268 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

268

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

268

Postby Giambis » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:15 am

Nothing major in this post, but after last night's game, Erik Bedard sits at 129 k's, leading all of baseball by 14, and is on pace for 268 strikeouts for the year!!

While he'll probably slow down somewhat, who predicted that by the end of June, he'd be where he is right now?

Anyone think he'll get to 250?

Props to Canada.
Giambis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 483
Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 268

Postby Buster Douglas » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:43 pm

I don't think he'll get 250. I think he'll need 220 innings to get that, which I just don't think he'll get, either because of small aches and pains or because the O's will take it easy with him down the stretch. I think 230 is more likely. Still not too shabby. :-°
Buster Douglas
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 110
Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 268

Postby Giambis » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:38 am

Update. Bedard currently on pace for 271.
Giambis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 483
Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 268

Postby abrunn11 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:32 pm

Giambis wrote:Nothing major in this post, but after last night's game, Erik Bedard sits at 129 k's, leading all of baseball by 14, and is on pace for 268 strikeouts for the year!!

While he'll probably slow down somewhat, who predicted that by the end of June, he'd be where he is right now?

Anyone think he'll get to 250?

Props to Canada.



Just curious how you arrived at 271 K's? I have him at 277.4. Since the Orioles have played 87/162 games, he is averaging 1.7126436 K/game. 1.7126436 X 162 = 277.44826. Thaty being said, Bedard would have to pitch around 226 innings (32 more than his career high) to reach 277 K's (his current pace) I think a solid 230-250 is reasonable with his high side being at 260, which would be more than anyone in the past two seasons have had.
Image
abrunn11
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 453
Joined: 24 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 268

Postby thedude » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:35 pm

abrunn11 wrote:
Giambis wrote:Nothing major in this post, but after last night's game, Erik Bedard sits at 129 k's, leading all of baseball by 14, and is on pace for 268 strikeouts for the year!!

While he'll probably slow down somewhat, who predicted that by the end of June, he'd be where he is right now?

Anyone think he'll get to 250?

Props to Canada.



Just curious how you arrived at 271 K's? I have him at 277.4. Since the Orioles have played 87/162 games, he is averaging 1.7126436 K/game. 1.7126436 X 162 = 277.44826. Thaty being said, Bedard would have to pitch around 226 innings (32 more than his career high) to reach 277 K's (his current pace) I think a solid 230-250 is reasonable with his high side being at 260, which would be more than anyone in the past two seasons have had.


ESPN predicts 271.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/p ... atsId=6910
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Re: 268

Postby cordscords » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:35 pm

cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4346
(Past Year: 23)
Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 268

Postby abrunn11 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:45 pm

thedude wrote:
abrunn11 wrote:
Giambis wrote:Nothing major in this post, but after last night's game, Erik Bedard sits at 129 k's, leading all of baseball by 14, and is on pace for 268 strikeouts for the year!!

While he'll probably slow down somewhat, who predicted that by the end of June, he'd be where he is right now?

Anyone think he'll get to 250?

Props to Canada.



Just curious how you arrived at 271 K's? I have him at 277.4. Since the Orioles have played 87/162 games, he is averaging 1.7126436 K/game. 1.7126436 X 162 = 277.44826. Thaty being said, Bedard would have to pitch around 226 innings (32 more than his career high) to reach 277 K's (his current pace) I think a solid 230-250 is reasonable with his high side being at 260, which would be more than anyone in the past two seasons have had.


ESPN predicts 271.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/p ... atsId=6910



Maybe my math is wrong. Math was never my strong suit.
Image
abrunn11
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 453
Joined: 24 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 268

Postby bceagles04 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:04 pm

I remember back 8-9 years when pitchers hit the 300K mark on a regular basis.

Pedro had 305 in 97, then 313 in 99 and then just missed by 16 in 2000.

Randy Johnson hit 308 in 93, 294 in 95, 291 in 97, and from 98-02 he went: 339, 364, 347, 374, 332...WOW :-° :-° :-°

In 97, and 98, Schilling went 319, and 300...then in 2002 he had 316.

Clemens never went up over 300, but he was routinely well over 200, and K'd as many as 291, and 292.

Were all these 300K seasons the result of 3 dominant strikeout pitchers (Pedro, RJ, and Schilling,) or are pitchers treated differently today? A lot of the 300 game seasons were a result of over 250 innings pitcherd...do you think if the Johan's and Bedard's of the league could reach 300K's if they pitched that manning innings (without injury???)
Image
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3089
Joined: 8 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: at my computer

Re: 268

Postby Buster Douglas » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:12 am

He's up to 278 after last night. Anyone's thoughts on Bedard as a top ten starter in a keeper?
Buster Douglas
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 110
Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 268

Postby Giambis » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:23 am

He's at 181 on the season now, on pace for 277.

11-4, 1.09 whip, 3.05 era. Cy Young consideration?

Sorry, my man crush is showing.
Giambis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 483
Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Oct. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact