izzy/percival - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

izzy/percival

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: izzy/percival

Postby dubstar » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:48 am

JeebusMcC wrote:In all fairness, it is kind of ridiculous to cite something from the beginning of the year when the present day situations are completely different. At the beginning of the year, the Reds, Brewers, and Giants were saying there was no reason to think Bailey, Gallardo, or Lincecum would be called up right away this year, but here we all are, wondering who we are supposed to drop for them.

At the beginning of the year, the Rangers were the laughing stock of the league for giving Sammy Sosa a minor league contract...hey, how many homeruns does he have again?

again, i didnt think it was concrete what they said. i was just curious of the roles now that they signed percival. what they said wasnt the only reason i was asking.
dubstar
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wildbill » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:38 pm

dubstar wrote:good for you, im glad it took you only 2 mins to research that. how long did it take you to come up with your smartass comments? this is a help forum, i asked a simple question about what the roles would be since they acquired percival.

Actually you asked 2 questions. You were looking for opinions, and I gave mine. Like I said, I've heard/read no indications in the news anywhere that Percival is any kind of realistic threat to Izzy.

I've said it already but I think your 2nd question was perfectly valid, just not for the reason your presented in your first question. Have you acknowledged that I gave you props for the 2nd question but still answered both with honest opinions? Nope. Do you think I really would have bothered answering honestly and sincerely or botherd with research if I was just trying to be a "smartass"? My first post about sniffing glue was a joke. I thought was a rather obvious one at that because there was nothing else in that reply that was being a "smartass."

My second response had a bit of an agitated tone due to unappreciative replys. The 2 minute thing on the innings pitched was just to illustrate that the information was not hard to find with minimal effort. I guess you could call it a pet peave of mine when someone says something like your quote from the beginning of the season when they could figure it out themseleves with very little time and effort on their part. Regardless, I still gave you a good thought out, honest, and researched opinion. Instead of a thanks for an honest answer you decided to rip my head off with a personal attack complete with name calling.

Should I sugar coat it next time? (yeah that ones a joke too). But seriosuly, do you NOT want honest opinions?
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dubstar » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:57 pm

wildbill wrote:
dubstar wrote:good for you, im glad it took you only 2 mins to research that. how long did it take you to come up with your smartass comments? this is a help forum, i asked a simple question about what the roles would be since they acquired percival.

Actually you asked 2 questions. You were looking for opinions, and I gave mine. Like I said, I've heard/read no indications in the news anywhere that Percival is any kind of realistic threat to Izzy.

I've said it already but I think your 2nd question was perfectly valid, just not for the reason your presented in your first question. Have you acknowledged that I gave you props for the 2nd question but still answered both with honest opinions? Nope. Do you think I really would have bothered answering honestly and sincerely or botherd with research if I was just trying to be a "smartass"? My first post about sniffing glue was a joke. I thought was a rather obvious one at that because there was nothing else in that reply that was being a "smartass."

My second response had a bit of an agitated tone due to unappreciative replys. The 2 minute thing on the innings pitched was just to illustrate that the information was not hard to find with minimal effort. I guess you could call it a pet peave of mine when someone says something like your quote from the beginning of the season when they could figure it out themseleves with very little time and effort on their part. Regardless, I still gave you a good thought out, honest, and researched opinion. Instead of a thanks for an honest answer you decided to rip my head off with a personal attack complete with name calling.

Should I sugar coat it next time? (yeah that ones a joke too). But seriosuly, do you NOT want honest opinions?

yea i hear ya man, i should have taken it as a joke. and i do want honest opinions, to me your response kinda came off as a 'you are stupid for asking these questions, isnt it obvious?'. but its all good, i appreciate the input, you did give a full response, and i appologize for the 'smartass' comment. its kind of hard to tell sometimes the tone of a writen message. thanks again for the input.
dubstar
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby wildbill » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:31 pm

Well if you read some of my other posts you'll see I like to joke a lot, with Charlie Manuel being a favorite target. That man really is off his rocker. I also generally tell it like I see it, which sometimes means not always in the most PC way, its nothing personal, just the way I am. The way I see it if you take fantasy sports too seriously you really will drive yourself or those around you nuts. I know, I've been there before.

On another note I didn't mention it, but I have Izzy on my team and at least for now I have no plans to trade him for the various reasons stated before. However, with 3 active closers and 2 on the DL he could be fairly high value trade bait at some point because I don't really need 5 closers.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Mighty Trow » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:22 pm

Can someone flesh out the setup situation for the Cardinals? I'm not familiar with their depth chart.

If Percival keeps up his current pace, or returns to something like his old form, could he be a viable option in a league that counts holds? Or will he be more of a long relief option?
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby wildbill » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:39 pm

The Mighty Trow wrote:Can someone flesh out the setup situation for the Cardinals? I'm not familiar with their depth chart.

If Percival keeps up his current pace, or returns to something like his old form, could he be a viable option in a league that counts holds? Or will he be more of a long relief option?
I'm just going on memory at the moment, but I think Ryan Franklin has been one of the key setup men for part of the season and I think Brad? Thompson has been another. Given that I wouldn't be surprised if Percival quickly became St Louis top setup man if he pitches anything close to what he did before he left baseball a few years ago. I would guess that before long he could be a decent source for holds (Izzy has only had 16 save ops) with good numbers in other categories.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:17 am

I think he'll end up in a setup role. At worst he'll be a 6th/7th inning guy. He wouldn't come back to pitch to be a mop-up man.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates