Jason Bay....a disappearing act - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jason Bay....a disappearing act

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jason Bay....a disappearing act

Postby yossarian » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:00 pm

Bay is on my bench till he does something--anything for me. %-6 :-P
yossarian
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby os_gamejunkie » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:56 pm

Yoda wrote:Anyone recall the preseason Holliday/Bay debate?

Two years there was a column on this website: Draft Day Dilemma Bay or Abreu? Wow have htings changed.
os_gamejunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:10 pm

Corey Hart has already surpassed or almost caught up to Bay in a few offensive categories, in almost 100 fewer at-bats.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:36 pm

Today is my last day with this pile of poop, Roy Halladay here I come. Good riddance to this non base stealing, wiffle bat swingin' bum, I can't believe I wasted a 4th rounder on him.

Anyone have a good reason to why Bay isn't stealing bases? Is Tracy real conservative? I don't remember the Dodgers being afraid to run when he was managing in LA.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SmartassBoiler » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:51 pm

TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:Today is my last day with this pile of poop, Roy Halladay here I come. Good riddance to this non base stealing, wiffle bat swingin' bum, I can't believe I wasted a 4th rounder on him.

Anyone have a good reason to why Bay isn't stealing bases? Is Tracy real conservative? I don't remember the Dodgers being afraid to run when he was managing in LA.

At least 2 Pirates fans have said that his base stealing 2 years ago was a big fluke.

I don't think getting rid of him now is real bright...his value is about as low as It goes and he will get hot again.
SmartassBoiler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:06 am

I think Halladay is plenty good enough value for him
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Splendid61 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:54 am

JTWood wrote:
thecrownjewels wrote:Where has he been lately. I know he's pretty streaky, but geez. His numbers have been very pedestrian. This is the first year I have owned him and at this point I think I may have overpaid on draft day. .270 BA, 12 HR, 1 SB, 48 RBI, 41 R. Should I be worried or do you guys believe he'll have a monstrous 2nd half? Thoughts?

One word: Pittsburgh.

I don't think playing on a poor team is a factor in Bay's recent struggles. Sure, being on the Pirates limits his peripherals but it isn't causing his poor numbers in this case.

In 2005, Bay walked once every 7.3 plate appearances (or 13.7% of the time).
In 2006, Bay walked once every 6.6 plate appearances (or 15.2% of the time).
This season, he's walking once every 9.7 plate appearances (or 10.3% of the time).

If the Pirates' poor production around him was the cause, Bay would see less hit-able pitches and essentially be pitched around. That means a high amount of walks, which hasn't been the care this year. Bay's struggles are his own doing.
Splendid61
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Laean » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:57 pm

c'mon guys. he's obvious going to get better. he's better than this. yeah if he finishes the season like this then he's not all that. but c'mon. the guy's never finished with lower than .900 ops in a season, as a rookie, sophomore, first full season, whatever. NEVER. he's at what, low .800s right now? it's only half the season now. every single year, there are plenty of players who slump one half then go nuts the other half. he's a BUY LOW.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jfg » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:58 pm

Ender wrote:
Ender wrote:That being said I'll take Holliday. Bay was crappy most of the year last year and just had a couple hot streaks keeping up his stats, Holliday was more consistant and I think the rockies have a better offense than the pirates.

Oooh I love looking back at threads where I was actually right!

How about this one?

jfg wrote:Those PECOTA numbers seem pretty low for Holliday. Zips have him at about 28 homers as well. I think he's going to hit at least 35 maybe more. Add the superior average and I think he could be top 5 by year end. Bay will help you in all cats but won't be elite in any. I'll take the guy who is elite in at least one cat with the potential this year to be elite in all but one.

OK, so I might have been wrong about the homeruns. That said, I traded up in my league (you get to keep 3 players) for the #3 pick overall to get him but Holliday was swiped right before me and I got stuck with Bay. :~(
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby Raf » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:15 pm

Great news regarding bay.. He appears to be out of the lineup today, which can only mean that he will go 0/0 or 0/1 instead of the usual 0/4 or 0/5! Great news if he is in your lineup today.
Raf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers