Ban alcohol from baseball games - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ban alcohol from baseball games

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Should alcohol be banned from baseball games?

Yes
14%
No
86%

Total votes : 97

Re: Ban alcohol from baseball games

Postby great gretzky » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:45 am

fair enough, but with the way things are these days, one hears stuff like that all the time.

It's a tough balance, and I don't know what the answer is, but not selling beer isn't one of them. I believe ti would have the opposite effect and ultimately make the whole thing too costly for kids to go regularly. They out to just have more ushers or something.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CrashOverrid3 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:53 am

Our country would probably go into mass hysteria if we banned alcohol from anything.

It's quite a joke really, and then it gets justified because supposedly it's good for you in some way or another.

I wouldn't have a problem with it if it wasn't liquid courage/stupidity, but it is and it kills far to many people.
*I created this sig
CrashOverrid3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RAmst23 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:07 pm

Well my argument against this would be; what exactly do you think you're buying a ticket to?? This is a professional sporting event, the whole purpose of it is entertainment. The game runs on fans and people enjoying themselves at the ballgame, why remove something people enjoy? Sometimes people do get a little intoxicated at ballgames, and that's too bad. But it's not as if the ballpark staff ignore the problems at the ballpark, they're happy to help and remove overly annoying drunk patrons.

Banning alcohol won't prevent people from being drunks and idiots at the game. And I agree with "think of the children" as being a poor argument in this debate. Because from my standpoint, it's the kids I find most annoying at ballgames and not the drunks, and I'm rarely anywhere near drunk at the ballpark. It's not like you're suprising parents with the fact that there's alcohol and obscene language at the ballpark, that's pretty well known. I don't get annoyed when they serve alcohol at a bar, they shouldn't be annoyed when alcohol is served at the ballgame.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby jfg » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:27 pm

We have a family section at the Dome. It used to be upper deck behind home plate (my favorite seats at the dome for the price) but they switched it to the corner of right field two years ago. I think it's 13 bucks a ticket and comes with a complimentary soda. It was the best deal ever when they were behind home plate (they were only 10 bucks then, soda included). The only problem is that it's one puny section. It doesn't sell out but alcohol is served in the section right next to you. But, at least you lower the chances of your kid overhearing something they shouldn't.

But, I think the best thing to do when taking your kid to the game is not buy the cheap tickets or bleacher seats. Granted, if you live in NY or Boston you're going to have problems avoiding bad situations because you will always have to sit next to someone, but any other town you can buy seats that you can move from if there is a problem, or spend a little more money and sit in a section that is more for people actually out to watch the game, like behind home plate.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby Field » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:10 pm

Not all stadiums have really expensive beers. I went to a 'stros game a few years ago (Clemens vs. Maddux; first time 300 game winners faced off in like 30 years or something close to that) and they had 24 oz. Heinken's for $5 or $6. That is a hell of a deal, and you can definitely afford to get a solid buzz going with those prices. I only wish Fenway was the same way :~( .
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:24 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:
great gretzky wrote:jesus, I get so sick of the "think of the children argument."

Sure, but sometimes you can be seated next to some truly obscene (and loud) conversations that are absolutely inappropriate for a public place with kids around. Sexually explicit, etc etc. A post-fifth inning ban would be a decent compromise.

EDIT: A 'family section' would be great.

i assumed most stadiums did...i know Comerica and Ford Field in Detroit do
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby shawngee03 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:37 pm

Field wrote:Not all stadiums have really expensive beers. I went to a 'stros game a few years ago (Clemens vs. Maddux; first time 300 game winners faced off in like 30 years or something close to that) and they had 24 oz. Heinken's for $5 or $6. That is a hell of a deal, and you can definitely afford to get a solid buzz going with those prices. I only wish Fenway was the same way :~( .

first off, i know im going to catch heat for this, but if they banned alcohol from ballparks i would stop going. i go to the games to have fun, kind of like going to a bar, but w a ballgame going on.

and the current beer prices at the juice box are $8 24 oz domestics, and $9 24 oz corona, heiny, or shiners in teh club level. so if you average it out thats only $4 a beer, which is almost as cheap as at a bar. its great :*)
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:55 pm

talan37 wrote:It takes 20 minutes to get to the train station, average 5 minutes way for the train, Hicksville to penn station, 45minutes average, walk to the subway 5minutes, subway ride 15ish minutes(don't remember approximating, then walk 5 minutes to stadium.

20+5+45+5+15+5=95minutes, and thats assuming you get on the subway immediately, there is no traffic to the train station, you don't wait more than 5 minutes at the station etc...

Its mostly a function of where I live on the island, than the island itself.

Why don't you take the Hicksville train to Woodside and take the 7 train from there. Just a suggestion.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby sportsaddict » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:28 pm

I'm not for banning alcohol at baseball games. I think that would be a terrible idea. Let people make their own decisions, its not alcohol's fault that people are stupid enough to drink 10 beers and then drive home.

Yes, there are kids at the game, but if parents don't think they can handle what goes on at games they obviously shouldn't be there. Still, if it ever gets to the point where a kid walks into the stadium and immediately see thousands of drunks screaming curse words, then maybe something should be done. But we're not even close to that point.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers