Javier Vazquez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Javier Vazquez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Javier Vazquez

Postby Yoda » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:28 pm

What are your predictions for him rest of the season? Seems like he has some great starts and then blows up. Is he one of those guys who always has good peripherals but bad results?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Javier Vazquez

Postby Drunken Rhino » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:48 pm

Except when he pitched for Expos.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Philly_05 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:50 pm

Not sure I was going to cut him before yesterdays game but canceled my claim for Alex Gordon in a deep keeper and switched it to someone else. I figure he will be a average pitcher the rest of the way. If your despite for a starter you will use him lol.
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 621)

Postby J35J » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:11 pm

The only thing much different from the last couple years is he isn't giving up as many hits. He's always been a hit per inning type of guy so if he can keep the # of hits down his WHIP should stay solid. With that said I think he will revert back to his old self sooner than later and will end up putting up a 4.25 ERA and a 1.25 WHIP in the second half. I've always liked Javy but he's so inconsistant from game to game that it can be frustrating. Solid guy to round out you're rotation for sure though!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Postby Doughhead » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:56 pm

This guy is a heartbreaker...he's got the skills to be a relevant fantasy force (and has even been one before--albeit years ago). It seems like every year, he has these brilliant games that make you think he's back--then he gets bombed and you remember why he was available to begin with. He's like a ticking time bomb: every good start brings you one step closer to the brutal one. That makes him a really tough guy to spot start, because you never know when that game comes where he goes 4.2 IP and gives up 8 runs. To benefit, you basically have to go with him as a full-time starter--but his numbers, aside from the Ks, are fairly mediocre, so doing that isn't overly attractive either. I see him putting up a 4.50 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, and close to 200 Ks. Wins? Who knows. I'll say 14.
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby RyeWhiskey » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:05 pm

Other than this season, there have only been 2 others where Vazquez's WHIP has ended up under 1.25 ('03 and '01, both with Montreal). In those years he 3.24 and 3.42 ERA respectively. Those are also the only seasons where he Kd over 200 batters.

I'd say he's not going to repeat either of those years, but should fall in between those two anomalies and his average stats. In other words, look for:
220 IP, 10-12 W, 190 K, 3.90 ERA, 1.20 WHIP.

In other words, not a terrible line at all. Vazquez is a great back-of-the-rotation starter due to his high K numbers and decent ERA. He also had a terrible May which led to his peripherals being where they are this season. So to answer your question: no, he doesn't have that good peripherals, in fact, over his career his 1.27 WHIP is atrocious. BUT he Ks a lot of batters and will keep his ERA around 4, so don't be shy to go grab him.
It is also possible that he could be traded away from the no-offense White Sox, in which case his numbers could bounce around for the better.

Monkey
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Doughhead » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:20 pm

AngryMonkey wrote:Other than this season, there have only been 2 others where Vazquez's WHIP has ended up under 1.25 ('03 and '01, both with Montreal). In those years he 3.24 and 3.42 ERA respectively. Those are also the only seasons where he Kd over 200 batters.

I'd say he's not going to repeat either of those years, but should fall in between those two anomalies and his average stats. In other words, look for:
220 IP, 10-12 W, 190 K, 3.90 ERA, 1.20 WHIP.

In other words, not a terrible line at all. Vazquez is a great back-of-the-rotation starter due to his high K numbers and decent ERA. He also had a terrible May which led to his peripherals being where they are this season. So to answer your question: no, he doesn't have that good peripherals, in fact, over his career his 1.27 WHIP is atrocious. BUT he Ks a lot of batters and will keep his ERA around 4, so don't be shy to go grab him.
It is also possible that he could be traded away from the no-offense White Sox, in which case his numbers could bounce around for the better.

Monkey

I wouldn't call a career 1.27 WHIP "atrocious."
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby RyeWhiskey » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:28 pm

Perhaps "atrocious" isn't the right word. It's just not a WHIP I'd want on my fantasy team that's all.
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby J35J » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:37 pm

AngryMonkey wrote:

Perhaps "atrocious" isn't the right word. It's just not a WHIP I'd want on my fantasy team that's all.

There are currently only 35 SP with a better WHIP right now. I'd say having a guy or 2 on you're roster with a 1.27 WHIP is an ok thing....unless you're in an 8 team league. :?
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Postby RyeWhiskey » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:56 pm

There are currently only 35 SP with a better WHIP right now. I'd say having a guy or 2 on you're roster with a 1.27 WHIP is an ok thing....unless you're in an 8 team league.

Fair enough. Though I've got Santana (1.05), Peavy (1.07), Haren (0.94), Maine (1.20), Gorzelanny (1.28), and Marshall (1.08) on my team, and so I'm tentative to add in more WHIP-heavy pitchers. I like my peripherals to be low and nasty.
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers