Yahoo H2H daily transaction league question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo H2H daily transaction league question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo H2H daily transaction league question

Postby swoosh3esq » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:12 pm

Looking for some suggestions on how to modify our yahoo 8 x 7 league. We like to have daily transactions, but several owners basically punt on pitching, then add and drop pitchers so they have 3-5 pitchers starting everyday. (we don't have any max innings pitched) This usually guarantees them two pitching categories, and chances to win a couple others. On top of that, they have the premeir offenses because they draft hitters until the late rounds.

So my question is, how can we modify the yahoo league to prevent the pitcher flexing, but still keep the daily transactions. I've heard that you can't do a max starts on yahoo. Not sure about max innings and if so what to set that at?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
swoosh3esq
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:28 pm

you absolutely can set up max innings and games played on Yahoo. Simply limit the number of innings pitched, and you will solve the waiver wire problem you are having.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby trevisc » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:45 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:you absolutely can set up max innings and games played on Yahoo. Simply limit the number of innings pitched, and you will solve the waiver wire problem you are having.

;-D
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Your league...

Postby Spokes » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:14 pm

If you don't want to put in inning maximums and stop people from cheaply picking up pitchers day after day just for their points on that one day, you can do what my leagues have been doing for the last few years and have your commish of the league punish that person's team somehow. I would first vote on this issue in the league and see if the other players agree that if they add and drop pitchers cheaply just for their one day's worth of points, the commish can then hold the power to punish a team. Penalties can go from something small like benching a team's pitching for a day or something like benching their whole team for a few days to a week or prohibit them from making any pickups for 10 days (2 things that the league's I have been in have actually done). Of course, the pentalties would all matter on the severity of the offense. If a player picks up and drops one pitcher for one day, you could probably just let them off with a warning and then maybe have the commish bench a few of his hitters for the day. If the same person does it numerous times, especially day after day, then have the commish bench his whole team for like 4 days. Also, the severity of the penaties should be voted upon by the league. It's very democratic. What do you think about that idea? My leagues have used it and it has worked out very well.
The best lyric ever: "You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you gotta glass jaw you should watch your mouth...'cause I'll break yo face."
Spokes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Your league...

Postby tlef316 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:19 pm

Spokes wrote:If you don't want to put in inning maximums and stop people from cheaply picking up pitchers day after day just for their points on that one day, you can do what my leagues have been doing for the last few years and have your commish of the league punish that person's team somehow. I would first vote on this issue in the league and see if the other players agree that if they add and drop pitchers cheaply just for their one day's worth of points, the commish can then hold the power to punish a team. Penalties can go from something small like benching a team's pitching for a day or something like benching their whole team for a few days to a week or prohibit them from making any pickups for 10 days (2 things that the league's I have been in have actually done). Of course, the pentalties would all matter on the severity of the offense. If a player picks up and drops one pitcher for one day, you could probably just let them off with a warning and then maybe have the commish bench a few of his hitters for the day. If the same person does it numerous times, especially day after day, then have the commish bench his whole team for like 4 days. Also, the severity of the penaties should be voted upon by the league. It's very democratic. What do you think about that idea? My leagues have used it and it has worked out very well.

i have to tell you. if someone did that to me, i would not be very happy. why should somebody be punished for playing by the rules?there should certainly be a max innings pitched, but just because you forgot to put one in doesnt give you the right to sabotage people who choose to take advantage. if a commish of one of my leagues messed with my team without asking id give serious thought to quiting the league.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: Your league...

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:36 pm

tlef316 wrote:i have to tell you. if someone did that to me, i would not be very happy. why should somebody be punished for playing by the rules?there should certainly be a max innings pitched, but just because you forgot to put one in doesnt give you the right to sabotage people who choose to take advantage. if a commish of one of my leagues messed with my team without asking id give serious thought to quiting the league.

couldnt agree more. I will play by the rules set forth, and by nature, I will look for ways to exploit them. If a commish hasent had the foresight to see the flaws in his leagues setup, too bad. You make the rules, I play by them. Dont change them mid stream or by the leagues whims once the league has started. Adding subjectivity to rules opens all sorts of black holes.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Once again...

Postby Spokes » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:18 pm

We set those rules because we think that picking a pitcher up just for one day, just to get his points for that day before dropping him the next day just seems cheap to us. It ruins the integrity of the game. That's just my take on it. If you don't like it, I could care less.
The best lyric ever: "You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you gotta glass jaw you should watch your mouth...'cause I'll break yo face."
Spokes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Once again...

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:30 pm

Spokes wrote:We set those rules because we think that picking a pitcher up just for one day, just to get his points for that day before dropping him the next day just seems cheap to us. It ruins the integrity of the game. That's just my take on it. If you don't like it, I could care less.

I couldnt agree more. Its a ridiculous way to play - simply silly. I was just stating that I play by the rules set forth, and there are a lot of leagues that do not have safeguards in place to protect the league from that type of abuse. This is one of many reason I dont play in private leagues on Yahoo.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:31 pm

an innings pitched max and min or max starts would be a good idea. another thing you can do (as long as everone else agrees) is modify the pitching categories a little bit. use strikeouts/9, fewest walks/9, fewest home runs allowed and other categories that emphasize quality over quantity. when you do that you need to make sure there is a minumum innings pitched/starts as well.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby swoosh3esq » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:55 am

I agree that we need to set up either max innings or max starts. I was under the impression from our commish that we could not limit max starts on yahoo. If we set up max innings, what kind of number should we use. Can we set it up as weekly max innings, or only max innings for the year. If we can limit the number of starts, what would be a good number to limit them to?
Thanks.
swoosh3esq
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers