Transformers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Transformers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Transformers

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:49 pm

Old_Style wrote:I grew up after Transformers was popular and, as a result, never got into it. Is there anyone else here that was never a huge fan of Transformers but liked the movie? I'm hesitating on going to watch it.

I'm waiting for that, too. Fans tend to either gloss over things or become overly critical. I want that outside opinion before plunking down my $8 for the movie.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:28 pm

Old_Style wrote:I grew up after Transformers was popular and, as a result, never got into it. Is there anyone else here that was never a huge fan of Transformers but liked the movie? I'm hesitating on going to watch it.

Basically, if you loved Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and kept a collection on Megazords, then you'll love Transformers.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 671)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Old_Style » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:09 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:

Basically, if you loved Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and kept a collection on Megazords, then you'll love Transformers.

I was a fan of the Power Rangers, but I certainly wouldn't want to go out and see any of the movies. :-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:01 am

Well, I saw it and wasn't a Transformers fan.

Overall, I'd say it was a little disappointing but worth the price of admission. I was hoping for it to be a little more serious, but hey... it's a movie about Transformers. For those who actually remember the cartoon, they used the same personalities and voices for the new movie which made the viewer feel like they were watching a kid's movie at points. I don't remember watching the cartoon, but as soon as I recognized the voices, I realized that I must have. There were some really hokey attempts at humor too like the transformers trying to hide from the kid's parents. These scenes just didn't work for me. On the other hand, there were some awesome cars in it and the action sequences really were quite impressive. I especially liked the slow-mo CGI scenes of the robots in action. Pretty cool stuff.

This film is really no different than any of Michael Bay's other work. Tall on action/effects, short on story/character development. Curb your expectations a little and you might enjoy it more than I did.

I'd give it a "B-".
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:11 pm

I've read that one of Transformers' biggest redeeming qualities is that it doesn't take itself too seriously. If Michael Bay would have had is way, it probably would have been 30 minutes of Transformers blowing stuff up, and 2.5 hours of a boring love story undoubtedly starring Ben Affleck and Liv Tyler.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JTWood » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:48 am

Just saw it. It sucked.

Here's a summary:

Oh, we're searching for glasses! Wait! 90 minutes later, it turns out we don't need them, but in that time, we've wasted plenty of good plot development on needless special effects, an excess of pointless comedy, and a few minutes of kid-like robots. Once we get through that filth, we have John Turturo's worthless character, and about 20 minutes of screenplay stolen directly from Independence Day.

But don't worry, the final confrontation is chock full of a dizzying array of special effects and twisting camera shots that will prevent you from seeing a damn thing. I think the good guys won, but the only thing I'm really sure of is that I got to see lots of that girl's cleavage.

;-D

Here's a question: Why didn't the Decepticons just step on everything and/or use the explosive weapon that destroyed the military base at the beginning of the movie?

:-t
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby bleach168 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:25 am

I enjoyed it. It's worth 8 bucks.

The whole Section 7 thing was dumb and wasn't even in the cartoon iirc. The plot was dumb.

I found the Ladiesman217 from ebay bits pretty funny and the action sequences were top notch.

I would rather watch this movie a second time over 300.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby Coppermine » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:10 am

We were about to go see it yesterday afternoon, but once we saw all the teeny boppers lining up for tickets, my gf convinced me to go see, of all things, Ratatooie (or whatever) instead. I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it more than I would have Transformers. Which is kind of sad I guess, considering I typically can't stand animated kids movies.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Danger » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:04 pm

I saw it and I liked it a lot. It was far from the perfect movie but was still very enjoyable to me. The movie focused way too much on those glasses and that little metal weeny robot thing the Decepticons had did way too much, pretty found and did everything for them through the whole movie. The fight sequences were AMAZING imo, the CGI was insane. You could see every spinning gear on the robots and everything, wow. The movie was rather long but for once I didn't mind. I realized we were through a good portion of the movie already and they still haven't introduced any of the transformers, other than Bumblebee of course, but I thought they packaged everything in pretty well. A little disappointed they showed so little of Megatron and killed him off already but if there is a sequel/trilogy, any Transformers fan knows they'll find some magic way to revive him. I liked the lighter humorous side a bit but thought it was a LITTLE too much, just a little though.

I went to watch it with a friend who saw it the 2nd time with me and she told me that it was worth watching a 2nd time and I agree, I'm probably going again tonight or tomorrow with another group of friends. They brought in a lot of actors/actresses for cameos and I agree that most of them weren't needed. I remember watching Beast Wars when I was younger and now it got me all riled up to watch it again :-b

PS: Megan Fox, WOW 8-o

JTWood wrote:Just saw it. It sucked.

Here's a summary:

Oh, we're searching for glasses! Wait! 90 minutes later, it turns out we don't need them, but in that time, we've wasted plenty of good plot development on needless special effects, an excess of pointless comedy, and a few minutes of kid-like robots. Once we get through that filth, we have John Turturo's worthless character, and about 20 minutes of screenplay stolen directly from Independence Day.

But don't worry, the final confrontation is chock full of a dizzying array of special effects and twisting camera shots that will prevent you from seeing a damn thing. I think the good guys won, but the only thing I'm really sure of is that I got to see lots of that girl's cleavage.

;-D

Here's a question: Why didn't the Decepticons just step on everything and/or use the explosive weapon that destroyed the military base at the beginning of the movie?

:-t

I'm not sure if you're actually being serious about the question but by weapon did you mean the big robot? I believe he was a Decepticon, Starscream.
Last edited by Danger on Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danger
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JTWood » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:10 pm

Danger wrote:I'm not sure if you're actually being serious about the question but by weapon did you mean the big robot? I believe he was a Decepticon, Starscream.
Yeah, I'm being serious. The first decepticon tore through a heavily armed military base without a problem, and yet later in the movie, a band of 5-7 soldiers is able to hold them off at close range with hand-held weapons.

Why didn't the decepticons just emit that round blast that wiped out the base?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk