Wouldn't it be weird to see the Yankees selling? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wouldn't it be weird to see the Yankees selling?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Wouldn't it be weird to see the Yankees selling?

Postby jfg » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:25 pm

When was the last time the Yankees have gone into firesale mode? Has it ever happened? If they are still more than 10 games back around the deadline it would make sense to try to trade off Abreu, Giambi, maybe even ARod and Clemens? All of those guys have a very strong chance of not being back next year. Some guys no matter the age aren't going anywhere, but it would be a really interesting deadline if the Yankees start selling.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Wouldn't it be weird to see the Yankees selling?

Postby Philliebuster » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:28 pm

They don't sell much because of the overpriced, monster contracts on the aging player, if they sell said player they have to eat alot of the contract. Nobody's taking Giambi, Abreu is movable...Matsui as well perhaps...
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby os_gamejunkie » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:35 pm

It will never happen because it will probably start a riot and they would never give Boston the satisfaction, but it needs to happen. I'd start moving some of those hefty contacts to teams who need that "extra push" to make the playoffs. I think the last real quality contract that made sense was Mussina. He gave them quality starts and ate innings. But still, $20 mil a year for someone that has never won a Cy Young or been the go-to guy during the playoffs was not worth it. Now Wang is there is ace. :-*
os_gamejunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jfg » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:00 am

The one problem that the Yankees have if they want to sell, is that they can't be the buyers and they aren't going to sell to the Sox so they don't have many teams that would take on one of those contracts. With Boston and themselves out of the equation who's buying? I could see Seattle taking on Matsui's contract. That would bring in some extra attention, revenue and wins teaming him up with Ichiro. I don't know if Steinbrenner would even sell to an AL team though, because even if he was 10 games back at the deadline I'm sure he'd have some thought that they could still get the wild card.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 84)

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:01 am

none of you are from new york i take it? there isnt a damn chance the yankees sell, even back by 10 at the deadline! i gaurantee that! maybe they deal giambi for obvious reasons, but in no way shape or form will they make trades with the intention of "calling it in" this season. theyre underperforming as a team, so with that in mind, the yanks brass obviously would assume make some moves, acquire a starter or bullpen relief and boom, contender again... i dont feel that way, but im sure any yanks fans would. basically, in close, the yankees are not selling any time this season, i can absolutely promise you that!!! ;-D
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:09 pm

The Yankees selling would be the greatest sight in baseball in 2007. NYMetsIn2k4 , what desperate moves can you see them making? They'd have to get Eric Gagne and a SP , since Roger "the rusted rocket" Clemens was such a wise investment.
Do they really want to give up all that pitching they have in AA?
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby raygunpunx » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:26 pm

AussieDodger wrote:The Yankees selling would be the greatest sight in baseball in 2007. NYMetsIn2k4 , what desperate moves can you see them making? They'd have to get Eric Gagne and a SP , since Roger "the rusted rocket" Clemens was such a wise investment.
Do they really want to give up all that pitching they have in AA?

Clemens has not pitched as badly as you think. The Yanks have already said Hughes,Chamberlin,Kennedy,Tabata and Betances are off limits
raygunpunx
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SonsofSlam04 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:50 pm

I would LOVE to see the Skankees sell... but its not going to happen for 2 reasons: Reason #1 By selling Skankees would concede the rest of the year. As long as Darth Steinbrenner is alive I strongly believe he wouldnt allow this - too much of an embarrassement. $200 Million Payroll and you have to dismantle a team? Reason #2 Most teams are not DUMB enough to take on some of the HUGE contracts the Skanks have on their hands - not going to happen!
That said - I do believe the Skanks are not done. They gained 5 games in about 10 days only 2 weeks ago. Its only July 1 - If they are down 10 games by Sept 1 then maybe we can start counting them out - big Maybe!!! - unless Pettitte is hurt - which I predicted prior to the start of the year.

Stay tuned
SonsofSlam04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:42 pm

They just look awful.

Amazing that hitting is the problem. The pitching has been good enough.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:56 pm

I still dont think they are out of either race. They will have a post All-Star surge and perhaps capture the Wildcard. But Cashman has stated (forget where I read it) that they will stand pat at the deadline.

And Clemens has been a bust because he was supposed to be the savior. You dont pay someone 20+ just to beat the Pirates. The only way they could trade him is to send him to the Astros but Clemens needs to push for that to happen.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers