Astacio for Boone??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Astacio for Boone???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Astacio for Boone???

Postby mm92280 » Mon May 13, 2002 1:44 am

I would be giving up Astacio on a 14 team league, I currently have Marlon Anderson starting for me at 2nd base. Do you think giving Astacio is too much??
mm92280
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Mon May 13, 2002 5:12 am

If your pitching can handle losing Astacio, I think this is a good deal. In terms of value, Boone and Astacio are close, and if you can fill a need, I'd do so. Plus, Boone seems to be heating up, with a nine-game hitting streak and a whopping ten walks (compared with eight k's) in those games. Looks good to me.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mktgteach » Mon May 13, 2002 3:30 pm

I agree with Arlo, Astacio is still getting used to a new team, and the Mets don't seem to be gelling as a team quite yet. Boone hits in a solid lineup and I always believe in position scarcity. You always add value to the catcher, 2nd basemen, and shortstops. Since Boone is one of the top 4 (Soriano, Alomar, and Kent), I would pull the trigger immediately. ;-D
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Chris » Mon May 13, 2002 3:40 pm

Like Arlo said, if you can afford it. Since it's a 14-team league, a quality 2b like Boone is hard to come by. If you have a real ace on your pitching staff and maybe another pitcher or 2 like Astacio to offset his loss somewhat, then you'd be winning on this deal bigtime. If your pitching would be weak after the trade, you should maybe just pass on this and see if there is a cheaper alternative to upgrading at 2b.
Chris
Chris
T-Ball Trainer

Postby timkell » Mon May 13, 2002 6:18 pm

Ditto to all of the above. I'd say you can find many more Astacio-like pitchers than you can find Boone-like 2b's.

You won't find them on the waiver wire, though, so the only potential drawback is what it does to your roster. If you have another top second baseman, then it might not be worth it. If you don't, it definitely worth it!

If it puts you in a desperate pitcher situation, where you may be forced to do a bad trade to replace Astacio, then it might not be right.

Not knowing your roster, though, I'd say Boone is definitely worth Astacio without the other considerations.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers