"Backstabbing?" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

"Backstabbing?"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: "Backstabbing?"

Postby san76er » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:09 pm

i had a similar exeprerince earlier this yr when i saw my friend and said to him i needed a shortstop and i was going to propobaly pick up hardy (this was in april) and he already had hanley at ss so i though he wasnt going to pick him up. when i came home i didnt have time to check so i waited a couple of days and one day when i logged on he pick up hardy and he said he needed a util player. i was like wtf. and he even offered me to him in a trade and i said no. thats defintely backstabbing what he did.

Backstabbing, or shrewd fantasy management? Free agents are available on a first come first served basis. If a player is out there on the wire that you want, and you don't end up picking him up before somebody else does. You have nobody to blame but yourself. Not tipping your hand, and knowing when to pull the trigger is a big part of handling free agency.

I have a friend with whom I discuss a lot of baseball. I'll be over at his house and we'll watch baseball tonight and note players performances. If he starts talking about a player that I've been watching on the wire, I go out of my way to subtly and quickly change the subject or start talking about another player that I have no interest in. I don't want him to know what I'm thinking. Because by the time I get home from his crib he's usually picked up a player or two. Oh yeah....he's approaching 200 moves in our league.
san76er
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:10 pm

similar things have happened in my leagues as well. its a sorta "sucks for you" thing. alot of times, i want to talk about some players with members of our league. you should have to make sure to be on top of things, thats all.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rounders » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:10 pm

sandman042 wrote:i had a similar exeprerince earlier this yr when i saw my friend and said to him i needed a shortstop and i was going to propobaly pick up hardy (this was in april) and he already had hanley at ss so i though he wasnt going to pick him up. when i came home i didnt have time to check so i waited a couple of days and one day when i logged on he pick up hardy and he said he needed a util player. i was like wtf. and he even offered me to him in a trade and i said no. thats defintely backstabbing what he did. this was 10 times worst than urs cause i needed an ss at the time. its all good i ended up w/ orlando cabrera who has more points than hardy in my points league :>

How is this worse? If he needed to play a UTIL guy, he went and picked up the hot hand. 2 days? That's a long time to leave a guy out there and then be mad that someone else picked him up (even if you told him you were going to pick him up). I see this one as an absolute non-issue.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sandman042 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:36 pm

yea he said he needed a util but never started him until late may when hardy was slumping.its true though of what u guys are saying it is all fair if its on free agents... thats something i learned..
sandman042
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Crippler » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:23 pm

Fair? Yes! ;-D

Douche? Yes! :-C
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:13 pm

acsguitar wrote:He didn't say it was pedro therefore its his fault for being slow

Even if he did say the player's name, I don't see a problem here. You snooze, you lose. He should have clammed up until after he made the move.

chipper wrote:
sandman042 wrote:first of all in fantasy baseball if u were ever to consult anyone never ask someone else in the league thats just stupid. techinically if u r on free agents it is no1's property so u did nothin wrong. He also never told u who it was either so its all fair. but if he told u i was going to pick up pedro n u did then that would be backstabbinmg a friend. i think he got madd cause u said u will beat him to it.

i had a similar exeprerince earlier this yr when i saw my friend and said to him i needed a shortstop and i was going to propobaly pick up hardy (this was in april) and he already had hanley at ss so i though he wasnt going to pick him up. when i came home i didnt have time to check so i waited a couple of days and one day when i logged on he pick up hardy and he said he needed a util player. i was like wtf. and he even offered me to him in a trade and i said no. thats defintely backstabbing what he did. this was 10 times worst than urs cause i needed an ss at the time. its all good i ended up w/ orlando cabrera who has more points than hardy in my points league :>

You waited...."a couple of days" and then got mad about it? Please :-°

Agreed. If I ever discussed a player on the WW with another owner, you are damn sure that I will be sitting at my PC when I do it.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:51 pm

chipper wrote:
sandman042 wrote:first of all in fantasy baseball if u were ever to consult anyone never ask someone else in the league thats just stupid. techinically if u r on free agents it is no1's property so u did nothin wrong. He also never told u who it was either so its all fair. but if he told u i was going to pick up pedro n u did then that would be backstabbinmg a friend. i think he got madd cause u said u will beat him to it.

i had a similar exeprerince earlier this yr when i saw my friend and said to him i needed a shortstop and i was going to propobaly pick up hardy (this was in april) and he already had hanley at ss so i though he wasnt going to pick him up. when i came home i didnt have time to check so i waited a couple of days and one day when i logged on he pick up hardy and he said he needed a util player. i was like wtf. and he even offered me to him in a trade and i said no. thats defintely backstabbing what he did. this was 10 times worst than urs cause i needed an ss at the time. its all good i ended up w/ orlando cabrera who has more points than hardy in my points league :>

You waited...."a couple of days" and then got mad about it? Please :-°

Yeah, I laughed pretty hard when I saw that too. It's ludicrous to ever get mad about a situation like this, but to wait for a matter of days and then get mad is just plain infantile.

A FA is a FA. Am I supposed to tie my own hands just because one of my friends let it slip that he has an eye on a player that I need. If I was going to, out of curiosity, wait to pick up such a player, I certainly wouldn't wait more than one day.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:44 pm

No, it's not really backstabbing. It's his own fault for asking someone in his own league the question, rather than someone not in the league.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner