Time to drop Burnett? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Time to drop Burnett?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Time to drop Burnett?

Postby schmidty » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:20 pm

I had him on 2 teams, both with no room on the DL. Instant drop, and I didn't have to think hard about it. Aside from the K's, he's a marginal pitcher. And he really is the "DL Queen". But stash him if you have the DL space - why some managers drop DLed players when they have DL space is simply beyond me (at least as long as their season isn't officially proclaimed over).
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby converge241 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:02 am

OAKLAND -- John Gibbons did his best to play the role of optimist, but the news regarding A.J. Burnett's shoulder injury was worse than Toronto's manager led on. Gibbons tried to make light of the pitcher's latest trip to the disabled list, but the doctor's report read differently.
"He's on the DL," said Gibbons, sitting in the visitor's dugout at McAfee Coliseum prior to Monday's game against Oakland. "So, he'll be missing for at least 15 days."

The truth of the matter is that Burnett will be out of Toronto's rotation for at least three or four weeks. On Sunday, the right-hander flew to Birmingham, Ala., where Dr. James Andrews examined Burnett's ailing shoulder. Burnett received a cortisone shot for what Gibbons said was "a strain with some impingement."

The Blue Jays have decided to shut Burnett down for the next seven days before having him begin a throwing program. Then, after he builds up the strength in his arm again, the 30-year-old Burnett will need to make at least one or two Minor League rehabilitation starts before rejoining Toronto's rotation.

"We'll see how he responds," Gibbons said.

Gibbons added that Andrews "didn't find anything significant," and Burnett didn't need to undergo an MRI while meeting with the doctor. More than anything, Toronto's manager said the time off was merely a precaution for Burnett, who first had the shoulder issue flare up during his June 12 start against the Giants.

During that outing, Burnett left the game in the fifth inning after feeling pain in his throwing shoulder. Toronto placed him on the DL the next day, but he was activated for a start against the Twins on Saturday. In Minnesota, Burnett experienced a noticeable drop-off in velocity, which was a sign that his shoulder hadn't completely recovered.

He was placed on the 15-day DL again on Sunday, marking the 10th time in nine seasons that he's landed on the list. Burnett, who signed a five-year deal worth $55 million with Toronto two winters ago, is 5-6 with a 4.31 ERA this season.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby Sunspot » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:44 am

That is as good of news as we could have hoped for. If he can just come back and have a few good games, I will trade him then. He always fools me into keeping him, but I won't let him do it to me again, the minute he looks good again, he is gone. Trading him for a horse. I'll find some sucker in my league!
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby charliebrown2 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:59 am

out 3 to 4 weeks? I'm dropping him.
charliebrown2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tf77 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:37 pm

I think this is actually good news. Seems like they are not rushing him back this time and maybe they will even watch his pitch counts from here on out. Gives me some hope he might be able to avoid the DL for the rest of the year
tf77
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Danger » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:08 pm

I'll have to agree and say this is as good of news as it gets from the grim reaper Andrews. I'm glad they're being cautious with AJ. I'll continue to hang onto him unless my team is suddenly in dire need of SP.
Danger
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates