Return to General Talk

Transformers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Transformers

Postby Coppermine » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:05 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Cracked.com's 7 most useless transformers of all time

Bah. Astrotrain was cool. :-D

They're all "cool," I don't think anyone is contesting the coolness of transformers (except maybe that one that turns into a tape deck). It's just useless.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:22 am

knapplc wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I think we're going to a sneak preview tonight. Can't wait. :-D

So what's the verdict, Omaha? Didja see it?

We didn't. :,-( Too much going on.... :-°
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby IrishSox14 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:45 am

Is this movie worth paying the whole movie price ($8 w.o food) or waiting til it comes to the local theater for $2??
IrishSox14
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:12 am

IrishSox14 wrote:Is this movie worth paying the whole movie price ($8 w.o food) or waiting til it comes to the local theater for $2??

From everything I've seen it's definitely going to be worth seeing on a good screen with good sound.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:03 pm

It doesn't seem like anyone actually went to see it yet... I guess we're waiting for a verdict, but there must be a few hardcore Transformers fans that were all over it. It's pulling a 59% on rotten tomatoes, which isn't great but I guess it's on par for a summer blockbuster. But if you read the reviews, the positive ones basically rated it solely on its action and the negative ones criticized the acting, plot and character development. I don't know if anyone really expected any of that though given that it's the "big" summer movie and the director is Michael Bay. As long as it's not a 3 hour suckfest that was Pearl Harbor, and the action is top notch, I'd probably want to catch it on the big screen and then just forget about it forever... like I did with Independence Day.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby roninmedia » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:15 pm

I saw and let's face it, Michael Bay has always been a piss poor director when it comes to plot, acting, and any character development. For example, they try to introduce some background info on Josh Duhamel trying to put in some emotion but nothing happens with the background, absolutely nothing. In fact, after seeing the movie the first time, I did not remember any human character's name except Sam because they were just that darn forgettable.

But knowing Bay's past, you know he relies way too much on special effects but he usually gets it right combining them with action, excitement and explosions. Yeah, some of the special effects were used a lot and they were annoying to me. If you're amped up for an action movie blockbuster, this is it, but don't expect some kind of summer epic. I watched the movie as a download and in the theater. It is definitely worth paying the $7-10 to see the movie on the big screen with better picture quality and premier sound. Of course of you have a good sound system at home, you could buy it on DVD but this isn't exactly the movie you sit and watch multiple times to equal the cost of movie tickets.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:35 pm

I saw it the other night and enjoyed it. I didn't expect it to have a coherent story and multi-layered characters, but was initially concerned that it would be an absolute bust such as Godzilla in 1998, which I thought was going to be a life-changing experience. At times, it seemed like the Autobot and Decepticon characters had taken a backseat to the human characters (figures because it's Michael Bay we're talking about) one too many times with no real development, but the CGI sequences and battles made up for it. Fun to watch if you don't take it seriously, as the movie itself surely doesn't, which is a good thing and a bad thing (which means they should emphasize more on the Transformers instead). I'd say Transformers is better than Spiderman 3 and POTC At World's End, but would have to say Live Free or Die Hard is the best action blockbuster to come out in some time.

Apparently, Transformers will be extended into a trilogy, as the end seems to tease at it...predictably.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby nsulham » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:06 pm

Unbelievable movie. Everything a summer action blockbuster should be. I had to piss for the last 45 minutes but held it because I didn't want to miss anything. I really, really enjoyed it.

Oh, and Megan Fox? %-6 8-o ;-D
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Boyakasha » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:27 pm

There were a lot of things wrong with the movie...the acting wasn't that good, the plot was flaky, there were a lot of useless characters, John Turturro was wasted in the movie, etc.
But, I still really enjoyed the movie. Just a big, fun summer movie, heavy on the nostalgia. Definitely see it in the theatre...besides the big sound and picture, the crowd really gets into it. They went nuts when the red and blue semi came into the frame.
High on the awesomeness factor. Releases your inner dork.
Boyakasha
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Old_Style » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:44 pm

I grew up after Transformers was popular and, as a result, never got into it. Is there anyone else here that was never a huge fan of Transformers but liked the movie? I'm hesitating on going to watch it.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk