ALERT: Gallardo NOT pen-bound - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

ALERT: Gallardo NOT pen-bound

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: ALERT: Gallardo NOT pen-bound

Postby dubstar » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:29 pm

Rollotommasi wrote:
dubstar wrote:well, he is pen bound it seems, just not so soon. he will get one more start then go there after the break.

viewtopic.php?t=304199#p2438322

you seriously linked me to this same topic? trying to prove me wrong?

read the whole article dude.

MILWAUKEE - The arrangement for the Milwaukee Brewers' starting rotation over the next 10 games leading into the All-Star break took form Wednesday when left-hander Chris Capuano cruised through a five-inning simulated game without a hitch.

Capuano is scheduled to come off the disabled list in time to pitch next Tuesday against the Pittsburgh Pirates and should be able to get a final start July 8 at Washington, the last day of play before the break.

Manager Ned Yost, who watched Capuano's 75-pitch practice, also said he will go with a six-man rotation down the stretch that will give Capuano, Ben Sheets, Dave Bush and rookie right-hander Yovani Gallardo two starts each over the 10 games.

Gallardo was expected to move to the bullpen with the return of Capuano. He already was scheduled to open the series Friday at Wrigley Field against the Chicago Cubs. He now also is scheduled to open the series July 6 at Washington.

Sheets will work Saturday's game against the Cubs and the July 5 finale at Pittsburgh. Bush, who made his first relief appearance of the season Wednesday against the Astros, will close out the Cubs series Sunday afternoon and pitch the July 7 game in Washington.

The Brewers are a rarity in the game these days, having used just seven starters.

"There's a lot of guys doing a great job right now," Capuano said. "Having too many guys for a limited number of starts is a great thing. If we have six guys for five spots all year, I think everybody is going to be happy."

The Brewers actually have seven starters if reliever Carlos Villanueva is in the mix. He got the emergency call when Capuano came down with a groin strain while warming up for a game June 13 in Detroit. Gallardo is expected to make the move to the pen after the break, a move that would free Villanueva from the long-man role to more work in tight games in the sixth or seventh inning.

Capuano, who is 5-5 with a 4.35 ERA, worked against regular hitters Kevin Mench and Gabe Gross, as well as Vargas and Bush in the simulated game. He suffered a blister on his foot and felt the start of one on his pitching hand in the hot and muggy weather at Miller Park.

"Certainly no arm strength problems," Capuano said.

Capuano, who has not pitched since June 8, said he is trying to turn his injury break into a positive.

"Your body definitely feels fresher when you have a little break," Capuano said. "That's what you have to do when you have things like this happen - look at the positives, recharge your batteries and get ready to go."

Around the horn Corey Hart extended his hitting streak to 14 games with a fifth-inning double. Mench, who did not play Wednesday, has just one walk - an intentional one, at that - in 161 plate appearances this season. Mench drew that in the third game of the season. The only other player even close to Mench in that department is Los Angeles Angels outfielder Garrett Anderson, who has one walk in 129 at-bats.
dubstar
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wildbill » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:47 pm

If this arrangement were to contiunue after the break it would devalue the rest of the pitchers in the starting rotation for fantasy purposes, so I imagine there would be some angry Sheets owners. I don't think it's realistic for the Brewers to continue this after the break, it could hurt the established starters used to pitching on a 5 day schedule.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dubstar » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:52 pm

wildbill wrote:If this arrangement were to contiunue after the break it would devalue the rest of the pitchers in the starting rotation for fantasy purposes, so I imagine there would be some angry Sheets owners. I don't think it's realistic for the Brewers to continue this after the break, it could hurt the established starters used to pitching on a 5 day schedule.

it says its just until the break.
dubstar
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wildbill » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:43 pm

dubstar wrote:
wildbill wrote:If this arrangement were to contiunue after the break it would devalue the rest of the pitchers in the starting rotation for fantasy purposes, so I imagine there would be some angry Sheets owners. I don't think it's realistic for the Brewers to continue this after the break, it could hurt the established starters used to pitching on a 5 day schedule.

Yeah I didn't notice the 2nd page in this thread the first time around. I was busy trying to figure out why someone would post a link to this thread in this thread.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby phinphan896 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:11 pm

thats smart as hell because it also keeps his pitch count down.
phinphan896
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby 5 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:02 am

They say Capuano is Tuesday and the final Sunday before the break and YoGa will pitch Friday against Wash.

So if they go to a 6-man rotation, then it looks like Sheets & Cap would be on 5-days rest.

Sat (Sheets), Sun (Bush), Mon (Suppan), Tues (Cap), Wed (Vargas), Thurs (back to Sheets I guess), Fri - (YoGa), Sat - who the heck knows, Sun (Cap)

Is this what Ned is planning?
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Splendid61 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:16 am

dubstar wrote:

As a Sheets owner in a points league, I'm hoping Gallardo isn't lights out during this 2-week experiment.
Splendid61
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dubstar » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:32 am

im kinda worried this isnt news yet on yahoo or cbs. is it even true?
dubstar
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dubstar » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:47 am

Splendid61 wrote:
dubstar wrote:

As a Sheets owner in a points league, I'm hoping Gallardo isn't lights out during this 2-week experiment.

why do you say that? its not like sheets is going anywhere.......
dubstar
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wildbill » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:02 pm

dubstar wrote:
Splendid61 wrote:As a Sheets owner in a points league, I'm hoping Gallardo isn't lights out during this 2-week experiment.

why do you say that? its not like sheets is going anywhere.......

If Gallardo is lights out maybe the manager will change his mind and go with a 6 man rotation after the break, at least for a while. Not likely, but you never know, managers do crazy things. If something like that did happen it'd mean less starts for Sheets. Of course one could always wish Bush or Vargas blow up big time and get moved to the pen after the break instead of Gallardo.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates