Who Should I Take? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who Should I Take?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who Should I Take?

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:43 pm

My draft is coming up. The keepers on my team with their 2002 stats are:

Nate Cornejo age 24 - 17 losses 4.67 ERA (struck out 46 while giving up 58 BB and 236 hits in 194 IP but I think that he's got the right stuff)

Mike Maroth age 26 - 21 losses 5.10 ERA (being the biggest loser since Mickey Lolich in 1974 has driven him into therapy but I think that he'll bounce back just fine)

Jeremy Bonderman age 21 - 19 losses 5.56 ERA (presently on Prozac and having seizures every time he thinks about pitching, but the prognosis is good)

I think my pitching is just peachy - so I was thinking about using my first round draft pick on a veteran catcher - Pudge is available. What do you think, is that a good move?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jbird669 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:58 pm

U kept those guys? Why? Two of them are Tigers!!! If those are your keepers, no offense, but your pitching sucks!! Who else is available besides Pudge?
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:00 pm

Not sure what you are asking here, Mook, but Bonderman will have the best yr from the 3 you mentioned. Also, looking at last yrs %s isnt gonna help you much. With a defense behind them this yr and a hall of fame C behind the plate, Its pretty safe to assume that all 3 of those pitchers will have better yrs than last yr.

I hope this wasnt some subtle attempt to make fun of the Tigers SPs. They are better than last yrs numbers show.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:45 pm

jbird669 wrote:U kept those guys? Why? Two of them are Tigers!!! If those are your keepers, no offense, but your pitching sucks!! Who else is available besides Pudge?

exactly
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby trevisc » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:47 pm

I agree..I'd look for a pitcher....

not a hitter
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby LBJackal » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:51 pm

I'm pretty sure he's mocking the Tigers' young pitchers. Otherwise:

a) He wouldn't be considering keeping anyone but Bonderman
b) This would be posted in the trade/keeper forum

Bonderman actually has a future, and Detroit is actually looking decent this year. If you wanted to mock them, last year was the time. They'll be much improved this season.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:55 pm

im still not sure of the point of this Mook.
Im gonna say you didnt really keep those 3 pitchers, but this was a veiled attempt at taking a swipe at our pitching. Am I right?

Lets talk about it. Are you really gonna right off these guys because they played for Detroit even though you know the situation this yr is completely different than last yr?

That seems short sighted to me.

All three had decent minor numbers before getting called up too early, and other than psychologically (which may or may not be a real problem - it could have made them tougher), are they worse pitchers this yr?

In your opinion, how much emphasis should be placed on a SPs situation? What if he has a terrible defense behind him? What if his offense gives him little run support? What about stadiums - do they have an impact? How about experience in the majors - do pitchers ever get better through experience?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bo Knows » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:58 pm

love the quotes in your guys signatures.

Especially, the Disraeli one. I have a feeling that most league winners are the guys who only use statistics for second opinions, going with game knowledge and gut instincts first.

That Twain quote is cool, too.

But, in this thread the winner is that Ruth quote. Man, that is funny, and so TRUE.

As for the topic of this thread....WHAT? I don't get it, you're in a keeper league and those are the pitchers you kept?
Bo Knows
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Re: Who Should I Take?

Postby kentx12 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:58 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:My draft is coming up. The keepers on my team with their 2002 stats are:

Nate Cornejo age 24 - 17 losses 4.67 ERA (struck out 46 while giving up 58 BB and 236 hits in 194 IP but I think that he's got the right stuff)

Mike Maroth age 26 - 21 losses 5.10 ERA (being the biggest loser since Mickey Lolich in 1974 has driven him into therapy but I think that he'll bounce back just fine)

Jeremy Bonderman age 21 - 19 losses 5.56 ERA (presently on Prozac and having seizures every time he thinks about pitching, but the prognosis is good)

I think my pitching is just peachy - so I was thinking about using my first round draft pick on a veteran catcher - Pudge is available. What do you think, is that a good move?

:-? :,-(
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:01 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Not sure what you are asking here, Mook, but Bonderman will have the best yr from the 3 you mentioned. Also, looking at last yrs %s isnt gonna help you much. With a defense behind them this yr and a hall of fame C behind the plate, Its pretty safe to assume that all 3 of those pitchers will have better yrs than last yr.

I hope this wasnt some subtle attempt to make fun of the Tigers SPs. They are better than last yrs numbers show.

I'm not making fun of the Tigers Cornbread (at least I didn't think that I was being subtle). I've just read the posts from all of the Tiger fans defending this signing.

With pitching like the Tigers have, the spending of $40M on Pudge is irresponsible in the extreme. If I was a Tiger's fan I'd be pissed off.

That is a pitchers park (25th in runs per game, 24 in HR per game and 27 in BA) and these kids are getting the crap knocked out of them. Why not admit that they should not be out there. They should have been in the minors last year honing their craft and brought along slowly.

Conejo was absolutely shelled during preseaon last year but he still started 32 games and pitched just under 200 innings.

They are wasting good young arms when they could spend a little on pitching until these kids learn what they are doing.

Please do not try to argue that Pudge will help the pitching.

Pudge could help the pitching by giving the $40 M back so that the Tigers could get Batista, Tomko, Stephenson, Rogers, Quantrill etc. to eat some innings until these kids are ready. Ask the Rangers how much A-Rod helped their pitching.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers