Jacoby Ellsbury gets the call - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Jacoby Ellsbury gets the call

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jacoby Ellsbury gets the call

Postby hwiggen » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:51 pm

Scored from second on a wild pitch?
Can anyone who saw it describe the play?
This guy is starting to sound like the next Vince Coleman.
hwiggen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby somervillesoxfan » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:13 am

This kid is going to be a fantastic player. He has got great baseball instinct and is an excellent base runner. Ive seen him play in the minors and then these past few games with the sox and he will be the real deal. He reminds me of a young Johnny Damon at the plate, but he is much faster than him and has a better arm in center field. although it is hard to have a worse arm than Damon or Coco, my grandmother can throw it farther than those 2 guys. anyway I believe that he will be the starting CF for the sox next year and possibly this year if Coco cant keep it going.

as for the play...again it is his great instincts and base running that came into play. he had a nice lead on second and saw that the pitch was going down into the dirt and just took off... he was sliding over home plate before a throw was even made by the catcher to the pitcher, it was unbelievable.

go sox!!!
somervillesoxfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby quitesanemax » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:27 am

I was watching a few of his at bats later in the game too. This kid seems incredibly patient for someone so young. He was doing a good job of working that count. I don't know, maybe it was just a good night for him, but I was impressed with how he played last night.

That being said, Coco Crisp was pretty hot before he got injured too. I think Francona gives him the job back when/if his thumb gets better, assuming its not worse than what they are making it out to be. If he is out for about a month, and Ellsbury is still doing good, I could see them letting Ellsbury keep the job...
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:09 am

hwiggen wrote:Scored from second on a wild pitch?
Can anyone who saw it describe the play?

He didn't even pause at 3rd, he just kept going and bounced up after sliding, knew he was safe. He's got some instincts on the base paths, that's for sure. Fun to watch. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates