Saltalamacchia - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Saltalamacchia

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Saltalamacchia

Postby alchemy » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:11 pm

I bet he periodically spells McCann behind the plate and starts against most lefties at 1B as Thorman is not perceived to be able to hit lefties.

If the Braves are very much in the mix at trade deadline, they trade Saltalamacchia for a starting pitcher.

Baseball America has him projected as an outfielder by year 2010. But from what I've seen, he has looked pretty good behind the plate (except for one or two games where opposing teams seemed to run at will).

My question, as a side discussion, is whether the Braves are actually committed to Scott Thorman or if they seem him as a long term platoon option at best.
alchemy
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RyeWhiskey » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:53 pm

All these people like Andy Behrens advise you to pick up Salty, but what good is it if his playing time is so irregular?

His fantasy worth is the fact that he is a solid hitter who will hit above .300 and has decent power. His hitting ability at the C position makes him highly valuable. And yes, his playing time is irregular, but its a matter of value: do you take the mediocre C who plays everyday or the better C who plays less often?

My question, as a side discussion, is whether the Braves are actually committed to Scott Thorman or if they seem him as a long term platoon option at best.

I believe the Braves are committed to Thorman at 1st because his power potential is HUGE.
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:57 pm

I really don't think the Braves are that high on Thorman. They'll probably treat him like Adam LaRoche: basically, he'll be platooned for a couple years until he's just hitting too well to justify sitting him against LHP. Salty fits nicely into this plan, at least for the time being and maybe until this off-season.

That said, if the Braves decide they can't live without Salty's bat in the lineup, I don't think they'd have much trouble deciding to either bench Thor or platoon him in LF.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby skapur20 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:21 pm

His fantasy worth is the fact that he is a solid hitter who will hit above .300 and has decent power. His hitting ability at the C position makes him highly valuable. And yes, his playing time is irregular, but its a matter of value: do you take the mediocre C who plays everyday or the better C who plays less often?

couldnt have said it better than myself. i dont play in a league like billyhalldiciples where theres alot of good catchers jus floating around

id rather take the guy who plays less but plays a HELL of alot better when he does. and its not like hes playing THAT much less than most catchers who get regular days off. between spelling mcann behind the plate and platooning with thorman at 1b, hes playing a decent amount of games each week

that said id love to see him play everyday, but im quite content with what hes doing at C from me(comming from a guy who had a mix of hernandez, napoli, and buck for most of the year)

i believe as time goes on and the way hes playing, theres no way he wont be a factor in the lineup, hes jus been way too good not to be
ummm lets go angels? :)
skapur20
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:06 pm

Dudes, just to clear up a misunderstanding here - I actually agree with you on things from the catcher angle that you're talking about, I just didn't make myself clear when I posted - I was actually thinking of adding him to my utility spot as an extra hitter but my bad, I failed to state that so that's where the misunderstanding came in.

Also, the reason he's still available in my league is because each team only has to carry one catcher. If we all had to carry two then hell yeah, Salty would be money right now.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bwanna » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:15 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:All these people like Andy Behrens advise you to pick up Salty, but what good is it if his playing time is so irregular? It just causes headaches. I've picked him up and dropped him twice already thinking he might get more PT. I don't even know if he's worth stashing unless it looks like a lock for more PT or if he gets traded. He's on my radar, but I don't really know about getting him right now unless you have a roster spot to burn while waiting it out to see what happens.

What good does it do? Well, I'd rather have a catcher that hits when he's in the line up that one who is in the line up on a regular basis who keeps dropping 0-fer's.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:02 pm

Bwanna wrote:
BillyHallDisciple wrote:All these people like Andy Behrens advise you to pick up Salty, but what good is it if his playing time is so irregular? It just causes headaches. I've picked him up and dropped him twice already thinking he might get more PT. I don't even know if he's worth stashing unless it looks like a lock for more PT or if he gets traded. He's on my radar, but I don't really know about getting him right now unless you have a roster spot to burn while waiting it out to see what happens.

What good does it do? Well, I'd rather have a catcher that hits when he's in the line up that one who is in the line up on a regular basis who keeps dropping 0-fer's.

Exactly. If Salty is going to give you ~250 AB and bat .320, I'll take that all day over a Catcher who's going to give me 500 AB and bat .250, even if the difference in HR, R, and RBI are negligible. Would you rather have Salty's current .325, with 4/10/10 or Gerald Laird's .235 with 3/24/25 in nearly three times as many AB? Sure, getting the additional 14 Runs, and 15 RBI is going to bump you, but having 225 AB at .235 is just crushing your AVG. So, if your team can sustain having a player who doesn't contribute to the counting side of fantasy categories, he's definitely worth snagging or at least stashing.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby Oatsdad » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:06 pm

Okay, I'm drinkin' the Kool-Ade again. I tried Salty a few weeks ago in my two catcher league but got sick of all his DNP days. Someone else snagged him there, but he was available in my roto league, so I dropped Ramon Hernandez for him. Kills me to drop Hernandez again - he's SO good when he's good. But he's been SO bad SO much of the time that he's killing me...
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby interchange » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:13 am

Ramon's gonna get hot now that I dropped him, I have a feeling. :) Batting cleanup too, with a dinger tonight.

Anyway, I just picked up Salty. Why? Because I just traded and got McCann too. Hopefully he will turn it round. I think it's a good move. With daily lineup changes, I can ensure I get someone playing the C spot every day.
interchange
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TexDawg45 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:38 am

http://www.startsalty.com

Check this link out.
TexDawg45
College Coach
College Coach