Wouldn't it be weird to see the Yankees selling? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wouldn't it be weird to see the Yankees selling?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Wouldn't it be weird to see the Yankees selling?

Postby blankman » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:36 pm

Noggy wrote:Matsui - I highly doubt he gets moved. Besides having a full no trade clause, he's been the least of the Yankees problems this year. Not to mention I'm sure he generates a good amount of money for the team (notice those Japanese ads in left field at the Stadium?)

The least of their problems? He's a guy they expect .290 20 100 from and instead he's been horrible. He's terrible in the field too. He's a huge problem. The yen will keep him there, but he shouldn't get a free pass.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Noggy » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:22 pm

Matsui was hitting .298/.380/.480 on June 17th. Two bad weeks now now he's horrible? I know his defense isn't the greatest, but LF is not a position you trade offense for better defense.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby OgreBallz » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:54 pm

I am really curious to see what they do, Cashman says they are staying "pat" but they have a real bad tendency of buying something new...lol
OgreBallz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:10 pm

The team is old. Jason Giambi got hurt early on and there’s no telling when he’ll be back. Johnny Damon is hurt constantly and can’t play center field every night. When he does play, his arm is terrible. Cabrera, Cairo and Phillips are bench players. The team doesn’t have a back-up catcher who can hit Kate Moss’ weight. Middle relief has lately been awful. Did I mention that Jorge Posada has only a year or two left catching five games a week?

I doubt the Yankees will trade A-Rod, if only because that would signal surrender, and the Yankees never surrender. There’s something admirable in that. But the team has been sinking slowly but surely over seven seasons now. At some point, major rebuilding is necessary, and they’ve reached it.

...They used to be the best team money could buy. Now, they’re the summer version of the Knicks: Never have so many been paid so much to do so little.

Trade A-Rod. Fire Joe Torre. It doesn’t matter, not this year. This team is finished.

MSNBC | FULL STORY
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Pirates4Life » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:31 pm

For those who think the Yankees have a realistic shot at the playoffs right now, consider this:

The wild card team right now is the Tigers, who are 47-33 (.588 winning percentage). At that pace, they end up with 48 more wins this year for a final record of 95-67.

Want to assume that winning percentage drops down to .550? Fine, they end up with 92 wins. Even further, what if they drop to being a .500 team from here on out? LOL, obviously they wouldn't end up being the wild card team in that case, but they'd still end up with 88 wins.

For the Yankees to even get to 88 wins, they have to go 48-32 the rest of the way, or a winning percentage of .600. They'd need a winning percentage of .650 to get to 92 wins.

And that's not including the 4 other non-division-leading teams with more wins than the Yankees right now.

The odds are obviously far worse for them to catch the Red Sox.

The Yankees are a case study in how to blow it with the biggest built-in competitive advantage in sports. I'd bet the farm that they won't be in the playoffs this year.
Pirates4Life
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers