2007 All-Star Rosters - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2007 All-Star Rosters

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2007 All-Star Rosters

Postby bigken117 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:52 pm

jfg wrote:
Old_Style wrote:Wagner and Papelbon both deserve to be selected to play in this game. Among closers, they have some of the best ERA's and WHIP's in the bigs.

If anything, Fuentes should be off the team and replaced by Ramirez.

Almost 1/3 of the leagues closers are in the all-star game. That's ridiculous. Papelbon and Wagner don't deserve to be there. They may have deserving numbers but that's not good enough this year.

True, Paplebon's been terrible ;-7 What is it about him that doesn't deserve to be an All-Star? Is it the 1.50 ERA, the 42K in 30 IP, or the 0.87 WHIP?

No mention of Youk getting snubbed?
A non-Red Sox? How about Erik Bedard? Only leads the league in K's...

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:56 pm

bigken117 wrote:True, Paplebon's been terrible ;-7 What is it about him that doesn't deserve to be an All-Star? Is it the 1.50 ERA, the 42K in 30 IP, or the 0.87 WHIP?

Nope, the fact that 1/3 of the closers in baseball are in the all-star game. It's too many. No matter how good the closers are you can't have 1/3 of them in the all-star game to sit in the bullpen. Papelbon is having a great year, maybe it should be KRod that got cut or somebody else. Not Jenks because the's the White Sox rep. But there are way too many closers in this game.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby WC » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:59 pm

How do Wagner and Papelbon not deserve to be there?

More importantly, how can you complain about Wagner and not Fuentes, Valverde (being a good fantasy closer does not make you an all star), and even F-Cordero, who may deserve it but who's ERA somehow went through the roof since the last time I checked?

Fuentes and Valverde should be out, Snell should replace Sanchez for the pirates, and a couple starters who have better ERAs than those guys like Young and Maine should be put in.

And if you must have another reliever, Izzy deserves it over those three.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=304256
Let's Go Bacon Pants!
WC
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigken117 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:05 pm

jfg wrote:
bigken117 wrote:True, Paplebon's been terrible ;-7 What is it about him that doesn't deserve to be an All-Star? Is it the 1.50 ERA, the 42K in 30 IP, or the 0.87 WHIP?

Nope, the fact that 1/3 of the closers in baseball are in the all-star game. It's too many. No matter how good the closers are you can't have 1/3 of them in the all-star game to sit in the bullpen. Papelbon is having a great year, maybe it should be KRod that got cut or somebody else. Not Jenks because the's the White Sox rep. But there are way too many closers in this game.

I see then, but
You say 1/3 like it's a large number, but it's only 4 closers that are going. I would bet managers prefer having more natural RP in their pen for the ASG since that's the routine (coming from the pen albeit not closing) a guy is used to instead of a starter trying to stretch himself out for the 8th inning or something. If it's close and Leyland needs a dominant inning, he's going to warm up Paps or KRod, not CC or Meche.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:19 pm

*If* you're taking the game seriously and really trying to win for home field advantage, taking on a ton of closers is not such a bad thing. It may not be sexy but these guys are a better prepared for that game than most of the SP.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:38 pm

5 Tigers and a serious case can be made that Sheffield was snubbed - I like it. ;-D

And how can someone seriously say that Polanco shouldnt have made it? Give me a break - the guy is hitting at or near the top of the league with RISP, he leads the league in K/AB, and he hasent made an error all yr. This isnt the fantasy baseball all star game - so what if Polly doesnt hit the longball? It isnt all about fantasy stats.

Oh yeah - considering Bonderman has a good chance to be voted in through the online backdoor, we could put 6 in the AS game.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Scooter1027 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:41 pm

jfg wrote:
AllStar215 wrote:I think Bengie Molina has something to say about that :-?

Barely...I guess the 25 point higher batting average seals the deal as the "#2", but his stats don't make him all-star worthy either. McCann's 2006 second half has to play into the equation. Again, he was honored last year so there isn't anything to make-up but in this case it's choosing between two guys who both don't really deserve it.

To me, the #2 catcher in the NL came down to 3 nearly equal choices:

MIL Johnny Estrada .285, 7 HR, 33 RBI, .735 OPS
ATL Brian McCann .261, 7 HR, 41 RBI, .739 OPS
SFG Bengie Molina .286, 7 HR, 41 RBI, .733 OPS

As you can see, none of them are overwhelming. The Brewers probably didn't need a 5th representative, and Molina has the lowest OPS despite the highest AVG. I guess McCann's the choice, but it's hard to say.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby acsguitar » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:47 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:5 Tigers and a serious case can be made that Sheffield was snubbed - I like it. ;-D

And how can someone seriously say that Polanco shouldnt have made it? Give me a break - the guy is hitting at or near the top of the league with RISP, he leads the league in K/AB, and he hasent made an error all yr. This isnt the fantasy baseball all star game - so what if Polly doesnt hit the longball? It isnt all about fantasy stats.

Oh yeah - considering Bonderman has a good chance to be voted in through the online backdoor, we could put 6 in the AS game.

I love that you still use that sig. One of my favorites that I made ;-D

Anyways, Holliday is a better start then Beltran and Bonds IMO but at least he made it
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby smoovethug » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:45 pm

It disgusts me that Matt Holliday isn't a starter. Freddy Sanchez over Snell or Gorzelanny? :-? I'd like to see Jimmy Rollins on there somehow but I'm not too worked up over it, alot of NL shortstops are having nice years.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Ender » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:42 am

Not selecting Maine is a sign of smart voters has he's been so damn lucky to have under a 4 era, Young not making the team is criminal though.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers