Jay Bruce Watch - solid in AAA - look for him in Sept? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Jay Bruce Watch - solid in AAA - look for him in Sept?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jay Bruce Watch

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:41 pm

rmande09 wrote:I'm nearly 100% certain he signed when he was 18 years old.

DOB - 04/03/87 + Signed - 06/10/2005 = 18 YO
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 117)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jay Bruce Watch

Postby FrontRowFan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:24 pm

Like most young guys, Bruce does K a little too much (85K's in 82G). But like stated earlier the guy can RAKE!!
Check out my blog -- The Yacker:
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/FrontRowFan
FrontRowFan
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Re: Jay Bruce Watch - Promoted to AAA

Postby in10s » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:31 am

As you can tell from this thread, I've been watching Jay Bruce. But I didn't expect this promotion.

I started the year with a really solid team, 4 great players in my farm system and decided to trade any of them to get to the championship this year. As the season when on, I shifted and wanted to hold on to Bruce if I could. Gone are Upton and Stewart, I still have Rasmus and Bruce. Now I would have to get blown away by a trade to get Bruce.

Final AA numbers from MILB.com

AVE G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS
.333 16 66 10 22 7 1 4 15 43 8 20 2 1 .405 .652 1.057

Only two games in AAA so far, 7 AB, 1 HR, no other hits, 1 BB, 1 K.

In previous posts, I thought he would be in AA all year and was wrong. Now I wonder if he will be a Sept call up with a shot to start the year next year in the bigs. Depends on performance. Prove himself in AAA, get a call in Sept. Outside of bombing or injury, you know he is going to get a spring training invite for '08. Then the bigs in 08 depending on performance.

Ahead of schedule if you ask me, I hope they aren't rushing him.
in10s
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Jay Bruce Watch - Promoted to AAA - might be temporary?

Postby in10s » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:40 am

oops, I may have jumped the gun? From the Cincinnati Post at http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... 30323/1027 it says
The Reds promoted outfielder Jay Bruce to Class AAA Louisville .... He is expected to be with Louisville for a week with the Bats low on position players.

And from a blog at http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=262&F ... 9&T=712106
He's with the Bats while Dewayne Wise is on the DL....What if he's hitting .400 when Wise gets healthy? "That's something we'll have to decide at the time," player development director Terry Reynolds said.
in10s
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Jay Bruce Watch - Promoted to AAA - might be temporary?

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:33 pm

Fellow Futures Gamer Jay Bruce is also in Triple-A, but it might not be for long. He got called up to replace the injured Dewayne Wise and could go back to Double-A when Wise returns. Of course, if the 2005 first-rounder is hitting, will the Reds really impede his progress? He homered in his first Triple-A game, but that's been about it in four total games. Still, the fact that the Reds were willing to move him up shows how close he is. A September callup is a possibility, and it could happen even sooner if the Reds are big-time sellers at deadline time.
Futures Exchange MLB.COM
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 117)

Re: Jay Bruce Watch - solid in AAA - look for him in Sept?

Postby in10s » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:24 am

I haven't updated this thread in a while...

Baseball America ranked him second overall on its midseason top 25 prospects list.

Bruce was called up to AAA just to replace Dewayne Wise while he was on the DL. He had an uneven start, but look at the numbers now:

95 PA, 3 2B, 2 3B, 7 HR, 15 RBI, .314 Ave, .379 obp, .640 slg.

After starting the year in A+ and he has been about as solid as you can get.

From http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 3/-1/CINCI it said:
It is possible the Reds will keep Bruce at Triple-A even when Wise is ready. “He’s played well enough to where we’re certainly going to have to consider that,” said Terry Reynolds, the Reds’ director of player development. “But we haven’t made that decision yet.”

My guess is they won't send him back to AA. That would make no sense. And I'm hoping they call him up in September, just to give him a taste of the bigs.
in10s
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GabbyJay » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:13 am

2 for 4 with a run and an RBI again today. Hard to justify sending him back to AA.
GabbyJay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby in10s » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:46 am

Ugh, send the bum down to AA, he went 0-3 with a K in Sunday's game. :-b

This kid is amazing. After his uneven start in AAA, he has been pulled all of his stats up, for example his ops is now 1.002

Like many (most?) this young, you wonder if he can be a long term top player in the bigs without better pitch selection. (too many K's too few BB) But since he is only 4 months past his 20th birthday, you gotta assume that will come. Last night broke a six game hitting streak during which:

6G, 24PA, 11H, 1D, 3HR, 6RBI, 5R, 1BB, 6K

From A+ to (hopefully) Sept. call up in one season.
in10s
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Wrangor » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:50 pm

in10s wrote:I haven't updated this thread in a while...

Baseball America ranked him second overall on its midseason top 25 prospects list.

Bruce was called up to AAA just to replace Dewayne Wise while he was on the DL. He had an uneven start, but look at the numbers now:

95 PA, 3 2B, 2 3B, 7 HR, 15 RBI, .314 Ave, .379 obp, .640 slg.

After starting the year in A+ and he has been about as solid as you can get.

From http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 3/-1/CINCI it said:
It is possible the Reds will keep Bruce at Triple-A even when Wise is ready. “He’s played well enough to where we’re certainly going to have to consider that,” said Terry Reynolds, the Reds’ director of player development. “But we haven’t made that decision yet.”

My guess is they won't send him back to AA. That would make no sense. And I'm hoping they call him up in September, just to give him a taste of the bigs.

Good point...I agree with that, I couldnt find it on their web site...didnt know it was for subscribers only.
Last edited by Wrangor on Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wrangor
College Coach
College Coach

Postby in10s » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:15 pm

Wrangor wrote:
in10s wrote:I haven't updated this thread in a while...

Bruce was called up ....

You got the top 10 from that midseason update? Just curious as to how they broke it down...thanks.

Sorry, I don't have it. The Baseball America rankings in the off-season are free, the mid-season one is for pay subscribers only, and I don't pay them. I saw a news article in a Cincy paper quoting him as #2 on the list.

And I would ask if anyone does have it, don't publish it here. Baseball America provides so much content for free, we should respect their right to make money too. Let people who need the mid-season list that badly subscribe to their service.
in10s
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball