Guitar Hero - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Video Games

Guitar Hero

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Guitar Hero

Postby J35J » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:22 pm

Just wondering what all the hype is with this game? I'm not a video game player so I really have no idea....I'm really just curious more than anything, it seems people that have no music or guitar knowledge at all like it? Whats the deal, how do you play, what do you do, whats so fun about it?

Just curious, thanks!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Guitar Hero

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:08 pm

To be honest, I don't even know what's so fun about it, but it's one of the most addicting games I've played. Like you said, you need no musical knowledge nor do you need to know how to play guitar.

The controller looks like this:
or
depending on what console you play it on.

The game consists of "notes" scrolling across the screen. You have to play the notes by pressing the corresponding colored button and string button as they scroll across. The notes correspond to the guitar part of whatever song you're playing. Here's an example in video since it's sort of hard to explain (that video is the hardest song in the game on the highest difficulty, so don't worry...it's not that hard).

So as you can see the "notes" really have nothing to do with musical notes, therefore no musical knowledge required. Like I said, it's hard to explain. The best way to find out is just play it, because almost everyone who has comes back saying it was a blast and they want to go pick it up for themselves.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Boyakasha » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:39 pm

The other thing that draws you into the game is that it sort of pokes fun at itself and guitar playing. Let's be honest, a lot of rock stars and great rock songs are pretty campy, but get away with it because it's rock and roll. So, sometimes, you'll find yourself playing a riff or a section that you've heard a million times in a million different rocks songs and it'll make you start cracking up. But, it's completely on purpose...for instance, to activate Star Power to get higher multipliers, you have to yank the guitar vertically. It's a totally cheesy rock move, but it draws you into the whole thing. The game makes me want to give the devil horns and start headbanging; something I would never be caught dead doing at any other time.

Also, it's one of the few video games that combine auditory and visual cues together.

And, it can be pretty satisfying to master a hard song that you once had trouble with.
Boyakasha
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:15 am

The thing that makes this game so great is the simplicity of it all. You can literally jump in and start playing in 30 seconds. But it's not a shallow game by any means, and takes hours upon hours to really master. You combine the two, and you have the recipe for one addictive game.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby J35J » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:40 am

Thanks for the responeses! It all makes some sense......I guess. :? !+) ;7
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Bwanna » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:44 am

It has the same basis as those DDR (Dance Dance Revolotion) games -- mimic what you see on the screen -- except with your hands, not your feet.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:31 pm

pokerplaya wrote:The thing that makes this game so great is the simplicity of it all. You can literally jump in and start playing in 30 seconds. But it's not a shallow game by any means, and takes hours upon hours to really master. You combine the two, and you have the recipe for one addictive game.

exactly...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VgVG73TE0Tw

here a video of the game. you play it just like that using the guitar teddy posted.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:48 am

If you google FretsOfFire you will find an opensource PC/LInux/Mac Guitar Hero clone that uses the Keyboard as the guitar... its pretty sweet ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Bwanna » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:31 pm

acsguitar wrote:If you google FretsOfFire you will find an opensource PC/LInux/Mac Guitar Hero clone that uses the Keyboard as the guitar... its pretty sweet ;-D

http://fretsonfire.sourceforge.net/
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby IrishSox14 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:16 pm

This game is really really fun but very very hard! I'm not too good at it and its hard to get my timing down :-° :-[
IrishSox14
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Video Games