.
arod77
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby activechamp2006 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:17 pm

arod77 wrote:Catchers get old fast. I think Pudge might get to 3000 but it's not guaranteed.
Another player is Vlad 1900 at 31.

As far as young players go, I agree that Sizemore, Miguel Cabrera and Jose Reyes but you are forgetting about Carl Crawford. He is a one year older than sizemore but has 170 more hits. He get 185 hits every year.
One more thing I don't understand. Why do people think that Jeter will approach Rose's record and not Arod. Arod is 13 months younger and is only 99 hits behind Jeter.

hmm. Actually Crawford has 397 more hits then Sizemore in his career ;-D

Crawford is another good choice
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:59 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:Didn't Bernie Mac get 3000 hits last season or something? Pretty impressive for an actor.

:-D

I had no idea Pudge actually had a chance to get 3000 hits. ;-D

He never got there. They took like 3 hits away from him.

dillpickle wrote:He is the proto-type leadoff hitter, so he'll stay there and get a lot of at bats. He doesn't walk a lot, so that further increases the number of at bats.

Not necessarily for this argument but isn't that contradictory??

As long as he stays in the NL, my money is on Cole Hamels.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby blankman » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:36 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
dillpickle wrote:He is the proto-type leadoff hitter, so he'll stay there and get a lot of at bats. He doesn't walk a lot, so that further increases the number of at bats.

I don't see how thats contradictory. If he was referring to plate appearances, then yes, but fewer walks will lead to more at bats.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:38 am

blankman wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

I don't see how thats contradictory. If he was referring to plate appearances, then yes, but fewer walks will lead to more at bats.

I think he was saying that it's a little contradictory to say that someone's a "proto-type leadoff hitter" if he doesn't walk a lot, since good leadoff hitters generally walk a fair amount.

As for the 3000 club, another who might make it is Andruw Jones. He's got over 1600 hits at the age of 30. If I had to put my money on it, I'd say that he doesn't get there, but he should have a shot at it. Miggy Tejada is at 1671 at the age of 31.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:40 am

JustAnotherYanksFan wrote:I think he was saying that it's a little contradictory to say that someone's a "proto-type leadoff hitter" if he doesn't walk a lot, since good leadoff hitters generally walk a fair amount.

As for the 3000 club, another who might make it is Andruw Jones. He's got over 1600 hits at the age of 30. If I had to put my money on it, I'd say that he doesn't get there, but he should have a shot at it. Miggy Tejada is at 1671 at the age of 31.

Exactly.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby jfg » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:00 am

I'm kind of looking forward to Bonds getting 3000. Hopefully it will portray him as a pure hitter instead of a juiced home run hitter. Maybe he doesn't deserve it, but he doesn't get enough publicity for how good he is at getting on base. It's pretty amazing that a guy who will break the home run record soon and has been walked a ton in his career is going to get 3000 hits. He has over 1000 more walks than Hank Aaron. If he was pitched to I think he'd be close to breaking the hits record right about now rather than close to 3000.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 95)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers