The Hunter Pence Topic...ROTY or sell high? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Hunter Pence Topic...ROTY or sell high?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Hunter Pence Topic...ROTY or sell high?

Postby Crystalstorm » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:50 pm

Pence will hit the wall in the 2nd half.Like most Rookies Do.I'd sell him high before pitchers coaches start to figure out his weeknesses.Which will be very soon.Hamilton Will pbobably have a beter 2nd half than Pence IMO.
Crystalstorm
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bwanna » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:01 am

AdvRider wrote:Got a good look at young Hunter vs. the Mets this week on TV … wow. Very impressed. :-L

His demeanor and zeal at the plate and obvious talent in going to the opposite field suggests the kid is the real deal. He’s a hit waiting to happen. Made me think of Ted Williams somehow …

Picked Pence up for all four teams in early May and having been reaping the rewards ever since ... including a decent 7 SBs.

Will be interesting to see how bobbing_headz’ trade of Pence for Wells pans out. No doubt Vernon is talented, but he’s also fat with that seven-year, $126 million contract extension signed last December.

Hungry rookie vs. streaky multimillionaire set for life? I’d put my money on the rook. B-)

No way. Over-hyped rookie love ^.

I'm a big fan of Hunter, but I have both in multiple leagues, and my money is on Vernon... big time.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:17 am

AdvRider wrote:Hungry rookie vs. streaky multimillionaire set for life? I’d put my money on the rook. B-)

That's silly logic, to me. Carlos Lee just signed a $100 million deal this past off-season. Putting your money on the hungry rookie over him? How about over some other super rich players like Manny? Beltran? How about the quarter billion dollar man, A-Rod, who has been called streaky more times than I can count? Still taking the hungry rookie? Sounds like a mancrush to me.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby AdvRider » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:14 am

bigh0rt wrote:
AdvRider wrote:Hungry rookie vs. streaky multimillionaire set for life? I’d put my money on the rook. B-)

That's silly logic, to me. Carlos Lee just signed a $100 million deal this past off-season. Putting your money on the hungry rookie over him? How about over some other super rich players like Manny? Beltran? How about the quarter billion dollar man, A-Rod, who has been called streaky more times than I can count? Still taking the hungry rookie? Sounds like a mancrush to me.

Yep, mancrush and a penchant for the occasional gamble in fantasy baseball. Of course, after I wrote that, young Hunter went on 1-for-8 tear against the Mets… :-?

As for Vernon, his .256 BA this season is not only below the league average, it’s also the lowest of his MLB career at the ASG break dating to 2002. You've got to wonder if something, or several million green things, triggered a decline in performance (e.g., his horrid May, 1 HR, 7 RBIs, 0 SBs).

Feel free to slap me upside the head at the end of September if Wells ends up with better second half digits than Pence, but I’m sticking with the rook. :-)
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Yoda » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:20 am

AdvRider wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

Yep, mancrush and a penchant for the occasional gamble in fantasy baseball. Of course, after I wrote that, young Hunter went on 1-for-8 tear against the Mets… :-?

As for Vernon, his .256 BA this season is not only below the league average, it’s also the lowest of his MLB career at the ASG break dating to 2002. You've got to wonder if something, or several million green things, triggered a decline in performance (e.g., his horrid May, 1 HR, 7 RBIs, 0 SBs).

Feel free to slap me upside the head at the end of September if Wells ends up with better second half digits than Pence, but I’m sticking with the rook. :-)

I think it will be a toss up between Pence and Wells (only because Wells has a history of underperforming) but using contract as a reason for a player's success/failure is beyond ridiculous.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dmendro » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:06 pm

bobbing_headz wrote:I just pulled a deal trading him for V. Wells which is an absolutely spectacular deal. If you can get value like that then absolutely do it.

That is an awful deal. Vernon Wells had a fluke year last year and has been extremely unspectacular. What Pence is doing he has done in every single league up to this point.

If anything Pence's BB:K rate should get better, for two reasons, meaning higher OBP. First reason is that his BB:KK rate in the minors was about 6:10. In the majors so far it's been about 2:10. I would expect it to split the difference and settle somewhere around 4:10 by the end of the year. That is about normal for a power hitter type of guy. Second reason is the dude just hit 24 years old this year. He's still going to get better with his patience.

I would expect a slight sophmore slump next year as most ML'ers tend to struggle a little their second year. He's a fantastic long term keeper, and I don't see hims lowing down the rest of the year.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Ender » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:05 am

If its not a keeper league than Wells for Pence is a steal... Pence MIGHT be good in the 2nd half and he might fall off the face of the earth, you know that Wells will give you at least top 6 round production.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Members Only Jackets » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:23 am

in a keeper, would u deal Pence for Phill Hughes?
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby pelotero » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:01 am

I have an offer on the table that I send Bay and get Pence.. I'm kind of sick of Bay and his slump.. I have Soriano, C. Lee, Bay, and Big Papi as DH.

I'm currently 1st in my league and prolly will take the chance..

I hope it doesn;t come back and haunt me..

R>.
"Born with a glove"
pelotero
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers