Yuniesky Betancourt - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yuniesky Betancourt

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yuniesky Betancourt

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:16 pm

What do you all think of him? Bob Elliot thinks pretty highly...
What a major-league scout says: “I’m sure Derek Jeter is going to start the all-star game in San Francisco for the American League. But this guy could be his heir.

“He is probably going to wind up with more errors than last year, but Jeter had 22 his first full year. Betancourt has more range than most and he plays with a flair. He has fun. Watching him field a ground ball behind second and making a strong throw to get a guy on a bang-bang play is like watching Dontrelle Willis pitch. We don’t have enough of that.”

“Some Cubans ,such as Ariel Prieto or Osvaldo Fernandez, have been busts. This kid can play. He’s like those flashy, yet dependable shortstops from Cuba: Bert Campaneris, Leo Cardenas or Rey Ordonez. Last time I looked he’d struck out only about 10% of his plate appearances.

“You might argue whether he’ll take over from Jeter, or if he was good as Campaneris or Ordonez, but I’ll tell you one thing, he’s the best dang shortstop named Yuniesky that I’ve ever seen.”

Winnipeg SUN | FULL STORY
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yuniesky Betancourt

Postby Old_Style » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:17 pm

Am I missing something here? The heir to Jeter? Come on.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:56 pm

Betancourt is pretty awesome defensively, but his bat will never give him an All-Star appearance.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Field » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:02 pm

I like this guy a lot. I was actually thinking about starting a thread about him the other day. He is amazing on defense, and makes it look so easy. Hell of an arm, kind of reminds me of Furcal in the field.

My second favorite player in the game right now.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby idealFX » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:59 pm

Old_Style wrote:Am I missing something here? The heir to Jeter? Come on.

who do you propose is the closest comparison? don't say reyes, because they're totally different defensively.

kimchi_chigae wrote:Betancourt is pretty awesome defensively, but his bat will never give him an All-Star appearance.

so i guess the flash of his .327 average in may doesn't mean anything...? sooner or later, he'll get moved up to the 7th spot, then maybe 2, then slowly to leadoff when ichiro leaves. betancourt is a very good situational hitter, and may very well be molded into a leadoff hitter.
"I dont know who the Royals will have in centerfield now that Estebean German took one in the mouth on a fly ball. Probably Kerry Robinson which means that the Royals start with one out every 3 innings."

-Perlick
idealFX
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Big Pimpin » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:42 pm

One of my favorites and certainly underrated by those who don't see him day in and day out. :-)

kimchi_chigae wrote:Betancourt is pretty awesome defensively, but his bat will never give him an All-Star appearance.

He is definitely awesome defensively, despite his throwing issues so far this year. The kid can flat out play the field. I disagree about the bat though. I really see him as a consistent .280-.300 hitter. In addition, his bat has some real pop plus the kid can run. Now, so far neither of those skills has carried over into massive HR or SB totals. However, I think as he develops he's capable of 20+ HRs and at least that many steals (for all his speed he's not so great at reading pitchers and getting jumps).

Anyway, I would not be surprised at all to see him put together a big first half at some point and make an All Star game. I don't know that he'll ever be a top 5 fantasy SS or a regular All Star, but IMO he's got some very good skills.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Return to Baseball Leftovers