Time to drop Burnett? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Time to drop Burnett?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Time to drop Burnett?

Postby poopdungbeatle » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:52 pm

look at my freakin sig. It tells the truth. He is the "DL Queen"!
I own him.....i dont know what to do with him. Im in a 20 team league, cant drop. Do i trade him for a stud MR guy since my league counts holds? maybe.....ahhhhhh!
poopdungbeatle
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronxBomber2007 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:01 pm

I understand your frustration but that is why you have reserve pitchers....you can dump him for the waiver wire flavor of the week pitcher....but how many starts will you get out of him in 15 days? Will that pitcher you pickup be any better than the reserve pitchers that you could of started who are on your bench? If you do drop him....someone like me will be waiting to snatch him up and wait the 15 days until he returns....and all it will cost me is the worst player on my team. If you have a competitive team and expect to make the playoffs....that is when you should hope he is healthy.
BronxBomber2007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Vladiator » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:35 pm

From Yahoo:

Jul 1 The Blue Jays have placed Burnett on the 15-day disabled list with a right shoulder strain.

Recommendation: Burnett, whose velocity was down in his recent return from the DL, is slated to visit Dr. James Andrews, the Toronto Star reports. Obviously that's a red flag, as Andrews is often the bearer of bad news for sore-armed pitchers.

Dr. James Andrews = :-o
Vladiator
College Coach
College Coach

Postby poopdungbeatle » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:53 am

Vladiator wrote:From Yahoo:

Jul 1 The Blue Jays have placed Burnett on the 15-day disabled list with a right shoulder strain.

Recommendation: Burnett, whose velocity was down in his recent return from the DL, is slated to visit Dr. James Andrews, the Toronto Star reports. Obviously that's a red flag, as Andrews is often the bearer of bad news for sore-armed pitchers.

Dr. James Andrews = :-o

%-6 :-P :~( :-t !+) X-I :-o

Dr Andrews usually only says three words to pitchers!...."your season's over"....
poopdungbeatle
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby stonecoldgreek » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:43 am

this is on sporting news: The Blue Jays placed Burnett on the 15-day DL with persistent shoulder pain. He is scheduled to meet with Dr. James Andrews. It is the 10th DL trip in nine seasons for Burnett.
Fantasy Source spin: He wouldn't meet with Dr. Andrews if there weren't serious concerns about the injury. We'll update you when we know more. Speaking as a Burnett owner, I don't expect good news. (Eric Ferguson/SN)
stonecoldgreek
College Coach
College Coach

Postby superslugger616 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:49 am

stonecoldgreek wrote:this is on sporting news: The Blue Jays placed Burnett on the 15-day DL with persistent shoulder pain. He is scheduled to meet with Dr. James Andrews. It is the 10th DL trip in nine seasons for Burnett.
Fantasy Source spin: He wouldn't meet with Dr. Andrews if there weren't serious concerns about the injury. We'll update you when we know more. Speaking as a Burnett owner, I don't expect good news. (Eric Ferguson/SN)

dammit, i hate owning constantly injured pitchers
superslugger616
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Danger » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:05 am

Dr. Andrews is never a good sign. However, unless it's confirmed he'll be missing more than a month of action I'll be holding onto him. His potential to be a mini Dice-K is just too good to ignore.
Danger
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Vladiator » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:42 am

I do agree that it's probably best to hang onto him in deeper leagues until the final outcome is known, although I personally wasn't willing to take the risk any longer given what I've seen. I could absolutely be wrong and end up regretting it, but Dr. Andrews is what did it for me.

This is only speculation on my part, but the first major red flag was his tantrum after getting pulled last week. To me, that indicates a stubborn player refusing to admit he's injured. Hell, I did the same thing back when I was wrestling in college, and ended up having to get my neck fused as a result. My gut feeling is that Burnett is trying to downplay something serious because he can't believe it's happening to him again. I feel extremely bad for him, and hope that he can resume his career without further injury. He really is a very good pitcher when healthy. :-/
Vladiator
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RedSoxdominate » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:02 pm

I'll be holding onto Burnett at least until we hear more just cause of his nasty K rates. Then again, my pitching sucks.
RedSoxdominate
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ShawshankVA » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:20 pm

uh oh...Dr. Andrews...heres where i expect a repeat of the jerkaround Toronto did over BJ Ryan earlier in year. AJ will come back from Dr. Andrews with news that he doesnt need surgery...a month later, seemingly on target to return, we'll all get news that he had surgery anyway...

Toronto is absolutely HORRIBLE when it comes to updates on thier pitchers...i mean outright LYING about BJ during spring, saying it was his back when they knew it was his elbow all along...i will seriously never own a Toronto pitcher again...that team ruins good arms, then lies to cover it up.
ShawshankVA
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates