izzy/percival - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

izzy/percival

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

izzy/percival

Postby dubstar » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:50 pm

are they going to start splitting the closing role qhwn percival comes back? is it the right time to try to trade izzy?
dubstar
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: izzy/percival

Postby wildbill » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:13 pm

dubstar wrote:are they going to start splitting the closing role qhwn percival comes back? is it the right time to try to trade izzy?

Have you been sniffing glue again? Percival hasn't pitched at the major league level or any level the last few years. Izzy has been one of the most dominate closers in baseball this year (ERA under 2, WHIP under 1). The only way Percival gets a chance to close is if Izzy gets hurt or gets traded. I wouldn't even bank on Percival being next in line at this point.

As for trading Izzy, he probably won't finish with an ERA under 2 or a WHIP under 1, but an ERA in the low 2s and WHIP in sub 1.10 range would not be shocking based on his track record. He might be a bit of a sell high, but not an extreme sell high and no, Percival has no effect on his value in the foreseeable future.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dubstar » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:10 pm

yea ive been sniffing glue.....

i ask since they percival is a closer. they said at the beginning of the year they would limit izzys innings some. so i think the question is valid.
dubstar
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Y`s Guy » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:19 pm

Not a dumb question. Here something to read...

Izzy and Troy
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 276)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby avstars » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:40 pm

Issy has been putting great numbers this season so unless he turns into Fruentes-like or he gets injured, I don't think he's in any danger of lossing his job. Why change when things are working out well?
avstars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dubstar » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:54 pm

Y`s Guy wrote:Not a dumb question. Here something to read...

Izzy and Troy

thanks for the link man!
dubstar
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dubstar » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:55 pm

avstars wrote:Issy has been putting great numbers this season so unless he turns into Fruentes-like or he gets injured, I don't think he's in any danger of lossing his job. Why change when things are working out well?

i agree, but dumber moves have gone down in the league. so you never know whats brewin.
dubstar
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wildbill » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:05 pm

dubstar wrote:they said at the beginning of the year they would limit izzys innings some. so i think the question is valid.
Key words there are "the beginning of the year." Do you really think that applies half way through the season when Izzy has been just fine healthwise? Izzy's had a comparible workload in IP to that of other closers. For example (not counting todays games), so far IP: Izzy = 32 1/3, FRod = 34 1/3. Todd Jones = 31 1/3. Does it look like Izzy's had his innings limited? FYI, it took me less than 2 minutes to research that.

Izzy and Troy
First of all a Vince McMahon reference in a baseball article? Wow! Pretty much tells you there that the first 2 paragraphs were not written with a serious tone. From there the article basically says the same thing I did, that barring an Izzy injury there's no chance Izzy is loosing his job to Percival any time soon. 2 BS in half a season with an 87.5% successful conversion rate are pretty good numbers. There's nothing I see in that article suggests anything different from what I said. Remember the Cards have a competant manager. We're not dealing with a brain dead manager like Charlie Manuel.

Also there were 2 questions asked, not 1. The first seems crazy to me given the evidence at hand with no serious mentions to the contrary in the media. The second question is perfectly valid and I gave my answer for that one too. The idea of trading Izzy is not crazy. Trading him because you are afraid of Percival is crazy IMO. If you're going to trade him do so because he's a bit of a sell high. As I said I don't think his ERA and WHIP will stay quite as good as they are now but there's no reason to believe they won't remain very good. Another possible reason to trade him is if you think the Cards will trade him. However as I've said being afraid of Percival taking Izzy's job just because he's Percival is crazy. That is not LaRussa's style, he tends to be very loyal to his players like another smart manager, Jim Leyland. If this were the Phillies then I'd say its a valid concern because Charlie Manuel is nuts.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dubstar » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:26 am

wildbill wrote:
dubstar wrote:they said at the beginning of the year they would limit izzys innings some. so i think the question is valid.
Key words there are "the beginning of the year." Do you really think that applies half way through the season when Izzy has been just fine healthwise? Izzy's had a comparible workload in IP to that of other closers. For example (not counting todays games), so far IP: Izzy = 32 1/3, FRod = 34 1/3. Todd Jones = 31 1/3. Does it look like Izzy's had his innings limited? FYI, it took me less than 2 minutes to research that.

Izzy and Troy
First of all a Vince McMahon reference in a baseball article? Wow! Pretty much tells you there that the first 2 paragraphs were not written with a serious tone. From there the article basically says the same thing I did, that barring an Izzy injury there's no chance Izzy is loosing his job to Percival any time soon. 2 BS in half a season with an 87.5% successful conversion rate are pretty good numbers. There's nothing I see in that article suggests anything different from what I said. Remember the Cards have a competant manager. We're not dealing with a brain dead manager like Charlie Manuel.

Also there were 2 questions asked, not 1. The first seems crazy to me given the evidence at hand with no serious mentions to the contrary in the media. The second question is perfectly valid and I gave my answer for that one too. The idea of trading Izzy is not crazy. Trading him because you are afraid of Percival is crazy IMO. If you're going to trade him do so because he's a bit of a sell high. As I said I don't think his ERA and WHIP will stay quite as good as they are now but there's no reason to believe they won't remain very good. Another possible reason to trade him is if you think the Cards will trade him. However as I've said being afraid of Percival taking Izzy's job just because he's Percival is crazy. That is not LaRussa's style, he tends to be very loyal to his players like another smart manager, Jim Leyland. If this were the Phillies then I'd say its a valid concern because Charlie Manuel is nuts.

good for you, im glad it took you only 2 mins to research that. how long did it take you to come up with your smartass comments?
this is a help forum, i asked a simple question about what the roles would be since they acquired percival.

thanks to the other 2 for just answering my question.
dubstar
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JeebusMcC » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:15 am

In all fairness, it is kind of ridiculous to cite something from the beginning of the year when the present day situations are completely different. At the beginning of the year, the Reds, Brewers, and Giants were saying there was no reason to think Bailey, Gallardo, or Lincecum would be called up right away this year, but here we all are, wondering who we are supposed to drop for them.

At the beginning of the year, the Rangers were the laughing stock of the league for giving Sammy Sosa a minor league contract...hey, how many homeruns does he have again?
JeebusMcC
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates