Pittsburgh fans walkout? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pittsburgh fans walkout?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Pittsburgh fans walkout?

Postby Tavish » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:18 am

Several years back Royals fans did a pre-staged walkout although it was for different reasons. Royals fans wanted the MLB to share the wealth. Pirate fans just want their owner to spend it. Neither protest does any good, but have fun.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mbuser » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:57 am

i'm very happy that this has gained a lot more momentum than expected. bob nutting released a stupic statement before the game today saying that he 'shared our frustrations' and that he remains 'committed to winning' games (as proof that he's either lying or a moron of epic proportions, dave littlefield is still the GM). also, the pirates have forbade the broadcast team of making any mention of the protest on the air, have been very swift to remove any mention of it from the pirates mlb.com message board and ban members who post about it, and have also convinced FSN pittsburgh to not show any live footage of the walkout, which the exec producer agreed to do 'in a difficult decision' because, despite it being a news story, in a way they are 'different than the local news'

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07179/797796-63.stm

the plan is to meet outside the stadium two hours before gametime for the protest, which will feature a member of the '71 WS team (rumored to be dock ellis). i have to say that, as a life-long pirates fan, this is huge for me. as of right now, most baseball fans just know the pirates as perennial doormats -- hopefully this will get some attention and more and more baseball fans, media types, whoever will realize that a lack of resources (ie just because we are a 'small market') is not really at the heart of the problem in the pirates case, but rather a lack of committment to anything but turning a profit from the current ownership group

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/33/07m ... peed=10000

according to forbes, the yanks (thanks to their payroll) were the only team to take a loss last season, with the marlins and pirates (two of the lowest payrolls in baseball) turning among the biggest profits in the league (thanks to MLB's welfare system). that, my friend, is the true problem with the pirates -- ownership sees it only as a business. they couldn't care less about the history of the team, the legendary players to wear the uniform, or the great memories that many in western pennsylvania have from generations of following the buccos. all they see is the bottom line.

things are already in place to help change the disparity in payroll across the league -- i'm not going to argue that it's not 'enough', but it's something. clearly, when the top of the heap in profit are the teams investing the least in the on-the-field product, something is amiss, and it ain't that they don't have some money to work with. the pirates, for instance, have been using revenue sharing money to pay down the debt that the club (read: the club's current ownership group) owes, which in turn increases the 'value' of the franchise itself. yep, in lieu of winning freaking baseball games, the nutting family and kevin mclatchy's aim is to increase their own bank accounts. as long as these people remain in place, people who have made it abundantly clear with their actions that they don't care about fielding a winning team for pirates fans, then as a fan i literally have no hope
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby wrveres » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:28 am

solid piece. ...
I wish I could be there to walk out with you.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 757)

Postby Shaman » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:07 am

thanks to MLB's welfare system ...

Wouldn't it be interesting if the worst team in each league was demoted to be a AAA franchise, replaced by the top two AAA teams? I know the players would have concerns about this, but would actually even make me interested a little in the outcomes of AAA. Sort of like the rest of like relagation elsewhere in the sports world http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relegation
Shaman
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby San D » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:28 am

They should do something along the lines that the bottom two teams don't get any revenue sharing. That will force teams to try and win and not reward the Pittsburgh Pirate business model.
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mak1277 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:56 am

This whole idea (profit-making vs. fielding a competetive team) creates a major conflict for me. I've been a Pirates fan all my life, and it is brutal and depressing to watch them play right now. It's blatantly obvious that the ownership group is not doing everything in their power to win. And I don't mean just paying for free agents or keeping their own players. They are not making appropriate investments in developing players through the minor leagues. They don't invest in Latin America. They draft the most signable player, not the best player. Unless they get very lucky, they won't be able to turn the losing streak around within the next 5 years.

On the other hand, I work in the business world, and it's really tough for me to criticize the ownership group for turning the largest profit they can. The reality is that they are operating in a legal monopoly and the system in place rewards teams that don't spend money. Who can say that the ownership group has to try and win? Obviously, any real baseball fan believes that a true commitment to winning SHOULD be a requirement of ownership...but let's be realistic, it isn't. As a businessman, I kind of agree with the management style currently in place. As long as either (1) the fans keep coming for bobblehead night and fireworks night and (2) MLB doesn't impose a spending floor, then the Nuttings will continue to run the team as a business and Pirate fans will continue to watch losing teams.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby bretnsid » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:03 am

What if the Pirates are winning like 8-0 by the third? That'd be pretty funny, kinda ruin your statement :-D
...somewhere, on other planets, actual "Beasts" are referring to each other as "Brauns."
bretnsid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NWSoxaholic » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:23 pm

I'm not real educated in the business side of baseball, but wouldn't it make sense to make it mandatory to have any revenue-sharing money that goes to smaller market teams be used on actually signing players or directly improving the onfield product? From the little that I've read here it seems that there are alot of parallels between the US welfare system and the MLB revenue sharing program. Money that is handed out is used in the wrong way and not for what it should be. I think revenue sharing is a great idea (a salary cap and possibly a spending floor would be better), but if I was a big market team, I'd be pissed if the money I make goes to fix other teams screwups and not to help create parity in the league- which would help in the long run bring in more fans and more money.
NWSoxaholic
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Third Day » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:27 pm

Maybe they could use attendance as a factor in revenue sharing. For every percentage point under max capacity for a season you loose an amount of revenue sharing. Bad team = lower attendance = less money.
He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him
Third Day
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 272)

Postby jake_harv88 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:05 pm

It wouldn't make any sense to not go to the game. That wouldn't grab the owners attention at all. At least not very fast. They would simply think attendance is down. However, If you actually go to the game and then literally thousands of people get up an leave a 1/3 of the way through the game, now that might actually grab some attention. If not the owners, the players will definately notice. I totally agree with the plan and I'm upset i'm not in the pittsburgh area to join. The fans should have the power in the game, not the players and not the owners. If the fans are upset they should do everything in their power to express their discontent.

Plus its not a waste of money to go to the game, its really not all that expensive. I believe i've sat down the baselines for like 20 bucks or so. PNC park is extremely beautiful and its a shame to see it go to "waste" sometimes. Lets just put it this way, I would much rather go see a pirates game than have to pay 100 bucks to sit in the bleachers at fenway.

Good luck to you guys tonight, I hope you get you're feet, or voices heard... ;-D
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers